Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Queen II a progressive album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:18
Been searching for a good copy of the painting: I reckon this is the best one available: http://artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=10876

The painting is incredibly detailed, even the best jpeg doesn't do it justice. It's obvious why Freddie was inspired to write the song after seeing this masterpiece!
[IMG]http://www.herring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DRMkillb.JPG">
Right the Copyright Wrongs (Bill Thompson's BBC blog - essential reading!)
JusLisn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:25

SHEER MAGIC!

Ad hoc, ad loc and quid pro quo. So little time, so much to know.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 19:58
Originally posted by ElwoodHerring ElwoodHerring wrote:

Been searching for a good copy of the painting: I reckon this is the best one available: http://artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=10876

The painting is incredibly detailed, even the best jpeg doesn't do it justice. It's obvious why Freddie was inspired to write the song after seeing this masterpiece!

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough... but I don't see a satyr peering under a Lady's gown.
Pure Brilliance:
ElwoodHerring View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough... but I don't see a satyr peering under a Lady's gown.

I must admit I can't either, but... who cares? Great song, great album, great art! What more can you ask for?
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 23:56

Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

I must admit I can't either, but... who cares? Great song, great album, great art! What more can you ask for?

Thanks for the links to the excellent info, ElwoodHerring!

I've loved that song for 20 years and only just reached a better understanding of it today ... these are the reasons I love helping out with this site!

And btw, to get back on track, yes Queen II is a progressive rock album ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 02:50
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

What's a "progressive" album?Confused

(seriously!)

I believe that the album is the unit that we should talk about when judging the progressiveness of an artist/band. We can talk about single tracks, groups of albums from a certain period of time or the complete discography of an artist, but IMO a single album is the only meaningful unit.

Are Genesis are progressive band? Tough question. Is Selling England by the Pound a progressive album? Much easier!

Edit: To answer your "question": I think that a "progressive" album is an album which contains mostly progressive songs/tracks.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 08:40
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

What's a "progressive" album?Confused

(seriously!)

I believe that the album is the unit that we should talk about when judging the progressiveness of an artist/band. We can talk about single tracks, groups of albums from a certain period of time or the complete discography of an artist, but IMO a single album is the only meaningful unit.

Are Genesis are progressive band? Tough question. Is Selling England by the Pound a progressive album? Much easier!

Edit: To answer your "question": I think that a "progressive" album is an album which contains mostly progressive songs/tracks.

Just as "apple sauce" is sauce made from apples, eh?Confused

(Good thing I know what an "apple" is....) Ermm

ShockedTry to squirm out from under the issue, will you?

Oh no you don't! Take this!Angry

Squish! (Mmmm... apple sauce!) Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 08:54
Ok, we should replace "progressive album" by "album which contains progressive music" in all texts, just to make sure that people don't get confused and think that "progressive album" means "progressive cover".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 09:47
All this still begs the question "What exactly is meant by progressive?" This point keeps coming up all the time here, and isn't easy to answer. I can tell you what progressive isn't - that's much easier, I reckon. It isn't R&B, it isn't country, it isn't "pop", it isn't classical (although elements of these and every other genre of music can be incorporated into it.)

Maybe that's the point - Progressive music is a kind of "melting pot" of music where there are no rules except to attempt to push the boundaries of music and find new directions. This was relatively easy to do in the 60's and 70's where new instruments such as electric guitars, then synthesisers etc. made new sounds possible. Nowadays it's not so easy as most of the ground seems to have been covered already, and a lot of Neo-prog bands have been accused of merely emulating the masters of 30-40 years ago in an attempt to revitalise the "Golden Age" of Prog. But I've said all this before somewhere on this site - Here actually

Edited by ElwoodHerring
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 09:50
^ the everlasting "What is progressive" discussion ... is not the topic here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:03

True, but since the question was asked I thought it deserved an attempt at an answer. I've found the link to the original topic and edited it into my previous post.

Now where were we? Queen II I believe!
Tormato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 10:47

The Ogre Battle is heavy metal. The rest of the black side is prog.

From Father to Son is Prog, the rest of the white side is not.

I've said.

I like Tormato, so shoot me! Every person in the world can't think the same.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 12:56
Originally posted by Tormato Tormato wrote:

The Ogre Battle is heavy metal. The rest of the black side is prog.

From Father to Son is Prog, the rest of the white side is not.

I've said.

I think 'White Queen: As it began' is rather prog..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 16:30

No, but the question is whether or not Queen II is a "progressive" album, thus first we must ascertain just what a "progressive" album is. (Elwood H and I were hence very right to question the notion of "progressive.")

My point is that the concept of "progressive" re music is highly subjective, and therefore, in order to have a meaningful discussion about whether or not an album is "progressive," we must first agree upon the notion of "progressive." (But people DON'T agree on that.)

If you ask me "are you a good man?," I must find out just what "good" means to you, before I can meaningfully answer you.

First, clarify the terms of reference. Language, and art, unlike (for example) math or science, is open to interpretation by the individual. Stern Smile

"Progressive" is a matter of opinion, not verifiable fact.

To truly communicate, we must speak the same language! Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:48
^ ok, got you. But the fact that I'm trying to move the discussion about the "progressiveness" from the artist to the album level doesn't have anything to do with the word "progressive" per se. Or in other words: It is still off topic.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 18:55

^ ok, got you. But the fact that I'm trying to move the discussion about the "progressiveness" from the artist to the album level doesn't have anything to do with the word "progressive" per se. Or in other words: It is still off topic.

I don't get you.Confused The meaning of "progressive" is absolutely crucial to this topic.Stern Smile

The thread's question is "Is Queen II a progressive album?"

We can establish that it is an album by Queen, and their second. (That is a matter of fact.)

Is it "progressive?" That is a matter of opinion, because "progressive" is OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.

Artist or album level, it doesn't matter. Until you define "progressive," you will merely get an exchange of opinions, with each opinion determined by each person's individual notion of "progressive."

(You will prove nothing, but merely ascertain the majority opinion of those who see fit to answer.)

For the record, Q2 is much more akin to metal than prog in my book, but then, you believe that metal can be prog, while I think that metal and prog are two very different things.

You hear "prog metal," I hear metal with keyboards.

Do you see the problem? We (and not just you and I, but all of us here) cannot even agree on the meaning or boundaries of the term you are using, so all that I can say is: I don't regard it as a "progressive" album, whereas you (likely) do. We are no further ahead. In the end, there is no right or wrong (or objective "truth") on this matter, only the opportunity to find out the opinions of those who respond, and whether the majority opinion is "yes" or "no." 

Much like the polls which ask "who is the best drummer" you prove nothing (except the relative popularity of a given opinion among those who choose to respond). 

I'm not trying to be difficult, or irritate you Mike, but the term of reference central to your question is UNDEFINED --  it's an unknown quantity.Stern Smile

In the 1800s, whales were commonly thought to be fish. To establish whether they are fish or mammals, people first had to agree upon the respective defining qualities of fish and mammals. With those qualities firmly established, naturalists could then prove that a whale is in fact a mammal. First, you attain consensus on the precise meanings of the terms of reference, then -- and only then -- can you prove whether or not something meets the established criteria.

Here though, we are dealing with art, not science. (I can PROVE that a whale gives milk, bears live young, is warm-blooded, and has lungs to breathe air, and is thus, by established definition, a mammal.) Our interpretation of art, and our response to it, is an individual, subjective thing.

Who is the "best" guitarist? Define and agree upon what constitutes "best." (impossible, as it's an intangible matter of taste, of emotion)

Is this album progressive? Define and agree upon what constitutes "progressive." (again, impossible, as it's a matter of taste and perception)Stern Smile

A painting makes you cry, but it makes me laugh. Which reaction is "right?" (They BOTH are!)

A song gives you pleasure, but it gives me pain. Both reactions are "true."

Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 05:03

I don't get you.Confused The meaning of "progressive" is absolutely crucial to this topic.Stern Smile

The thread's question is "Is Queen II a progressive album?"

No - the question is "Is Queen II a progressive album?", as opposed to "Is Queen a progressive band?". For both these questions it is important to define the word "progressive", as is for any other music related question in this forum ... and that's why I say that it is off topic in this thread, and should be discussed in a thread "What does progressive mean?", which there are plenty of already.

We can establish that it is an album by Queen, and their second. (That is a matter of fact.)

Is it "progressive?" That is a matter of opinion, because "progressive" is OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.

Artist or album level, it doesn't matter. Until you define "progressive," you will merely get an exchange of opinions, with each opinion determined by each person's individual notion of "progressive."

(You will prove nothing, but merely ascertain the majority opinion of those who see fit to answer.)

It DOES matter whether you discuss the artist or one specific album. It does matter whether you discuss Close to the Edge or the entire Yes discography. It matters whether you discuss Queen II or all Queen albums including Hot Space.

BTW: I don't want to "prove" anything ... these matters can't be proven (or disproven), as they are not clearly defined. Perhaps it would make sense to you if I asked "Do you think that Queen II is a progressive album?"?

For the record, Q2 is much more akin to metal than prog in my book, but then, you believe that metal can be prog, while I think that metal and prog are two very different things.

You hear "prog metal," I hear metal with keyboards.

Do you see the problem? We (and not just you and I, but all of us here) cannot even agree on the meaning or boundaries of the term you are using, so all that I can say is: I don't regard it as a "progressive" album, whereas you (likely) do. We are no further ahead. In the end, there is no right or wrong (or objective "truth") on this matter, only the opportunity to find out the opinions of those who respond, and whether the majority opinion is "yes" or "no." 

Much like the polls which ask "who is the best drummer" you prove nothing (except the relative popularity of a given opinion among those who choose to respond). 

I'm not trying to be difficult, or irritate you Mike, but the term of reference central to your question is UNDEFINED --  it's an unknown quantity.Stern Smile

So is life. That doesn't mean that we can't talk about it.

In the 1800s, whales were commonly thought to be fish. To establish whether they are fish or mammals, people first had to agree upon the respective defining qualities of fish and mammals. With those qualities firmly established, naturalists could then prove that a whale is in fact a mammal. First, you attain consensus on the precise meanings of the terms of reference, then -- and only then -- can you prove whether or not something meets the established criteria.

Here though, we are dealing with art, not science. (I can PROVE that a whale gives milk, bears live young, is warm-blooded, and has lungs to breathe air, and is thus, by established definition, a mammal.) Our interpretation of art, and our response to it, is an individual, subjective thing.

Who is the "best" guitarist? Define and agree upon what constitutes "best." (impossible, as it's an intangible matter of taste, of emotion)

Is this album progressive? Define and agree upon what constitutes "progressive." (again, impossible, as it's a matter of taste and perception)Stern Smile

These questions are really just asking for opinions. Do we have to add "IMO" to each of our sentences here? It should be implicitly clear that anything beyond facts here is only an opinion. The result of any "best" poll is only a majority based suggestion, and everybody knows that - no need to spell it out IMO.

A painting makes you cry, but it makes me laugh. Which reaction is "right?" (They BOTH are!)

A song gives you pleasure, but it gives me pain. Both reactions are "true."

Smile

Sure. So if we proceed with this poll we will in the end have determined if generally people would (or would not) call Queen II "progressive".

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12