Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed(what if) Beatles!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: (what if) Beatles!
    Posted: February 22 2006 at 10:13
If the fab 4 were still together, do you think they would be doing some form of prog?  Me, John was to political,Paul to bubble gummy lovey dovey, George to mythical and spiirtey, only god knows what the hell Ringo was into, I dont think he knew....    would be interesting though. why is this topic not in with ""all topics""""????

Edited by ginnyman
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 10:32
Probably stuff like U2 or The Stones
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 12:45

Originally posted by ginnyman ginnyman wrote:

If the fab 4 were still together, do you think they would be doing some form of prog? 

I think not. If you ignore the fact that it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to stay together (you must imagine that they signed a contract for 40 years which was impossible to break  )...

They would no doubt have sounded different. Most popular bands seem to lose their progressive touch. They would probably have had a lighter and more pompous sound in the seventies, have a horrible slick sound with ghastly upfront drum machine sounds in the eighties, go back to their roots in the nineties, and take it v-e-r-y slowly in the '00's  ...

Edited by Moogtron III
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 19:59
If they had stayed together, they would have made a few more albums in the 1970's and slowed down drastically in the 1980's coming out with an album every 5-7 years. Their 1970's material most likely would sound like a hybrid of Lennon's and McCartney's real solo careers. They would make one cheesy album in the 1980's full of synths and electronic drums that everyone would've thought was the end. Then they'd reunite in the 1990's and sound like the Traveling Wilburys. I doubt they would've made prog music.

The reason for such a large number of years between albums is because they all would pursue solo careers in one way or another. Most long-lived groups do.

Obviously not in this universe, but maybe in another alternate reality. Maybe Harry Turtledove could write a novel about an alternate Beatles.

Post Reply Post Reply