Topic ClosedNew super group?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 02:47
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Red Porschetta Red Porschetta wrote:

I believe Wilson has already worked with Portnoy. Wasnt he a guest musician for OSI? I think hae sang one song.

And Portnoy isnt doing it for the cash, he is just one of the hardest working musicians around today, and I think thats very cool. He just likes to create and play!!

Wilson sang and co-wrote the song SHUTdown on the OSI album.

What amuses me is people treat OSI like it's some Mike Portnoy band or project.OSI is the brainchild of Kevin Moore.

Speaking of which am I the only one who thinks "Free" sounds like the soundtrack to a lame N64 Action-shooter? The album sounds like it was assembled in Pro-Tools. I love computer sound effects in music as much as any man can but seriously Free is overkill.....

Edited by Littlewashu5
The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by Littlewashu5 Littlewashu5 wrote:

I believe Wilson has already worked with Portnoy. Wasnt he a guest musician for OSI? I think hae sang one song.

And Portnoy isnt doing it for the cash, he is just one of the hardest working musicians around today, and I think thats very cool. He just likes to create and play!!

What amuses me is people treat OSI like it's some Mike Portnoy band or project.OSI is the brainchild of Kevin Moore.

Speaking of which am I the only one who thinks "Free" sounds like the soundtrack to a lame N64 Action-shooter? The album sounds like it was assembled in Pro-Tools. I love computer sound effects in music as much as any man can but seriously Free is overkill.....

I couldn't agree more about OSI's new album "Free". It sounds like modern alternative rock done for some sort of soundtrack or something. Is Portnoy 16 again? As much as I love the musicians in OSI in general, they really messed up. Unless this is for the purpose to break into the mainstream, but that seems unlikely since they have no real backing or huge promotions, Dream Theater is much bigger for example. Since they don't make lame N64 action-shooters anymore, why they made "Free" is beyond me.

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 14:14

IS THAT TRUE?!

Steven and Mikael are my heros that would be insane if they did something together again

i wonder what it will sound like (anyone remember Blackwater Park?)

that would be so awesome

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by Antennas Antennas wrote:

Yep, read that as well. Sounds very interesting indeed!

But hey, didn't Steve Wilson quite recently mock bands like Dream Theater, and said he didn't like them (which I understand, heheh)? Wonder if this 'supergroup' is set up for the music, or for the money...?

thats true i just thought of that. i remember the interview.

im not a DT fan either

i hope this isnt just for the money ive got a lot of respect for SW and Mikael but this sounds fishy

portnoy i could care less about as long as he plays well

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 16:11
I absolutely LOVE what Steve Wilson has done since 1988, the only two Opeth albums I've liked were both produced by him...

But in my eyes it's going to come out as yet another project that sounds like Damnation (which sounded like an adult version of Porcupine Tree).

Oh well. As long as PT is staying, I'm happy :)
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 17:09

Jim Matheos, not Kevin Moore... It was Jims idea and he wrote most of the material. KevMo "just" turned it all upside down... but I'm just a picky b*****d

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by Ed_The_Dead Ed_The_Dead wrote:

Jim Matheos, not Kevin Moore... It was Jims idea and he wrote most of the material. KevMo "just" turned it all upside down... but I'm just a picky b*****d

I stand corrected.

OSI was indeed initially meant as a Matheos solo project.

rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 20:07
Originally posted by The Ryan The Ryan wrote:

I couldn't agree more about OSI's new album "Free". It sounds like modern alternative rock done for some sort of soundtrack or something. Is Portnoy 16 again? As much as I love the musicians in OSI in general, they really messed up. Unless this is for the purpose to break into the mainstream, but that seems unlikely since they have no real backing or huge promotions, Dream Theater is much bigger for example. Since they don't make lame N64 action-shooters anymore, why they made "Free" is beyond me.

You guys have already heard the album?  I didn't think it was out for a few more weeks.

Anyway to preview some of the songs?  I had been looking forward to this album for some time but now you all have me a little concerned.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 20:09

Deephreeze wrote:

Oh well. As long as PT is staying, I'm happy :)

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 08:15

Yeah, I've read about this one a couple of months ago.
As rumours go Akerfeldt & Portnoy haven been together already to talk about the future of it all. I don't want to get my hopes up, but with names like these, I can't wait for it to go for sale!

And then there always are the people who must say it's all about cashing and stuff. Please!
Like Stonebeard said:

Quote As if Portnoy needs another paycheck. Surely he's in the highest paid progressive rock band out now!

And maybe he's just a guy who loves music, and wants to spend every minute he's got doing what he does best: drumming & thinking of other projects to make music with!

Focus on the music... Focus!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:48

Man Made God Said:

Quote:
As if Portnoy needs another paycheck. Surely he's in the highest paid progressive rock band out now!

And maybe he's just a guy who loves music, and wants to spend every minute he's got doing what he does best: drumming & thinking of other projects to make music with!

^  sure whatever you say

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

The Ryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

You guys have already heard the album?  I didn't think it was out for a few more weeks.

Anyway to preview some of the songs?  I had been looking forward to this album for some time but now you all have me a little concerned.

Don't be worried..... if you like alternative rock.

Littlewashu5 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 01:43

Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

Don't be worried..... if you like alternative rock.

Uhhhhhhh, I LIKE alternative rock.  I don't know where you're getting that from. It sounds like a lame attempt at an Industrial album more than anything.....
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 13:59
An update on Akerfeldt-Wilson-Portnoy.....it's CONFIRMED.

Akerfeldt – Portnoy - Wilson

OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt has confirmed reports that he is planning on collaborating with PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy on an as-yet-unnamed new project. "We've been talking the three of us," Mikael said in a recent interview with Tony of KASC The Blaze 1260 AM (web site) (the campus radio station at Arizona State University). "It started with me and Steve. Once we first met, which was like six years ago or something, we've been talking about doing something, like writing together. And since he worked with [OPETH as a producer] for a couple of albums, we got that whole collaboration thing put on hold because we were already working together. With him in the studio, it was a very creative relationship that we had, but we've never really written music together, so that's still… I'm 100 percent [sure] that that's going to happen. And Portnoy... PORCUPINE TREE toured with DREAM THEATER and he wanted to be involved. I used to be a massive DREAM THEATER fan — I'm still a fan of them and he's a really nice guy, good drummer, so that's cool. And we're looking at some other people, maybe to involve some guests. I think we're gonna start slow — it's not gonna be something blown out of proportion, it's just gonna be for the sake of our love of music. I think we're gonna do a song that Steve wrote for the 'In Absentia' album that didn't make it, which is a massively fantastic song. That's what we're gonna record first, I think, unless the band comes around and they record it as a PORCUPINE TREE song, but I'd love to record that song with him and then just write some stuff. And I don't know what it's gonna be like. It's just talk right now. [But] I'm sure it's going to happen."

Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2006 at 07:12
Great news. This is probably one of my most anticipated collaborations over the last couple of years. I also like the fact that they absolutely do not want to be some kind of 'supergroup', and therefore interviews will be sparse.
Man, I can't wait.

Focus on the music... Focus!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12