Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELO in PA? Gimme justice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 09:25
They were a PROG POP band
CYMRU AM BYTH
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 09:25
with orchestra and lots of Rock N Roll too!!!
CYMRU AM BYTH
Bournestar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 18:00

I'd agree with the statement on the website as to why they're included in there; because they were one of (or the very) first band to incorporate violins and cellos into their songs. Yes, they did include concept albums (Eldorado, and to a lesser extent Time) and they did mess around with time signatures early on, but it gradually decreased, and therefore imo they should be included as prog-related for their first four albums (up until Eldorado). Could be argued that Eldorado and some of the songs on it are more art rocky than prog rocky (Boy Blue, Nobody's Child etc.) but I'm just being pedantic now.

Quote BTW: Just as I'm writing I'm watching the Out of the Blues/Discovery DVD, it's a pitty that the Out of the Blues show for Charity recording has such a terrible recording, it's also funny to see The Dukes of Gloucester talking with the band  plus a fat and absolutely not funny Tony Curtis introducing ELO and trying to steal the show during the ELO chat with the Dukes of Gloucester

Yeah, I've got that on DVD too and sadly, that's the only footage I have of ELO live (which by all accounts is a rare occurrance in itself). Hope they remaster it too, the recording is poor, especially the camera work on Rockaria.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 21:09
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

They were a PROG POP band

probably would be the best description of them... their music was symphonic in sound not as much structure. Wanna hear a great violin solo and some upfront cello... ELO is your band.  It wasn't just window dressing. Those instruments WERE the ELO sound along with a rather underrated keyboardist in Richard Tandy.  As has been mentioned before in previous threads they were probably closest in sprit with the Beatles in that they were songwriters first who could write a great song first.. and musicians second. That may be rather unique.. along with Genesis.. in the prog genre. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234