Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPete Rose

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you let Pete Rose return to baseball?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [50.00%]
1 [12.50%]
2 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete Rose
    Posted: December 18 2005 at 22:11
Pete Rose has been spending most of his time selling autographs at malls. He was recently quoted to have mentioned he'd like to return back to Major League Baseball as a manger. Should Bud Selig let him return? Apparently, Selig doesn't want him back, but if you were in Selig's shoes, what would you do?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 23:09

Taking steroids, beating wives (and girlfriends), larceny, illegal drug use (and distribution), gambling (ala Michael Jordan), lying to Congress, assault, accessory to murder, taking a s**t in an ex-girlfriend's closet, public decadence (numerous Minnesota Vikings), assaulting fans during a game (several baseball players and most recently Ron Artest in the NBA), punching officials, felony assault during a hockey game (Todd Bertuzzi), serving prison time for drug trafficking (Jamal Lewis of the NFL), the list goes on...

I personally have little sympathy for Pete Rose, largely because he's such a hugely unlikeable human being.  But (other than the gambling), he didn't commit any of the heinous crimes listed above, but all of the people who did are still connected to their respective sports, and none has been "banned for life" or refused any consideration for Hall of Fame consideration.  O.J. is even in the NFL Hall of Fame (I've been there and seen the display - turned my stomach!).  I think Bud Selig's position is a completely capricious act, and simply demonstrates the level of denial that exists in professional sports (and particularly major league baseball) today.

If someone wants to hire the guy, let him back in!  His eligibility for induction into the Hall of Fame expired this year, and he's been banned from the sport he loved and generated millions in revenue for for over twenty years.  The league has their pound of flesh - let it go!

Edited by ClemofNazareth
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 13:34

Simple Solution to the entire mess;

Put Pete Rose into the Baseball Hall of Fame immediately for his Onfield conributions. Then make it clear that Mr. Rose is in fact banned from all Baseball-related activities not associated with the Hall of Fame.

I believe he should be in the Hall of Fame. Nothing more, nothing less.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 14:23
Originally posted by A'swepe A'swepe wrote:

Simple Solution to the entire mess;

Put Pete Rose into the Baseball Hall of Fame immediately for his Onfield conributions. Then make it clear that Mr. Rose is in fact banned from all Baseball-related activities not associated with the Hall of Fame.

I believe he should be in the Hall of Fame. Nothing more, nothing less.

My thoughts exactly.His on field contributions to the game are innumerable.

If you are going to ban people from baseball for life it ought to be the people that have been caught juicing,and all their records or potential records should be wiped from the books.

Post Reply Post Reply