Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArgus by Wishbone Ash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 00:29
Originally posted by rockandrail rockandrail wrote:

One of my all time favourite band (as long as the Powell-Turner guitar duet was in). Saw them in concert at their very early beginning, in 1970, at the Brussels Woluwe Shopping center. (Yes there was a -brief- time when shopping malls were organizing rock concerts). The same day at the same place, I also could enjoy Pete Brown and Piblokto and a local glory, Jengiz Khan.

And by the way, did George Lucas got inspired by Argus's sleeve to create Darth Vader's helmet?

Ermm I very much doubt it -- that's a real, historical Greek-type helmet, as far as I can tell.

I imagine Lucas and/or his costume designers would have been more familiar with museum artifacts, than an English cult R&R band.

Ancient Greek Full size Argeian helmet

Trojan full size helmet

Argus Panoptes

The all seeing. A man with many eyes. Early accounts say he had four eyes, later a hundred. There are many accounts of his parentage. He was in a number of adventures: He killed a bull ravaging Arcadia. He killed a satyr for stealing cattle. He killed Echidna. He avenged the death of Apis.

Argus was killed by Hermes while he guarded Io for Hera

Sometimes, in Greek mythology, Argus is described as a hundred-eyed monster, who could let some eyes sleep, while others were awake. Thus, he was an excellent watchman, and hence the watchful warrior on the Wishbone Ash Argus album jacket.

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 06:55

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually what really bugs me is that most of the Cd version of this album have paintbrushed-out the spaceship/UFO, that the gard/soldier was looking at on the out the other side of the gatefold

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 11:09
The question is which will get to the Top 10 first - Argus or Dark Matter, which is rising up the charts steadily and has reached 63 so far.
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 06:58

Pilgrimage and their fourth album are also very good.

I also like Live dates too

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 08:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually what really bugs me is that most of the Cd version of this album have paintbrushed-out the spaceship/UFO, that the gard/soldier was looking at on the out the other side of the gatefold

ShockedYeah -- now that you mention it, I used to have the vinyl (now I have it on CD), and I remember that UFO too! Let's march on the legislature and DEMAND justice for old album covers! Burn! Destroy! Loot! Angry 

(Er, sorry! Been watching too much French news!) Embarrassed

Anyway, ST, if that's all that "really bugs" you, you're either very, very lucky, or very, very shallow....Ermm

Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 05:56
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ShockedYeah -- now that you mention it, I used to have the vinyl (now I have it on CD), and I remember that UFO too! Let's march on the legislature and DEMAND justice for old album covers! Burn! Destroy! Loot! Angry 

(Er, sorry! Been watching too much French news!) Embarrassed

Anyway, ST, if that's all that "really bugs" you, you're either very, very lucky, or very, very shallow....Ermm

Wink

It is the principle of leaving an oeuvre the way it was created not being respected that bugs me!! the original oeuvre should not be altered or tampered with , I am completely adament on this!!! I have no problems with remastering or bonus tracks as long as the original work is there untampered with. remastering>>> yes but re-mixing >>>NO

I mage Yes's TFTO without the Chichen Itza great pyramid, Tull's TAAB without its St Cleve Chronicles   or Genesis's Foxtrot without the Red-dressed Foxhead lady>> how can we say the ouvre is still intact ? how about Da Vinci's Mona Lisa with tht enigmatic smile wiped from her face?

It will not ruin my life, but does get me angry when cheap copy of products are marketed by this lousy consumer society

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12