Topic ClosedPilotdrift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pilotdrift
    Posted: December 21 2005 at 00:17
I'd just like to give everyone a heads up on a band they might enjoy: 

Pilotdrift aren't "prog" in the sense that a lot of you would define it, and I'm sure they wouldn't consider themselves "prog" at all, but it seems that there would be a lot of crossover appeal for the band.  They're a Texarkana band that have recently signed with Good Records (the Polyphonic Spree's record label) and released their first album.  They play a lot here in Dallas, and I saw them open for the Spree and fell in love with them.

Don't worry, if you don't like the Spree (and I'm sort of guessing most of you don't) that doesn't mean you should disregard this band, as they're an entirely different animal.  Pilotdrift craft a really interesting keyboard-driven orchestral pop music that takes a lot of wacky turns and complete 180 shifts in direction.  They sound a little bit like the love child of Radiohead and the Flaming Lips as fronted by the Mad Hatter.

No, wait, that didn't make any sense.

Anyway, check out their new album, Water Sphere, and their website www.pilotdrift.com (listen to the streaming music).  I think you might be pleasantly surprised, and this is a band that I think is destined for some really intersting things.  It's not "prog," but it certainly is progressive.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not in any way affiliated with the band.  Just someone who saw their show and thinks they're awesome.

-Colin

EDIT: I just realized that the admins might prefer this in the Non-Prog section.  I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Edited by TalkingDrumm
 Post Reply Post Reply