Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnheard Beatles album ’planned’

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unheard Beatles album ’planned’
    Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:14

Just seen this on the BBC web site -

Unreleased Beatles tracks are to be reworked for a Las Vegas circus show soundtrack, with an accompanying album reported to be lined up for release.

Producer Sir George Martin is making background music for the forthcoming Cirque du Soleil show by remastering unheard recordings by the band.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4905630.stm

Anyone know any more about this?

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:26
I knew Cirque du soleil was designing and planning to open a new Vegas show based solely on Beatles music (from a piece on 60 minutes last year) but this is the first I've heard of unreleased music.  I thought that goldmine had been tapped out by now.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:39

Indeed. I can't believe there's any unreleased material- surely it would have all been used up on the various cash cows of below par outtakes and assorted cutting room floor crap that surfaced on the 'Anthology' series and 'Let It Be..Naked'?

If there IS unreleased material, I'd bet it's of a very weak quality indeed. Most of the unreleased songs from the Anthology ('If You've Got Trouble' anyone??) were pretty weak, and if it wasn't deemed as usable then one can only imagine how weak it is...

One track that never got used springs to mind- an infamous piece of (I believe) musique concrete that was largely McCartney's idea called 'Carnival Of Light'. I've never heard this but I recall the hoo-hah amongst die-hards when it wasn't included on the Anthology series.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:43
Yes, apart from the Carnival of Light thing, there are still a number of unreleased songs (apparently). The ones I've heard of include "Colliding Circles", "Pink Paper Litmus Shirt" and even a song called Rubber Soul. Whether these do actually exist is another matter but it will be interesting to find out.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:43
Oh, and there's always the 25 minute version of Helter Skelter.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 11:46
Perhaps Mr. Martin has some unreleased "incidental" music that he may have left out of Yellow Submarine.  But that line about "recordings by the band" is the puzzler.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 13:57
Apparently  there are lots of recordings from the Let It Be Sessions still unreleased, mostly cover versions of the songs the band used to play in their early days, and mostly incomplete. I can't imagine that there's much of any reasl value left, though.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply