FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed80's Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 01:11
Originally posted by kenmeyerjr kenmeyerjr wrote:

And, I DO consider bands like U2 80's bands, even though their start may have been in the late 70's..I think it depends on which decade they are really identified with, and that is usually the decade in which they were the most popular or really seemed new...Police also fall in that area for me.

U2's first album was released in 1980.
"they locked up a man who wanted to rule the world.
the fools
they locked up the wrong man."
- Leonard Cohen
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 03:51
Originally posted by darren darren wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The best "mainstream or radio friendly" 80's bands were actually a 70's bands (Police, U2 etc..) and most of my disliking of that decade comes from new wave (mainly) , but the Funk Scene as well AND the Hair (Glam) Metal Dead from those years >> BTW NWOBHMB did not do much for me either (outside laiden, I enjoyed NONE)

Just wondering, you say they were "actually a 70's bands". Their music that was released in the 80's, doesn't that qualify as 80's music?

Also, exactly how is U2 a 70's band. Seriously, I'd like to know.

the group's first releases were in the 70's (not that sure for U2, though, but ) is what I meant

Dire Straits >> 70's band
Police >> 70's band
The Jam >> 70's band
etc...

yes but Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost In The Machine, Synchronicity >> 80's music. I'd even make the arguement that Regatta de Blanc would qualify, since it was released late in '79 and didn't catch on in many areas outside of the UK until the next year.

This is what I was meant. The music itself is 80's music, as it was realeased in the 80's.
 see your point, but the type of group and the inside the group mentality from the three examples showed here above  is defintely more 70's.

According to dates, then Genesis is also an 80's bandConfused.

Late 70's groups (punk wave and pub rock derived >> Dire Straits) are definitely more 70's than 80's even if they have a good part of their disographies releazsed in the 80's

there is a tremendous difference in aesthetics of music between Police, Clash and Jam than there is between Duran , Gruppo Sportivo etc... >> in that regard Devo is more of the 80's band while Talking Heads is more of a 70's band even if again both groups existed in both decades

Anyway, just a few thoughts and nothing to startr an argumentLOL

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 22:40
^^ No, I'm not suggesting Genesis is an 80's band but the music they have released in the 80's is 80's music.

By the way, wouldn't your reasoning make Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Yes and King Crimson all 60's bands?
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 05:15

^^ No, I'm not suggesting Genesis is an 80's band but the music they have released in the 80's is 80's music.

By the way, wouldn't your reasoning make Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Yes and King Crimson all 60's bands?

Apart from Yes, I would say that the ones I highlighted in bold characters here above are 60's bands IMHO certainly ( also 70's groups because the early 70's were a direct consequence of the sixties), mostly because they released albums before 68 or in 68.

Genesis, Yes and KC released albums as a prog group first, where Tull and Moodies started out as a 60's blues group that evolved into a prog group >> ditto for Floyd and psychadelia >> comes down to the group roots and inside-mentality. I would even say that Yes lyrics are about the hippy-drippyest gibberish of all prog groups >> making this group almost as much a sixties group as a 70's one

One thing we must look to is that from the happy golden 60's, the 70's was not a happy decade in humankind (I am not talking of our careless teenage point of view where music , drugs and girls were our only pre-occupations >> I was 14 in 77 in Toronto, BTW) and it was a grim decade (see below)Smile

What it comes down is that musically and philosophically , the 60's ended not with altamont, but in 74 , when the spirit of summer Of Love finally died its slow death.

And the grim unhappy 70's started from 73 and the first oil crisis , 72 and the first terrorist attacks (Munich Olympics etc..)

Back to late 70's , the art pop scene coming from US Glam scene (call it NY scene where Talking Heads and Television evolved from the NY Dolls , Reed, Ramones etc...) this is definitely belonging to the 70's (according to the criterias I gave you above) In UK, the pub rock scene (Dr Feelgood , Eddie Hot Rod was slowly transformed from Dire Straits, Sniff And The Tears and ZZebra) is also 70's music.

and Punk is definitely the 70's scene (Police and Jam, but also Clash) with 80's ramifications >>> post punk and the b*****d son of both punk and Glam >>> new waveDead and its subgenres as NuRo (new Romantics etc...)

See where I am getting at?Wink

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 20:28
Nah, I have to disagree with a few of you...Genesis, Yes, and virtually all prog bands will be '70's bands' to me, because that is when those groups produced either their best work or their most recognized.

And I consider Dire Straits and 80's band as well, since their most known releases, I think, were in the 80's, their largest output as well, as far as I know (just going on memory here). I think it is possibly a subjective thing too. Some may think Pink Floyd would be an 80's band or even a 60's band, as one member said, but following my statement above, they will always be a 70's band to me.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 03:36
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I have noticed the 80's are by and large despised by many members of this forum. As a child of the 80's and having been weaned on MTV, I love a lot of the stuff tha came out of that period, particularly New Wave. Does anyone else like the 80's, or will I have to rock out to Tainted Love all by myself?

I love it too. I'm with you, my friend.
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 09:08

I'm a big The Cure fan!

(probably the biggest in my countryWink)
I also enjoy 80's Metallica, Joy Division, Spandau Ballet, Go West, Petra, etc. etc....

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 10:00
The 80s were my twenties, and yes, I like a lot of 80s music.

I believe those who roundly condemn all 80s music, as if it was all the same, tend to know only what they heard on commercial radio. Yes, there was some terrible stuff, & some more that was indifferent, but there was also plenty of very good music, in a wide variety of styles (same with 60s, 70s & 90s).

The 80s were a decade, not a genre!

Edited by Peter Rideout - July 11 2006 at 10:11
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 10:09

Yes, though they were founded in 1976.

I think when people think of "80s music" as some sort of trend, they are really thinking more of the period from around 77 to 86 or so. Lots of the so-called major "8os" bands started releasing albums around 77-78(Talking Heads, Cars, Dire Straits, XTC, Police, Boomtown Rats, Echo & the Bunnymen, Stranglers, etc.), and grunge/Seattle sound came along (to push them off the airwaves) somewhere in the latter half of the 80s, did it not? 

Edited by Peter Rideout - July 11 2006 at 11:03
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
darren View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 06:31

Ok, let's just say a lot of great music was RELEASED in the 80's is 80's music. This will clear up who was really a 70's band or whatever.

I seems some people will say 80's music sucked and when you mention a great song released in the 80's, it doesn't count because the band is really a 70's band. I don't agree and not sure I totally understand this reasoning.
the fools
- Leonard Cohen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 07:10
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Yes, though they were founded in 1976.

I think when people think of "80s music" as some sort of trend, they are really thinking more of the period from around 77 to 86 or so. Lots of the so-called major "8os" bands started releasing albums around 77-78(Talking Heads, Cars, Dire Straits, XTC, Police, Boomtown Rats, Echo & the Bunnymen, Stranglers, etc.), and grunge/Seattle sound came along (to push them off the airwaves) somewhere in the latter half of the 80s, did it not? 

Ride on Peter, my brother in aspiration

I mean:

Right onWink

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 07:48
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

BTW, ABC's album was called "The Lexicon of Love"

There's an album I've not listened to for a while... however, I always preferred "Beauty Stab"; great production & big guitar sound.

I've no real problem with 1980s music (well, no more than I have with the music from any decade - each has its high and low points), the problem I have with the 1980s is the clothes we wore...

+++confession time+++

My name is Jim Garten, and in the 1980s I wore skin tight jeans with red piping down the sides...

+++deep breath+++

...and I had a mullett!

No - there are no photos available!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123