FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKubrick appreciatio thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kubrick appreciatio thread
    Posted: January 25 2006 at 10:32
I think he's the greatest director of the 20th century. Although not an actor himself, I rank his talent and genius next to that of moviemakers like Chaplin.

Just like Chaplin, Kubrick only made a dozen of movies, but every single one is a classic and elaborated into the smallest detail, which makes every new view of the movie a whole new experience, always discovering new elements and motifs.

Another thing which makes him that special is that he made movies which could be easily put into the categories, but they were always movies that transcended the conventions of the genres in some kind of way (just like PT): Dr. Strangelove is not a normal comedy, Lolita is not another love story, Paths of Glory is not just a war movie, A Clockwork Orange is not just a psychological thriller, Barry Lyndon is not only a representation of history and The Shining is not just a horrormovie.  

In fact I saw the latter yesterday and I came to the conclusion that it's not horror at all: everything in the movie is possible in real life, except maybe for 'the shining' itself. But it's all about fear, hallucinations, isolation, extreme claustrophobic feelings (although the Overlook Hotel is huge). The Shining is a brilliant film that contains a story that is not real but not surreal either.

It makes me sad that all geniuses pass away sometime, It makes me even sadder that it's rather unlikely that there will ever be someone who can follow in Kubricks footsteps. And if I see all that crap in cinema today, I can conclude that Kubrick was more visionary and progressive in the sixties, seventies and eighties than most directors nowadays.  

thfflflkng
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 16:13

No arguments there - I'm hoping that his masterpieces will be released with deleted scenes restored, informed commentaries and that a restored version of 2001 gets a big screen reissue.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

thefalafelking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 22:00
I saw 2001 on a big screen last year. The lights and colours are really mindblowing!!
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 22:13

I love the guy, my favorites from him have to be,

2001 A Space Odysee

Fullmetal Jacket

A Clockwork Orange

I happen to be a big fan of the surreal film genre and Clockwork is deffinetlyon the top of my list for the genre. He is a brilliant mastermind that I'm sure could have written some outstanding novels. My favorite director ever. Hands down the best. 

He is the prog director if there ever was one. Wish he would have written some music, it would have been so good.

Edited by Rust
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 22:53

Genius.

Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies. 2001 is also amazing...as are all of this movies i've seen (which i think is four or five).

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 05:32

Great director, with a truly unique approach. His strength seemed to be a combination of realism in his characters and their dialogue, and how he used the camera; the angles he chose, his interest in the symmetry of inanimate objects, allowing regimented order in often confusing and stressful situations. This was part of what created that cold and slightly surreal feel in his films. Thats my perception, anyway. You may not know what I'm talking about as I'm not that great at explaining myself..

The Shining and 2001 are my favourites, and interestingly Stephen King didn't like The Film of his book, for the very same reasons that most people DO like it. For King it was too arty and clever and not enough of a cliched splatter movie. It also strayed from the books plot too much for him.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 06:41
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The Shining and 2001 are my favourites, and interestingly Stephen King didn't like The Film of his book, for the very same reasons that most people DO like it. For King it was too arty and clever and not enough of a cliched splatter movie. It also strayed from the books plot too much for him.

In the early nineties, Stephen King led a tv-series himself I think in which 'the book was the script'. The book was translated onto he screen very literally. Of course, this TV version is a marginal dwarf next to Kubricks work of genius

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 07:02
Originally posted by thefalafelking thefalafelking wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

In the early nineties, Stephen King led a tv-series himself I think in which 'the book was the script'. The book was translated onto he screen very literally. Of course, this TV version is a marginal dwarf next to Kubricks work of genius

I must have seen about 15 minutes of Kings mini series. It looked like trash to me so I gave up on it. Kubrick took, what was admittedly, a great horror novel and turned it into masterpiece of cinema. Thats not easy to do with horror, IMO, because by and large most horror story ideas are weak and laughable at best. King did have original good ideas for horror, but clearly has no idea how to make films.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 01:22
I like "Paths of Glory" lots!  "Clockwork Orange" is also great, but I have seen it too many times...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 07:30

Which other books or subjects do you think should have suited Kubrick well (for making a movie about them)?

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 10:09
Wendy Carlos provided progressive music for "A Clockwork orange"!
CYMRU AM BYTH
 Post Reply Post Reply