Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The return of PENDRAGON- Riff's Bar- May 11 '06
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe return of PENDRAGON- Riff's Bar- May 11 '06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The return of PENDRAGON- Riff's Bar- May 11 '06
    Posted: May 13 2006 at 20:31
 After a night of thunder, lightening & torrential rain...........it was going to be a good day, and indeed, the sun shone.....the temperature rose, and there was a tingly feeling of anticipation and good things in the air!

Riff's bar is a tiny venue, but it is home ground for Nick Barrett, and it has won "Best Live Music Pub- UK" for the last two years. (www.riffsbar.biz) So an ideal starting point for such a heavily scheduled tour!

A group of us met at a nearby bar before hand and strolled down in the sunshine to what was soon to become a VERY packed, and VERY hot little venue!

It was great to see folk there from ALL age groups, from kids to ..........well lets just say more "mature" types Wink

So to the gig..........

Opening for Pendragon were Gary Changdler (jadis) and Steve Thorne, duetting with guitars and vocals, covering tracks from Jadis (old and new) and from Steve's album Emotional Creatures pt 1. Although a short set, it was a great way to start the evening off!

Pendragon---
I don't want to give away the set list, because at time of posting there is still 21 gigs to go over the next month, but if anyone is desperate to know there is a ist on the Pendragon forum (www.pendragon.mu/forum)  After a brief but atmospheric intro, we were thrown headlong into a vibrant and energetic set, with material ranging from the present day (much of BELIEVE was played) to some really early classics. Pendragon "sing-a-long" numbers were present along with some spine tingling moments of heavenly guitar!

All the band seemed on fine form, really energetic, and after a break of nearly 5 (yes FIVE) years since the last tour it really was a very special night. I spoke to guys there who have been following the band for nearly 25 years, as well as one girl who only heard them for the first time a few weeks ago. I heard songs that I never ever thought I would hear live again, as well as seeing live interpretations of new tracks (from Believe) that I have grown to love.

I am finding this hard to write with out giving the game away.so maybe I should write a longer review at the end of the tour......I am lucky enough to have tickets for London AND Sheffield! Big smile

The new boy on the drum stool Joe Crabtree (www.drumsolo.co.uk) was incredible! He bought some vibrance to the set that I never before realised was missing, and he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself! Also, for this tour was the addition of large screens with a combination of animated and 'real' footage playing. I know some people have mixed feelings about these screens, but I thought they added a really special dimention to the whole experience. (especially for those poor folk stuffed at the back!!!LOL)

All in all, this was Pendragon at thier very best, Nick's vocals were in tip top sound, the guitar sound was spectacular, and Clive did a lot of jumping up and down! 
The set was about 2 1/2 hours long, so we certainly had value!

The crowd went wild! The venue was heaving and there was definately a party atmosphere!

I hope we gave the boys a good send off for thir tour, I think we did! I got home at about 2am, and relived the whole thing with friends for about 2 hours over cups and cups of coffee!

Anyone who likes Pendragon, should seriously check them out on this tour.....I don't think it is possible to be dissapointed!

ClapClapClapClap

P-C
 Post Reply Post Reply