Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto-Kaw’s new album, quite soon!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto-Kaw’s new album, quite soon!
    Posted: January 16 2006 at 07:27

(Taken from the DPRP)

January 31st will see the release of Proto-Kaw's second album The Wait Of Glory through Inside Out.
Founded by former Kansas songwriter/guitarist Kerry Livgren, Proto-Kaw's Newest Release is the follow-up to the DPRP-recommended debut album Before Became After.

Guided by the songwriting savvy of Livgren, Proto-Kaw's second album proves that the band is no longer just a collaborative effort of old friends and musicians, but a band full of progressive force and stability, able to create musical landmarks without forgetting their storied past.

According to Livgren the aftermath from Before Became After provided the impetus for more things to come. "I think we were very pleased considering where the band came from, which was out of nowhere," said Livgren. "To complete a project like that and have it turn out the way it did, from my perspective, it was not just a bunch of musicians who came together, it was a bunch of guys who hadn't played in literally decades."

However, as the band, which is rounded out by vocalist Lynn Meredith, sax player John Bolton, drummer Brad Schultz, keyboardist Dan Wright and bass player Craig Kew, slowly began to gel, Livgren and company headed into the studio with more confidence than ever before. Now more comfortable with his collective ensemble, The Wait Of Glory became the product of Livgren's more specified vision.

"On The Wait Of Glory, we went into it as a functioning band," said Livgren. "I knew what to expect as a producer and a writer. I knew what the band sounded like and what they were capable of. Before Came After, that was all totally unknown and a roll of the dice. With this album, I was able to write the material envisioning the band that was going to be performing it."

Labeled as a "jammy, progressive rock band", The Wait Of Glory evokes a cinematic, Broadway-like feel, something that wasn't lost on Livgren during the creation of the album.

"I didn't sit down and say I was going to write in this style," said Livgren. "As the music developed, there was a style that was becoming obvious and probably 'cinematic' is a good word. The music is progressive, but progressive I think, in a new way. There are elements of R&B, which is going back to our very early roots before we were called Kansas and this is melded into a progressive thing and I can't think of anyone doing that."

After 30 years in the music biz, Kerry Livgren is still forging ahead, fully aware of his musical legacy with Kansas, but also seemingly against resting on his past laurels. Judging by the complicated and vast nature of The Wait Of Glory, the man is in no hurry to slow down.

"What I'm trying to accomplish now is for me to do something new. That's a not a new thing for me, but I get from people all the time, 'why don't you do another "Dust In the Wind?' Why would I do that? Those songs were what they were and I'd just be imitating myself. So many artists do that. They have one great hit and the rest of their songs imitate that hit. I like to be a moving target (laughs)."
Yanns View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:15

Oh, wow!

This should be a good year. I'm looking forward to it.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 12:01

Again:

Brad Schultz is no longer drumming with P-K.  The new drummer who joined before last years Spring concerts is Mike Patron.  Also I think Jake Livgren will be credited with background vocals. 

I will be going to the CD release party Feb 4. 

Edited by Garion81

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 18:39
Cool Brian. I'll be ordering this one, fer sure!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 15:25

You can hear a few track if you listen to this show tonight.  The times are EST (New York)

Greetings everyone,
Join me tonight for my weekly Internet Radio show, "Green Eggs & Hammell"
every Tuesday night at 10PM-1AM (ET) at The Radiant Flow
(www.theradiantflow.com )

This week on GEAH, listen for new songs from the new Proto-Kaw album! It will be out soon, and is absolutely magnificent! This is the band Kerry Livgren is part of. We also have revamped the audio stream.  It is using a new format called aacPlus.  It is fully compatible with Winamp, versions 5.08 and above, as well as a free program called "Foobar". (details on our site).  HOWEVER, you won't be able to listen to the show, if you have previously installed the mp3Pro decoder, until you disable that.  Details for that, are also on the site's "How To Listen" link.  Great sound, and nothing to install, and even dialup users can hear the show!  Give it a try! We have a great stream 24/7, in addition to the great live shows.

Green Eggs & Hammell is a progressive rock show where the rare and unusual
is the name of the game. Expect to hear "prog-like" songs from non-prog
artists, songs never released that should have been, songs by little known
bands that should be known, rare live recordings, cover tunes, and more.
(Yes, there will be a few songs that may be Kansas related, Kansas clones, or Kansas covers)

Last week I played:

Playlist files:

1. Savatage - Anymore (5:17)
      2. David Wallimann - GEAH Promo (French) (0:07)
      3. Toto - Falling In Between (4:06)
      4. Extreme - When Will It Rain (5:04)
      5. 10cc - Neanderthal Man (4:13)
      6. Kansas - Geodesic Dome (Hidden) (1:24)
      7. Toto - Let It Go (5:00)
      8. Hobbit - Rivendell (3:53)
      9. Kansas - After The Fire (Unreleased 1981) (4:27)
      10. Toto - Bottom Of Your Soul (6:58)
      11. James Newton Howard & Friends - E-Minor Shuffle (3:15)
      12. King's X - If (2:58)
      13. JohnGalganoGEAH (0:03)
      14. Toto - King Of The World (4:04)
      15. Neal Morse - Glory Of The Lord Outside Looking In 12 (7:49)
      16. Mr Mister - Wait A Lifetime (Unreleased 1989) (4:31)
      17. Carl Groves GEAH 1 (0:08)
      18. Salem Hill - The Joy Gem (15:03)
      19. Sister Bluebird GEAH Promo (0:24)
      20. Laura Casale - Metamorphosis (Acoustic) (10:20)
      21. Toto - Hooked (4:36)
      22. Flagship - The Throne (8:45)
      23. Prophet - Away From You (4:19)
      24. Model Engine - Scarred but Smarter (4:26)
      25. Thread (Vince DiCola) - Rainbow Suite (14:54)
      26. Symphony X - Rediscovery Pt.2 (12:01)
      27. The Who - Love Rain O'er Me (5:54)
      28. ? - ?
      29. ? - ?
      30. ? - ?
      31. ? - ?

(Yes, those are "mystery" tracks :)

To tune into the show and get the proper sound quality, you'll need
    the newest version of Winamp *DISABLE THE MP3PRO ENCODER IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED IT IN THE PAST!* (see the www.theRadiantFlow.com website for details), or another program that can
    play the stream, "Foobar" is another.

There is no registration needed to
      listen, simply click and listen!

Be sure also to join us in the IRC Chat, as this is "Interactive Radio".
      Instructions for this can also be found at www.theradiantflow.com or
      you can use the Java based chat from the site. For a good IRC program,
      try mIRC at http://www.mirc.com/get.html

"Bill Hammell has songs by Kerry Livgren that
      Kerry hasn't even written yet!" -Bill Evans

Also, please, to stay abreast of the doings at The Radiant Flow, join the e-mail news/discussion group at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/radiantflow

Bill Hammell
DJ/Host (& Station Manager) - The Radiant Flow
www.TheRadiantFlow.com

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 11:56

^ He played the whole thing but I turned it on late so we heard only 6 cuts. Even of the Great Decline, Physic, The Vigil, Old number 63, Osvoldos Grocieres and Melicus Gladiator. Some very good stuff in there. Some of my thoughts (Maybe spoilers for some of you so read with caution):

A lot of really tight arrangements of some instrumental parts between the horn/flute, keyboard, guitar.  Craig just smokes on bass and the work between he does with Mike is getting better and better each new thing they do. I love Dan's keyboard work as usual, John is always blazing and Lynn shows some of his unique vocals that we heard of on the Early Recordings CD this time with good production behind them. Kerry is playing some of the best lead guitar I have ever heard him play.
I find some of these songs to be extensions of the early work, a lot more Zappa type of jazz and some fusion influences with Gentle Giant, King Crimson influences and a dose of Jethro Tull and VDGG thrown in to boot. They seem to adapt all this and make it thier own effortlessly. I don't know about the classic rock fans but this album with these cuts is certainly going to be a big hit with the prog crowd.  I can't wait to hear a lot of this live.

Great Job!

Edited by Garion81

Post Reply Post Reply