Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel’s joke...I don’t get it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel’s joke...I don’t get it
    Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:07
What do you think about PG's answer (in red below)?

Eno, Gabriel, Peas Set For World Cup Kickoff
December 01, 2005, 11:10 AM ET
Germany will stage the World Cup's first opening gala next year, but organizers yesterday (Nov. 30) promised it will be nothing like the extravaganzas seen at the Olympics and the Super Bowl.

Artistic director Andre Heller, who unveiled a creative team that includes Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel, aims to keep the June 7 spectacle a surprise but he promised the gala will have no parade of superstars and will not echo the local themes used at other major sporting events.

"We have an enormous space to fill but we won't do it with banal figures," he said. Performers will include American soprano Jessye Norman, the Black Eyed Peas, Algerian singer Cheb Khaled and around 5,000 volunteers.

Previous World Cups have held opening ceremonies that typically lasted about an hour immediately before the first match. World Cup 2006 will start what world governing body FIFA hopes will be a new tradition -- a separate festivity to mark the start of the tournament, in this case two days before the first ball is kicked.

Eno is composing a 2006 World Cup anthem using instruments from across the world to form a very different orchestra. Music director Gabriel promised to "make some noise." Asked why he had signed up, he joked, "It's the same attraction for a musician as for a footballer -- money, sex and drugs."

CM8ShowAd("Middle");
Heller is relying on inspiration from avant-garde choreographer Philippe Decoufle. The Frenchman shot to fame after he directed the surreal Cirque du Soleil-style opening and closing ceremonies at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville.

Decoufle's shows featured a polka with braying donkey sounds mixed with fiddles and figures emerging from the sky, including suspended ski jumpers and an angel to put out the flame. "I saw ceremonies for 30 years. One was different -- Albertville '92. It was a shock that an artist and not a Disney type was putting on the show," Heller said.

Let the sunshine in
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:12
I think he is just comparing to different branches of entertainment (music and sports)...
KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:28

I don't know about the joke but I heard somewhere that Peter Gabriel's plan for the ceremony was to have a red curtain over the goalposts that would rise up like a skirt and the footballs would have little tails on them like sperms. Honsestly. I'm not making it up.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:34
Well, I became a musician so I would get loads of money, sex and drugs. I got no money, very little sex and didn't want the drugs anyway. It's just an old joke about people joining bands to pull more women.
Legoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:41
What about it don't you get, exactly?
Prog-Brazil View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 11:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, I became a musician so I would get loads of money, sex and drugs. I got no money, very little sex and didn't want the drugs anyway. It's just an old joke about people joining bands to pull more women.

Thanks Chopper, I get it.
I thought Mr. Gabriel was trying to get more money, sex and drugs... but this attitude is very incompatible with his live (at least, I think it).

Let the sunshine in
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 12:00
Originally posted by Prog-Brazil Prog-Brazil wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Thanks Chopper, I get it.
I thought Mr. Gabriel was trying to get more money, sex and drugs... but this attitude is very incompatible with his live (at least, I think it).

It's just a perfect example of his sarcasm and British humor.

Footvball playeas and Rock stars are constantly accussed of using drugs, and doing their jobs for sex and money. He was joking with stereotypes.

Drugs scare the sh!t out of Peter,

Sex: He has a young and beautiful wife, so I don't think he needs more.

Money: Well, money is never enough, but Peter prove with his first WOMAD (He lost all his money and Genesis had to make a benefit in Milton Keynes to help him) that money is not hois first priority.

Iván

Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 12:32

Absolutely! He is just trying to make a joke on that... "Very famous people" are use to get involved in sex, drugs and mucho, mucho money + trouble...

I don't think he is admitting that he is seeking for those things... He was asked why did he want to join in this celebration and he, sarcasticaly, said so... He wouldn't have anything else to say, and that's what popped into his mind when he was aked about...

KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 02:28
Originally posted by Don Quito Don Quito wrote:

Absolutely! He is just trying to make a joke on that... "Very famous people" are use to get involved in sex, drugs and mucho, mucho money + trouble...

I don't think he is admitting that he is seeking for those things... He was asked why did he want to join in this celebration and he, sarcasticaly, said so... He wouldn't have anything else to say, and that's what popped into his mind when he was aked about...

And of course a bit of marketing too, if Peter would had answered something like "Because football has always been a passion for me" or anything in that line, his declarations would never reach a single newspaper.

But if you mention the words sex, women, drugs and mix them with Rock and sports, surely you got media coverage.

Yesterday Sean Connery appeared with Barcelona, and the first page on our most serious newspaper was the T-Shirt with the name Connery and the number 007  Jokes sell, so why change this?

While joking, Peter was also making sure he got some headlines.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

TheCrimsonKing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 18:52
Why is Peter scared sh!tless of drugs, and where did you find such information.

Just wondering, I find him as a very neat fellow.
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 20:50
Originally posted by TheCrimsonKing TheCrimsonKing wrote:

Why is Peter scared sh!tless of drugs, and where
did you find such information.Just wondering, I find him as a very neat
fellow.

Gabriel tried special brownies once and he said he almost felt like he was
going to die so stays away from any sort of drug ever since. He said the only
drug that ever interested him was LSD but he was too afraid to take it.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 20:59

Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Originally posted by TheCrimsonKing TheCrimsonKing wrote:

Why is Peter scared sh!tless of drugs, and where
did you find such information.Just wondering, I find him as a very neat
fellow.

Gabriel tried special brownies once and he said he almost felt like he was
going to die so stays away from any sort of drug ever since. He said the only
drug that ever interested him was LSD but he was too afraid to take it.

He said that he found himself away from his house without notion of how he reached that place and his heart beating very fast.

You must add that it has recently been revealed that the guy is Bipolar, and this is an extra risk if you pretend to use drugs, especially if you take medicines that may interact with any illegal substance.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Post Reply Post Reply