Magenta -Seven

Tool - Lateralus

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

IQ - Dark Matter 

etc etc etc

did you jsut call radiohead the pinnical of prog rock today? They're
barley even prog! same with Tool.

Prcupine tree yes!, but Mars volta? please!

The Mars Volta are FAR more innovative and "progressive" in the sense of
pushing music forward than the Flower Kings (and I do think that the
Flower Kings are very good.)
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
chazmire View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:11
I agree that the Mars Volta really is progressive, adding something that feels new and fresh to the genre.  That said, I'll listen to the Flower Kings much more often.  But, after hearing the new FK cd on Delicious Agony, I've decided not to get it.  I have to agree with those who want them to edit their stuff.  Still love them, though.
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 14:19

So Lateralus is not contrived ?, IMO that's not true, from that list the only albums that are really good are the Par Lindh one and Dark Matter. But despite of loving dark matter i find it contrived too.

Kid A, Lateralus, and Deadwing are not good albums IMO

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 15:21
I'd never compare Camel to The Flower Kings in any way personally; Camel's music was always tight and very structured and The Flower Kings' is the exact opposite. However, at their best I suppose The Flower Kings do have the ability to transport the listener. I think though, Roine Stolt is arguably better in other projects- such as Transatlantic and The Tangent- as with other musicians, a tighter rein seems to be imposed.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 15:53

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I'd never compare Camel to The Flower Kings in any way personally; Camel's music was always tight and very structured and The Flower Kings' is the exact opposite. However, at their best I suppose The Flower Kings do have the ability to transport the listener. I think though, Roine Stolt is arguably better in other projects- such as Transatlantic and The Tangent- as with other musicians, a tighter rein seems to be imposed.

I do compare them, and I don't see how Camel play a particularly "tight" music, considering that there are bands like King Crimson or VdGG. TFK are simply a much more diverse band than those of the 70s. They take all these influences and use them how they (let's face it: It's Roine alone who composes in TFK) see fit ... and while there are some TFK albums that contain extended improvisations that don't seem to go anywhere, there also are many tight compositions and - indeed - whole albums like Space Revolver or Retropolis which are quite tight.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 16:02

I see what you are saying Mike, but to me Camel seemed to compose their solos with melody in mind, in fact they are often damned moving (such as 'The Last Farewell', 'The Snow Goose', 'The White Rider', 'Ice') but to me, at least from the Flower Kings albums I know, it's as if they are improvised, not so melodically minded.

People probably get the impression I'm not a fan- in fact, I do like their music. I've not heard any songs by them that make me cringe yet, and they are keeping symphonic prog alive for many fans, but I do think their songs are a bit rambling and impenetrable at times. Four double CD studio albums is just excessive imo...that would have made around 16 sides of vinyl back in the 70s!!

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 16:17
^ I know what you mean. Do you know Stolt's solo album Hydrophonia? Great album, I like it even more than the TFK albums - it is very melodic. There's still a lot of improvising, but all centered around key melodies.
grandoleopry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Ok, The Flower Kings are NOT NEO PROG!!!!!! 

Personally I have a hard time believeing that a band with such a pechant for improvisation like The Flower Kings do can be considered contrived.  The Flower Kings are quite possibly one of the most naturally flowing bands out there.  The talent that these guys have just blends togethor so well.

I agree. This band seems to have a life of it's own as opposed to being contrived. They are a breath of fresh air in field of over wrought musicianship and little inspiration.
Dreams. Gabor Szabo (1968)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12