Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNews of the World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

I don't agree Bob. I thought NOTW still had the fire. They lost it "completely" on Hot Space, IMHO. I was a huge fan in the seventies. I saw Queen live after DATR, NOTW and The Game. Damn good shows! All of them. I avoid radio like the plague, so WWRY and WATC never really got old for me. It's Late still resides in my top 5 Queen rocker tunes. Windows down, stereo on 11, gang-bangin' rappers looking at me like I'm insane... Oh Yeah, Queen Rocks!

You took the words right out of my mouth! "It's Late" gives me chills still, everytime I hear it.

NOTW was my first exposure to Queen as well. I remember stealing the album repeatedly from my older sister. NOTW was one of the very first albums that made me want to be a rock star.
Pure Brilliance:
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 18:57
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

I don't agree Bob. I thought NOTW still had the fire. They lost it "completely" on Hot Space, IMHO. I was a huge fan in the seventies. I saw Queen live after DATR, NOTW and The Game. Damn good shows! All of them. I avoid radio like the plague, so WWRY and WATC never really got old for me. It's Late still resides in my top 5 Queen rocker tunes. Windows down, stereo on 11, gang-bangin' rappers looking at me like I'm insane... Oh Yeah, Queen Rocks!

You took the words right out of my mouth! "It's Late" gives me chills still, everytime I hear it.

NOTW was my first exposure to Queen as well. I remember stealing the album repeatedly from my older sister. NOTW was one of the very first albums that made me want to be a rock star.

My Brother got me hooked on Queen right after QII came out. I was only 12-13 yrs old, but damn, they were the schizznitz. I bought the I-Jazz catelogue on CD as imports, way before they came out domestic (in the States). I paid $30 a piece in 198?  Still got 'em.

bongofury View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 14:18
Brilliant record! May's solo on Its Late is one of the best "rock" solos of the 70's. My first Queen album, I was about 10 when I got it. All Dead,All Dead is one of my faves. Still like NATO better, but this is on a par with SHA and Q2!
White Queen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 20:57
I think it was the beginning of Queen's decline until they hit rock bottom with "Hotspace", but "News of the World" is still a great album, although weaker than their previous 4.
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 15:37
Great album! Very underated! It is one of their best,i love it to bits!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 11:55

yet another Queen discusison!!!

my idea: Queen was remotely prog in their first four albums, starting to get down (as with the general direction of music) with the second half of '70's... NotW represents the second stage of the downfall: very dull, mainstream rock effort... Strangely, the follow up to this one (Jazz) has more interesting ideas and songs... (I simply love Mustapha, probably due to my Muslim background )

Sorry guys, but however much you may admire Newsoftheworld, it is NOT a prog album (not even remotely) and this is a prog site! my personal review for the album would be 3 stars (for the hard rocking and melodic songs) but progwise it is a half star!

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
captainbeyond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 12:31
An absolute masterpiece? Funny you should say that since NOTW strikes me as Queen's weakest album of the 70s (with the possible exception of their debut). As much as everyone dissed the opening suite, those two tracks are pretty much the highlight of the album. "Sheer Heart Attack" is a dull rocker (though the album by the same name gets my vote as Queen's finest). "All Dead, All Dead" is a nice number, though not as good as "Lily of the Valley" "Jealousy" as Freddie ballads go. "Spread Your Wings," unfortunately never really does spread its wings. "Fight from the Inside" kicks ass (Roger Taylor was their secret weapon throughout their career) and points stylistically to the vastly superior Jazz that followed this record. "Get Down Make Love" could have been good, but never gets much momentum. "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" is a straight blues shuffle. "Who Needs You" is a forgettable trifle. "It's Late" is a big guitar rocker without flair or grandeur and no memorable riff. It would get flattened by "Fat Bottomed Girls." "My Melancholy Blues" is Freddie being a late-night cabaret queen. The mood is right, but the melody is just not very compelling.

Each of Queen's other 70s albums is predominantly fantastic with an occasional weak track. NOTW seems to be the opposite. However, I felt a warm brotherhood with the writer who described how truly scary the album cover was to a young child when it came out. I remember my mom yelling at my uncle for letting me get see his copy of the record. If it sounded better, I probably wouldn't mind all that much.  
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 15:56
One of the last GREAT Queen albums, "News of the World" contains one of my favourite Queen songs "Spread Your Wings", the guitar solo in this song still gives me goose-bumps!!

News of the World

Edited by mystic fred - July 28 2006 at 15:56
Prog Archives Tour Van
Emiaj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 16:34
being a long time Queen fan NOTW stands as a great rocker with some great moments, not a contender to their previous material, sure is one of Queen's best-selling albums and even though it points to a new direction in terms of writing and sound of the band still is a classic. The catastrophe was around the corner. The only prog part is that beautiful guitars arrangement solo in "All dead, all dead". JAZZ lacked of the force and strenght you can hear in this album, having interesting compositions (but too many songs that could had been b-sides) what comes of the speakers in terms of sound in the rockier tunes in JAZZ is never something like the mind blowing "It's Late".
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 16:42

I have all their albums, this definitely not their best, and their worst albums from the 70s.  Yes, The Game is better.  Big smile

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 15:10
I think it's a great album, and exceptionally innovative.

Who else composed an anthem with just a bass drum and a hand clap?

Utter genius!

NB: I can't really see how anyone can think that Queen were "remotely" prog on their first 4 albums, since it's a well-known fact that Queen II is a masterpiece of the genre, and blows many so-called Prog albums of that year out of the water.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 04:47
Originally posted by Winter Wine Winter Wine wrote:

One thing that does annoy me, is when people regard Queen's 1977 album 'News of the World' as complete rubbish. Nothing could be more unjust!!!! Ok so I take it everyone is sick of hearing 'We Will Rock You' and 'We are the Champions'  but that doesn't mean they're bad. Anyway, the album has a lot more to offer. The piano led tracks 'All Dead, All Dead', 'Spread Your Wings' and the albums closer 'My Melancholy Blues' are all beautiful tracks, and all criminally overlooked. It also gave us the punk rock gem 'Sheer Heart Attack' and the albums great extended rocker 'Its Late'.

I think it's Queen's most varied album. Full of great ideas and very very very very strong songs. I doubt there's many people here that have heard it, or like it. But I think it's a masterpiece and a stronger effort than the album before.

What say you?

Can you believe that those two tracks are the only ones I can still listen from that very inferior album?Big smile

The only other track I care to remember is Get Down, Make Love , whichsince Freddy did come out of the closet in the complete open, is now relatively sickeningOuch

Wink

Jazz is the last good album IMHO
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 22:39
I was pretty dissapointed with this album, as I was with "A Day at the races" too.
Both are very average albums compared to the first four.
Fede View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 01:24

I love all the stuff they made even if it's too poppy I don't care because I'm a die hard Queen fan Tongue

Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 05:04
A very good album along with Sheer Heart Attack. Anthony Wilson produced a BBC session of the band playing this album for Alan Freeman's Saturday Rock Show. I wonder what happened to the tapes?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 11:53
  Great album! You shouldn't bother or pay attention to such statements. News of the World is a great album, a bit underrated. That's what happens when a band reaches the top/highlight of their career (A Night at the Opera for QUEEN), all other albums are compared with that album. The beauty of NOTW is that is quite different from ANATO album. At least that's what I think.
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 11:25
I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I agree wholeheartedly that is is far better than it is given credit for. I consider it the last of their 'classic period' albums.
Yes, it is better than 'A Day At The Races', which tried to emulate 'A Night At The Opera' too much.
Agreed, 'We Are The Champions' and 'We Will Rock You' are very much overplayed. But when the album was new, they were good tracks, especially the latter, which opens the album.
'Melancholy Blues' is one of my favourite Queen tracks and it shows off Freddie's ability on piano superbly well. 'Spread Your Wings' is another great song, a John Deacon effort.
'Sheer Heart Attack' is good, as is 'Fight From The Inside' another Roger Taylor effort.
I have always loved 'Who Needs You?' with its wonderful spanish style guitar work from Brian.
And 'Sleeping On The Sidewalk' is excellent too, with vintage guitar work from Brian again.
'It's Late' is maybe a weaker song, and 'Get Down Make Love' isn't my favourite either.
But 'All Dead' is very good.
Yes, a 3 - 4 star effort from the band, and much maligned, or overlooked, as you say.
Clap
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by Dr Know Dr Know wrote:

Wow The Progtologist is really unpredictable!LOL

This album for me was just OK. The first 4 were the greatest in my humble opinion.

I agree with you there. The first 4 Queen albums are pure manna, but then they lost touch with there sound I think.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 21:25
NotW is a wonderful album. NotW is my favourite Queen album, along with Jazz, Sheer Heart Attack and the self-titled debut. Thumbs Up
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 18:31
Sheer Heart Attack (the song) is worth the price alone. Roger Taylor is a bloody genius. The album has a high standard all the way through, and I'm not even that fond of the hit singles, having been exposed to them at too many sporting events.

It's my third fave Queen album
1. Queen II
2, NIght at the Opera
3, News of the World

Edited by Heptade - August 10 2006 at 18:31
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12