Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGood Apollo I’m Burning Star IV. . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV. . . .
    Posted: April 14 2006 at 16:48

. . . Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

This Coheed and Cambria's newest album, and as you can see, the name was too long to fit in the subject.  I know that threads for C & C have been made, but I wanted to discuss thier new album and see what other people think, so I hope no one decides to lock this.

I love this CD.  It is just really good, and although many are toen between whether or not to consider them prog or not, I think most would agree they are at least prog related.  I would hope you actually listen to this CD before you decide one way or another.

I like everything on this album, especially the vocals and lyrics.  Claudio Sanchez (vocalist) sounds a lot like Geddy Lee, and his style of singing will either make or break whether ot not you like these guys.  I can understand why some can't stand his singing, but I liike it's uniqueness.  All musicians are good.  The guitar player is solid, and does a lot more olos than exepcted, and does them well.  The concluding solo on the final track sounds like Pink Floyd, and if they say they weren't going for that sound, they are lieing, because it is blatantly obvious, but it is good.  Other than the last solo, it is hard to compare these guys to anyone else.  The drummer and bass player are both solid and very good.  The bas player is smooth and does some really cool riffs, and the drummer isn't the fastest I have heard, but he is just one of the many good drummers out there.

The lyrics are great.  There is definatly a story there, and one that is much deeper than I origanally thought.  It turns out that the story spans acroos all three of thier CD's, and is a sci/fi adventure story starring two main characters named Coheed and Cambria.  Now this may seem dorky to a lot, and it even does to me a little, but I like it.  And the lyrics are good too.  They are dark and thoughtful and many parts in the music things seem very upbeat and cheery, until you give a better listen to the vocals, which turn out to be very dark.  I love stuff like that.

I could keep writing, but I will stop here, as most of you probably lost interest by now if you made it this far.

So, who else has heard this, and what do you think?  If you are going to bash and cut the band down, please give your reasons.  Lets try to keep the criticism constructive.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:13
IMO one of the best albums I've heard that got alot of promotion. This is the only album I have by them and I think that they at least belong to prog related or art rock in this site. They are very energetic and play very good (I saw a video of them and Claudio Sanchez did a solo with his guitar behind his head and it sounded good!)

They heard in this site that they called themselves prog and even have a 4 piece suite at the end of the album. What more do you want?

Cheers goes to Claudio Sanchez and Omar Rodriguez for representing Puerto Rico

Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:47

Co&Ca are an awsome band, I ,I love them! I class them as prog, they class themselves as prog and are proud of it. yeah the last track is very dave gilmouresque solo wise, but im not complaing. Claudio di say that alot of people compre them to rush and vocally and song writing way you can see why, high vocals with lots of interlocking riffs.

Rael you are right the three albums tel the story of Coheed and Cambria (they are based on Claudio's comic book to which the cds are the sound tracks to) and their three sons, on second turbine blade (book 2) coheed views cambria on a another planet an becomes monstar and thus kills cambria and two of his sons, the third claudio, gets away. in keeping secrets of silent earth: 3 (book three) is a continuation of the stroy from the song 'neverender' from SSTB, claudio falls asleep and goes into what he thinks is a dream but this is actually a reality thus comes GAIBS:IV which is all abotu Apolo (who is a dog), chuck in some stuff about a ketworks that holds te universe together and thats basically the story thus far (i did say I liked this band)!

I know its abit geeky but im not complaining im a geek and proud of it, I like my sci-fi and fantasy, I like my prog-rock, prog-metal and power metal, I like dabbleing on my computer and arseing aroun with my guitars, amp an fx pedal.

ahh yeah they are good live as well, very energetic and enjoy themselves.  

Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:57
Awesome.  I also love the geekiness.  It is a really interesting story.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 18:00

Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

IMO one of the best albums I've heard that got alot of promotion. This is the only album I have by them and I think that they at least belong to prog related or art rock in this site. They are very energetic and play very good (I saw a video of them and Claudio Sanchez did a solo with his guitar behind his head and it sounded good!)

They heard in this site that they called themselves prog and even have a 4 piece suite at the end of the album. What more do you want?

Cheers goes to Claudio Sanchez and Omar Rodriguez for representing Puerto Rico

Yea, when they play The Final Cut live, they do about ten minutes of improv to close it out. It's very relaxing and entertaining. Both gutiar players do some cool stuff.

As far as the 4 piece suite goes, I really don't think musically they go together as one piece. Rather, I think it's just a sub plot in the story that ties them together. There is a 3 part suite in the middle of In Keeping Secrets, and it too really is just a sub plot in the story. That's my take on them.

www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 18:21
I really enjoy this album, and it's definitely at least prog related.  I do think some of the lyrics border on crap, such as "If hello could only drop it's 'o'".  I laugh at that every time I hear it.  If it's meant to be funny, congratulations to Claudio.
Though I must say it's not completely original.  As mentioned above, The Final Cut is Floydish (but C&C must have done that on purpose because of the song title) and Welcome Home definitely owes a lot to Kashmir (and I've heard the band admit this in interviews).  I like it all, but the last four songs are fantastic!  Definitely the hope for prog along with The Mars Volta.

Edited by lunaticviolist
My recent purchases:
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 18:24
^ Did I also mention that their videos are extremely cheesy? 
My recent purchases:
GPFR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 18:36
^^Cheesy is too nice, lol.

I love C&C, all I have is GAIBSIVV1:FFTtEoM (),  and I really like it. Borderline Prog, I could see them as a prog in a few albums. Don't like vocals, I know they sound like Geddy Lee, I don't like his either. The guitar work is great. They can be dramatic and fun, whichever fits, which I think makes them great for story telling. Thumbs up Coheed and Cambria!
www.myspace.com/hail_peter
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 09:21
Art rock category. Awesome really progressive band, btw...
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 09:33

I've heard bits and pieces of it - seems a little more hard-edged than In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3 (which I enjoy greatly).  I'll pick it up at some point.....

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 12:34

Update to above post - picked it up yesterday, used for $5.  Listening to it now.  Nice. 

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 13:46
enjoy 

~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 14:44
Why was this moved from the proto prog, prog related forum?  I think most agree it is at least prog related.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 22:26
I'm still trying to enjoy this album and I've had it a fair while.  Final Cut is by far the best track and it is basically a rip-off of Pink Floyd.  Welcome Home is a good single too.  There is one other good track on their (besides the opener, which shouldn't really be classed as a track as such, it just starts the album off) and I forget which one.  Great musicians, but the cheesyness of "Good Apollo: The Writer's Writer" puts me off with it's cheesy cheerleader whelps, I really don't like that track, it's emo to the extreme.

Claudio's vocals are not too harsh, some tracks are better than others for me, if I remember correctly, the penultimate track (the one before Welcome Home), isn't all that bad and has reasonably dark lyrics.

I've played it a bit, but I have no huge desire to play it again, but I will try it on headphones and see if it makes any difference.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 14:20
good album indeed, but I like IKSOSE:3  so much more. It's actually more prog than IV. Ha thinking back that and ...And Justice for All (Metallica) are kinda what got me into music w/ complex structure. Then i got Octavarium *laugh those that want to i still love it* and  I had to listen to more *btw the title tracks my favorite*

Post Reply Post Reply