Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIron Butterfly? This site is ridiculous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:24
Originally posted by yankeerose yankeerose wrote:

to OFUR::    YOU CAN ALWAY LEAVE THIS SITE, THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST PROGG/ROCK SITES OUT THERE. IRON BUTTERFLY  WAS A GREART BAND WHICH NEVER REALLY GOT THE CREDIT THEY DESERVED..CHECK THEM OUT DONT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE,IM SURE THERE ARE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE THAT DONT CARE FOR SOME OF YOUR TASTE....

Taste or lack of recognition isn't the issue.
moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:46
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

As the owners and the majority of the mods have decided we must have "prog related" and "proto prog" categories here because of the site's "evangelical" mission to spread prog to all and sundry classic rock fans, and "lure" the youngsters into trying classic prog (thus ensuring the music's "survival into the next millennium" -- wonder how they'll know), I have no problem with the inclusion of Iron Butterfly, or others.

You're going to lure youngsters to prog, by including proto-prog bands like the Beatles and Iron Butterfly???  I fail to understand that logic.

Most teens would have no clue who Iron Butterfly is.  And probably can't stand the Beatles.

Maybe we can include post-prog bands too  - "Bands who were influenced by prog, but not prog themselves".

How about including that rapper who included the Gentle Giant riff in one of his songs? 

Absurd?  Maybe.  But I bet it would get more youngsters here than Iron Butterfly.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:53
Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

As the owners and the majority of the mods have decided we must have "prog related" and "proto prog" categories here because of the site's "evangelical" mission to spread prog to all and sundry classic rock fans, and "lure" the youngsters into trying classic prog (thus ensuring the music's "survival into the next millennium" -- wonder how they'll know), I have no problem with the inclusion of Iron Butterfly, or others.

You're going to lure youngsters to prog, by including proto-prog bands like the Beatles and Iron Butterfly???  I fail to understand that logic.see below

Most teens would have no clue who Iron Butterfly is.  And probably can't stand the Beatles.

Maybe we can include post-prog bands too  - "Bands who were influenced by prog, but not prog themselves".>>>> this is done is prog-related

How about including that rapper who included the Gentle Giant riff in one of his songs? 

Absurd?  Maybe.  But I bet it would get more youngsters here than Iron Butterfly.

^^^^^^^^^^^

you'd be amazed by the tons of teens who listento their parent's vinyls and suddendly fall onto this weird IB with huge light effect on the background of the stage the groups play on, and that weird thing In-A-gadda-da-Vida, then look up on the net for this group and falling on the PA in second of third place.............

A likely bet, would you not say?

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:04
Ahh yes now we've established the real goal of this site and the reason for inclusion of bands that have nothing to do with prog. The prog archives is nothing more than a sad attempt to sucker innocent people into liking prog.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:14

Originally posted by Ofur Ofur wrote:

Ahh yes now we've established the real goal of this site and the reason for inclusion of bands that have nothing to do with prog. The prog archives is nothing more than a sad attempt to sucker innocent people into liking prog.

Well we suckered you, right?

Jesss kiddin!!!!!!!!!!

Cm'on man, drop the subject and enjoy the Archives!

I plan to include Jefferson Airplane and maybe Spirit and certainly Santana, so if you are not thick skinned , you will get many more ulcers

Shame to get one of those if you are not alcoholic

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:55

if you arent happy with this  additions, then talk with the collaborators and all those people who decide which band is or isnt here...

i have nothing to say, i love progarchives... and yes, sometimes a dont feel very well with new additions, but i think collaborators team know their job and know what are they doing...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:02
Just to add a hasty response to the topic, leave it be foo!s, so what if there's one not as 100% prog band when the rest are? you don't have to go visit the Iron Butterfly page here now do you?

Anyway, now that I'm onto this I was wondering, how about adding Björk here too? She surely is something, and rather close to even Peter Gavriels style I might say.
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:18

Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Just to add a hasty response to the topic, leave it be foo!s, so what if there's one not as 100% prog band when the rest are? you don't have to go visit the Iron Butterfly page here now do you?

Anyway, now that I'm onto this I was wondering, how about adding Björk here too? She surely is something, and rather close to even Peter Gavriels style I might say.

Björk? How about Elvis and Sex Pistols?

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:33
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Today this site has 2.298 bands, of which 17 (including Iron Butterfly) are listed in the special subgenre of proto-prog (not really Prog), representing less than 1% of the total.

First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?

Second, I still believe that the roots and the history of prog-rock shall be told and this site is probably the best place to do that. Can someone presently admit that the History of the Americas began the day they were 'discovered' by Columbus with the natives and other visitors being forgotten?

I ask you to think about these issues. Thanks.

Well this site has now officially become useless. This is no longer "the prog archives", it is now "the all music ever made archives".

Just because this site has a few bands that you think should not be here doesn't mean this site is no longer useful!

Edited by lunaticviolist
My recent purchases:
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:43
Originally posted by lunaticviolist lunaticviolist wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Today this site has 2.298 bands, of which 17 (including Iron Butterfly) are listed in the special subgenre of proto-prog (not really Prog), representing less than 1% of the total.

First, if one judge the entire site taking these less than 1% as an example I believe no justice is being made. Imagine someone calling all French people as right-wings or fascists because LePen received 15% of the votes. Is it fair?

Second, I still believe that the roots and the history of prog-rock shall be told and this site is probably the best place to do that. Can someone presently admit that the History of the Americas began the day they were 'discovered' by Columbus with the natives and other visitors being forgotten?

I ask you to think about these issues. Thanks.

Just because this site has a few bands that you think should not be here doesn't mean this site is no longer useful!

It will become more and more useless with time as more and more non prog bands are admitted. The people responsible for this site seem to think that they must continually add new bands (God knows why) and since prog bands are now in short supply they have to add bands that have nothing to do with prog and this will only get worse and worse since they will eventually run out of bands that could possibly have had a miniscule connection to prog and so Elvis and The Sex Pistols will eventually be on the archives.

Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:48

I propose these new faux categories in the spirit of other newly invented categories:

Elvis= caveman prog

The Sex Pistols= post prog

There you go, they clearly belong on this site now.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:56
Jefferson Airplane and Santana, Sean? Go on  !
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 13:59

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Jefferson Airplane and Santana, Sean? Go on  !

Yes, and i want Santana & Mclaughlin album here!!

seriously

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Ofur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:04
Oh no Jefferson Airplane are a purely psychedelic band, please don't put them on the archives.Ouch
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:04

I propose these new faux categories in the spirit of other newly invented categories:

Elvis= caveman prog

The Sex Pistols= post prog

There you go, they clearly belong on this site now.

You know what ?

You are acting like a pathetic little kid. SHUT YOUR MOUTH ALREADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:13

Jefferson Airplane made a captivating blend of blues, rock and psychedelia, they are not a purely psychedelic band in my opinion and very progressive in those late Sixties, watch their excellent DVD Fly Jefferson Airplane (two seconds of Grace Slick looks more sexy than entire hot videoclips by Madonna or Britney Spears!).

moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

you'd be amazed by the tons of teens who listento their parent's vinyls and suddendly fall onto this weird IB with huge light effect on the background of the stage the groups play on, and that weird thing In-A-gadda-da-Vida, then look up on the net for this group and falling on the PA in second of third place.............

A likely bet, would you not say?

Point taken.
GnarlesGharl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 15:06

I come to this website to find music that i wouldn't normally hear of from MTV or other popular music sources. Personally, its all just the music business that floods your senses with their newest flavor of the month and you don't hear of the some of the stuff that is overlooked because it isnt "in style."  This website helps me kind of sort through some of the nonsense that I am always bombarded with like Britney Spear's or other popular rap (not to say rap or anything is bad as some can be good). I just use this site to find more of the underground stuff..its absolutely great!  Iron Butterfly isn't normally talked about on MTV (ithink, i dont watch it )..The Beqtles are some times but they are good anyways and are an exception. I dont mind if they add some of this stuff like the beatles. I try not to think of thiws site as being something snobbish or rebellious but more of a place where you would find music that is overlooked cuz it's not the newest fad. I mean the beatles adn the doors and supertramp are what got me into "prog". 

P.S. They have a cowbell...now that is breaking some boundaries man!

Edited by GnarlesGharl
MorgothSunshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 15:23
The worst addicyion here is Tad Morose!!! 
For every truth even the contrary is true...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 15:26

This thread has run its course.

• Suggestions for additions to the archives should be made in the "Suggest bands and albums" section.
  • Discussions about bands who are not listed on the site are located in the "Non-prog music lounge".
  • Discussions about site policy etc., shoudl take place in the "Forums websites and general" section.

If anyone wishes to discuss the music of Iron Butterfly, please start a new thread in this section.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345