Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMostly Autumn in London - Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mostly Autumn in London - Review
    Posted: December 05 2004 at 15:57

Wow!! Where to begin.
Evelyn and myself got good seats in the front row in the circle so we got a great view.
Firstly then, the Mostly Floyd set. Heather(sigh) sat this part out and was supping on what looked like Bacardi and Cokes while enjoying watching the other six MA members.
Starting with Echo's, they launched into a great 45 minutes or so of Floyd stuff. I must say that, I like PF but I am not one of their greatest fans and have never seen or heard any of their music played live but, MA certainly did them justice and were great as a warm up band for the part I was really looking forward to, the MA set.
While it is nice to see these little side tracks like the PF tribute and the White Noise thing, its done now chaps, get on with being Mostly Autumn, you dont need to be anyone else.
Ok, onto the main set. It was just one classic song after another and the whole band were on great form. Andy Smith and Andrew Jennings kept the heartbeat of the sound going while the rest of the band just moulded the tunes together and everyone one of them were played very well.
All of my favorites were in the set tonight, Something In Between...Evergreen and then Shrinking Violet. Now this song never fails to moisten my eyes and while listening to it, I thought back to when I first saw MA play a couple of years back at Chinnerys in Southend, Essex. There were about 70 people in the audience and I watched a good band play some great music. The female singer came across as quite a shy 'shrinking violet' sort of person and though I found her enchanting, my eyes were fixed mainly on the strings of Bryan Josh's guitar. Last night, I watched another woman sing the same song, but this lady is no shrinking violet, at least, not the performing part of this lady. Heather(sigh) is without any doubt in my mind, the star of this band now and just has me mesmerised (though I am not biased, honest). Yes, Bryan is a great player Iain and Liam too, but I think it is Heathers voice and stage persona that will bring people to their future shows.
So, we are half way through the set and then Heather introduces a friend of theirs onto the stage....enter, Doogie White. Well, it was great seeing him a few weeks back during the White Noise gig but this was a nice surprise. Doogie asked Heather whether she had her dancing shoes on, Heather then asked Doogie if he had his dancing hat on.(you know, THE hat)Heather then asked someone in the audience, Maria, I think? 'What time is it?' Maria replied...Time to Rock (wish I could have done that) and off they all went into Never the Rainbow. Good to hear the song but it got a bit messy when Doogie kept forgetting to sing his bits.
Then they continued to play out the remainder of their set, finishing with Mother Nature, including an Echos reprise and FairyTale of New York.
The one new song they played, Hard Life, I think is yet another classic in the making and I am really looking forward to the new album. Also looking forward to seeing the band at Crewe at the end of the month...I might even wear my Heather(sigh) t-shirt again
As for the future. I really want to hear a Heather solo album but at the same time, I dont really want MA to play these other side projects

You guys should try and get to see this band if you get a chance.

Post Reply Post Reply