Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to put CHICAGO?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Then Boston also please!!!

Chicago IMO was never Prog, interesting first 2 albums yes but Prog no way.

Iván

Bad analogy Ivan... if you were to take late Genesis as an example then perhaps (great example of bands which the majority of their songs were pop).. but Boston never had (to my ears anyway) anything progressive released; Chicago's first albums had. Why not include them if they were an important part of the jazz-rock (brass rock section) subgenre (in the early days there was them and BST; although I make a stronger case for the latter)

There's no comparison between Genesis and Chicago.

1.- Genesis during their Prog years was an icon, a pioneer of Prog Rock, the most influential band ever in the genre (That's a fact, most Neo is Genesis inspired in higher or leser degree) Chicago is essentially an adult Pop band that influenced no Prog band.

2.- Genesis has seven 100% studioProg albums:
  1. Trespass
  2. Nursery Cryme
  3. Foxtrot
  4. SEBTP
  5. The Lamb
  6. ATOTT
  7. Wind & Wuthering

Two partially Prog albums

1. ATTW3
  2. Duke

One Pop album with Prog elements

1. ABACRAP

Four non Prog albums one with at least one bad or good Prog song:

1. Shapes
  2. Invisible Touch
  3. We Can't Dance
  4. FGTTR

One Hybrid

1. CAS
So 9 out of their 14 studio albums are PROGRESSIVE ROCK  while only 5 are not Prog (Counting ABACRAP as non Prog), this  means 65.7 of Genesis studio albums albums are Prog while 35.3 are non Prog.

The argument of more Genesis Pop songs is as Bald Friedre would say: A FALACY, beoing that Prog Tracks in average are 3 times longer than Pop tracks

Genesis has three 100% Prog Live albums

1. Live
  2. Seconds Out
  3. Archives I

Two partially Prog:

1. Three Sides Live (Third partially and full fourth side UK version)
  2. Archives II

And two or three non Prog live albums with a couple of Prog tracks

Most of their stuff is Prog and iconic Prog.

3.- Chicago on the other hand has 30 albums numbered, several box sets and CVDs, out of them only one is remotely related to Prog Related, maybe two or three and 27 are PLAIN POP, this means that at the most 10% of their releases are remotely Prog Related.

4.- Boston plays AOR which is a conservative POP  evolution of Prog, I believe there's much more in common between two essentially mainstream Pop Aorish bands and one of the biggest 5 Prog bands of history.

Why that obsession of adding remotely Prog Related bands instead of worrying about 100% Prog ones not here?

My 2 cents.

Iván

Point taken.. still there's no way to compare arguably one of the first experimental jazz-rock bands with an all-the-way AOR band... agree that their 80's stuff was easy-listening balladeering but there's also the influence factor... symphonic prog is not all there is you know.

Even so, I won't lose my sleep over Chicago (I wouldn't had started a thread about them in the first place), mostly because they strayed too early as opposed to BS & T who made a more constant approach to experimentation; as well as Herbie Hancock
Jesus Gabriel
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Point taken.. still there's no way to compare arguably one of the first experimental jazz-rock bands with an all-the-way AOR band... agree that their 80's stuff was easy-listening balladeering but there's also the influence factor... symphonic prog is not all there is you know.

I know Symphonic is not all that there is Chus, if you check the more than 30 bands I added to Prog Archives, only 2 are Symphonic (Petrus Castrus from Portugal and another one I can't remember), most are Psyche (Like Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera or Tradffic Sound) Prog Related (Like Er. J. Orchestra)  Proto Prog (Like Sweetw@ater and Laghonia), Fusion (Including Jean-Luc Ponty that was an omission), Fok (Including Miranda Sex Garden and OSIBISA which are two bands that are absolutely unique) and Art Rock (Many of those).

But IMO Chicgo was never even Prog Related.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 08 2007 at 11:06

Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 14:40
No need to be rememberedWink just making sure... while "never" is a bit exaggerated I guess there's not enough "proggy" material from Chicago... but for me there's a relation with prog in their early 70's works, although it only represents about the 10% of their career
Jesus Gabriel
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 20:21
Chicago has good albums, first four ones mainly, which should been check by every prog fan, but the rest, my friend, is a matter of taste.

As for their inclusion, try again in 2009, maybe then there will be grounds to such addition, but I will not support this.

MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:20
Not even in Prog Related.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:36

i doubt if Chicago are any way Prog, they're a great band, jazz-rock with Psyche leanings..?Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123