Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrazy little thing called prog-related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by wolf0621 wolf0621 wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

There was also that classical piece performed recently, that was just silence.  The orchestra was sat there, but nobody played anything, they were all sat in position, ready to play.I forget who the composer was, but it was rather controversial at the time (last year, if memory serves).So yes, these things have been tried (and gawped at).
      Composer was probably John Cage.4.3? of Silence.He (cleverly)claimed that wherever it was 'performed' it would sound different every time because of the ambience caused by the different audiences and venues it was 'performed' in . Genius!     
4'33" is scored for piano, believe it or not. However, I know that Cage wrote an extended version - by popular demand - and he may have re-scored it for orchestra.     

Sure, and I'm working on the version for tuba & trombones (they also won't be played but the instrument rental fees are a killer, as are the costs for polishing compounds)...The sheet music is also a mess, hard to tell where this thing begins & ends...I do think I have a handle on it though...Stay tuned

Actually, it's not so hard - Cage marked each of the 3 movements very clearly in the score - and it fits nicely onto one page for the piano edition.

I guess the orchestral extended version must be radically different - he must have re-written it rather than re-scored it...
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
wolf0621 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 08:54

Originally posted by wolf0621 wolf0621 wrote:

Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

There was also that classical piece performed recently, that was just silence.  The orchestra was sat there, but nobody played anything, they were all sat in position, ready to play.I forget who the composer was, but it was rather controversial at the time (last year, if memory serves).So yes, these things have been tried (and gawped at).
      Composer was probably John Cage.4.3? of Silence.He (cleverly)claimed that wherever it was 'performed' it would sound different every time because of the ambience caused by the different audiences and venues it was 'performed' in . Genius!     
4'33" is scored for piano, believe it or not. However, I know that Cage wrote an extended version - by popular demand - and he may have re-scored it for orchestra.     

Sure, and I'm working on the version for tuba & trombones (they also won't be played but the instrument rental fees are a killer, as are the costs for polishing compounds)...The sheet music is also a mess, hard to tell where this thing begins & ends...I do think I have a handle on it though...Stay tuned

Actually, it's not so hard - Cage marked each of the 3 movements very clearly in the score - and it fits nicely onto one page for the piano edition.

I guess the orchestral extended version must be radically different - he must have re-written it rather than re-scored it...

Sounds like Cage was very neat...And the neighbors probably never complained for him to turn it down when he was rehearsing this...3 movements? Also sounds like he was pretty regular...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12