Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGuapo US tour 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guapo US tour 2007
    Posted: June 10 2006 at 15:52
To tie in with their NEARFest appearance, Guapo have booked an American tour. Dates as follows:

ALL shows except NEARFest with Zombi

Friday, June 23 - tbc - Brooklyn, NY

Saturday, June 24 - Khyber , 56 S. 2nd St., Philadelphia, PA 19106 (215)
238-996

Sunday, June 25 - NEARFest - Bethlehem, PA

Monday, June 26 - Local 506 - 506 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 (919)
942-5506

Tuesday, June 27 -Earl, 448 Flat Shoals Rd, Atlanta, GA 30316 (404) 522-3950

Wednesday, June 28 - tbc - Memphis/Knoxville, TN

Thursday, June 29 - Pilot Light, 106 East Jackson Ave, Knoxville, TN 37915
(865) 524 - 8188

Friday, June 30 - 1035 N. Western Ave., Chicago , IL 60622 (773) 276-3600

Saturday, July 1 - tbc - Cleveland, OH

Sunday, July 2 - Garfield Artworks, 4931 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15224
(412) 361- 2262

Tuesday, July 4 - Middle East (upstairs) - 472 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge,
MA (617) 354 - 8238

Wednesday, July 5 - Amercan Legion Hall, , Wallngford, CT

Thursday, July 6 - Knitting Factory, 74 Leonard St., New York, NY 10013 (212)
219 3055
They will be touring as a 4 piece with Kavus Torabi (Cardiacs) and apparently a new bassist as well.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 15:53
Oh sweet, they're coming to TN!!!!!!!!! I have to go!
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 16:10
Definitely - they are breathtaking on a good night and pretty ****ing awesome even on an off night.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 16:15
It's also good if that show is in Memphis, I'll have a chance to catch the one in Atlanta instead. Memphis is far from here, and Atlanta is only an hour and a half, shame I know no one that knows who they are.

Edited by Zac M - June 10 2006 at 16:17
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 17:37
Once again I am snubbed... why can't they come to the west coast?
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 15:23
Because most of the club owners and other promoters think these shows are too big of risk to spend the money.  I always thought 2-3 of the bands should team up and do a tour to share costs. The only thing you and I or any other west coast prog fans can do is show up at the gigs they have such as Carl Palmer Band Zappa Plays Zappa, Spock's Beard, K2 and Calprog.  If we have empty seats at those then promoters won't book other acts of similar sound.  I know I have been trying to Proto-Kaw to come out on the West Coast fro two years and even with Kerry Livgren,s name they want to know if they will play Dust in the Wind and Carry On my Wayward Son.  Since they won't they don't get booked. Unhappy

Another point is where is the audience?  Where are they and how do you reach them?  Last night In Huntington Beach we saw two tribute bands one for Yes called Roundabout and the other was Gabble Ratchet for Genesis.  There were over a hundred people there!  The week before we saw K2 with Ryo Okutoto from Spock's Beard and there were like 30. I thought does anyone here at the tribute show know there is new prog being made and for the most part they didn't care! Confused They will come out and pay to hear an average rendition of these two bands music but are unwilling to even discuss new music that is based on the legacy of these bands that would be far better than the performance they saw last night. Like or not these people are the audience new prog is trying to capture and unless they start showing up to hear the newer prog bands when they do play they have little chance to see a band like Guapo show up unless it as Calprog. But even that is not selling out this year it looks like.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 16:13
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Because most of the club owners and other promoters think these shows are too big of risk to spend the money.  I always thought 2-3 of the bands should team up and do a tour to share costs. The only thing you and I or any other west coast prog fans can do is show up at the gigs they have such as Carl Palmer Band Zappa Plays Zappa, Spock's Beard, K2 and Calprog.  If we have empty seats at those then promoters won't book other acts of similar sound.  I know I have been trying to Proto-Kaw to come out on the West Coast fro two years and even with Kerry Livgren,s name they want to know if they will play Dust in the Wind and Carry On my Wayward Son.  Since they won't they don't get booked. Unhappy

Another point is where is the audience?  Where are they and how do you reach them?  Last night In Huntington Beach we saw two tribute bands one for Yes called Roundabout and the other was Gabble Ratchet for Genesis.  There were over a hundred people there!  The week before we saw K2 with Ryo Okutoto from Spock's Beard and there were like 30. I thought does anyone here at the tribute show know there is new prog being made and for the most part they didn't care! Confused They will come out and pay to hear an average rendition of these two bands music but are unwilling to even discuss new music that is based on the legacy of these bands that would be far better than the performance they saw last night. Like or not these people are the audience new prog is trying to capture and unless they start showing up to hear the newer prog bands when they do play they have little chance to see a band like Guapo show up unless it as Calprog. But even that is not selling out this year it looks like.

That's pretty much how I see it. And I think Zappa Plays Zappa is sold out, because I tried to get some tickets today and was unable to.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

That's pretty much how I see it. And I think Zappa Plays Zappa is sold out, because I tried to get some tickets today and was unable to.

Where are you on the West Coast?

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 19:00

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Where are you on the West Coast?

About 30 minutes outside of San Francisco.
cscrutinizer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 19:41
I am an avid Magma fan. I have seen them live, own all their albums and DVDs, and I thought KA was one of the most brilliant releases from a legacy progressive rock band EVER (let's see Genesis, Yes, or King Crimson do that!)

I bought 5 Suns because of the buzz about Guapo's similarities to Magma. At first listen, I enjoyed the album, but it is boring. It is so repetitive, and has none of the subtle embellishments and compositional prowess of Magma. It has no soul. Souless zeuhl does not work. Of course, no one can be like Magma. They are truly one of a kind. Is the newest Guapo album any better?

I saw Zombi play with the F'in Champs a while back. Again, kind of boring. They can do unconventional time signatures, but they are just playing soundscapes. Their compositional skills are poor. At best, their keyboards sound like LLDOB era Tony Banks if he had a short attention span and average manual dexterity. People in the indie rock club (most of whom think "Genesis" was the first Genesis album) thought they were brilliant and didn't realize the simplistic and derivative nature of their music. They basically write soundscapes -- after the first measure of music, you get the idea. It's not going anywhere else.

I pretty much got into progressive rock because of the 90's indie rock scene. Now the truly great bands have dissolved or aren't so great anymore, and the new vangaurd of progressive-informed indie bands is just unimpressive. Then there's the 80's revival, which is dominating the independent rock scene... 100% pure puke.

Through my own development, I have realized (and my record collection has always demonstrated this) that major label rock is not always a bad thing. I'd take Selling England By The Pound over anything ever released on Touch & Go.

That said, it is nice to hear bands informed by progressive rock. In the case of Guapo and Zombi, I would prefer to listen to their influences rather than their music. I guess I am spoiled from seeing so many better indie-progrock bands in the 90's...

Maybe I will check out the show. Indie shows are cheap... I can skip Zombi, though...

Edited by cscrutinizer - June 13 2006 at 19:42
cscrutinizer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 20:08

The West Coast has a different conception of "art music". If you like composers, orchestras, and the more hi-falutin' style of art music (for example Kronos Quartet), then the West Coast is the place. Or, cutting edge bands like Sleepytime, 5uu's, Thinking Plague (OK, West Coast claims are dubious, but I believe Bob Drake works in LA, and Denver is much closer to LA than NYC)

If you want to see The Musical Box or a somewhat obsure legacy prog-rock band from the 70's, don't expect them to play on the West Coast. The old-skool, legacy concert market in the West Coast is oriented around The Greatful Dead fallout -- hippy jam bands, etc.

I hate to generalize. This seems like an oversimplification... But it is the truth. I have wondered for years why all of these legacy progressive rock bands (other than the big ones like Yes) pretty much stick to the East Coast, with a huge concentration in the Philly/DC/Baltimore area... It's the music scene.

To have these shows on the West Coast, you need both promoters and fans. For some of the bigger acts, like the Musical Box, I think you could find the fans. But I don't think there is an interest in promoting this music. You need both...

And, to tell you the truth, if you go to a SGM concent, most people in the audience think they are gothic, and not progressive rock... They wouldn't see the similarities to RIO at all. They wouldn't get the donkey heads or Peter Gabriel-like makeup. I once was chatting up a lady at an SGM show, and I told her I liked SGM's stage presence and how it reminds me of Genesis... I was totally ridiculed at that point (because, of course, Genesis is known mainly by their 80's output). The funny thing is, I know members of SGM do like 70's Genesis.

They have an advantage -- they are not considered progressive rock by many people. They have a cool, scary look that the kids really like. Compare the reception they get to Bubblemath playing at the same club. You'd think someone farted cyanide...

It's a lot more complex than East Coast favors legacy and West Coast favors avant-garde. But for whatever reasons, this is a well known phenomenon...

I'm OK with it. For a few years, I enjoyed going to NEARfest... They had 2 years of lineups that had me on the airplane... (I mean, come on -- Magma and Univers Zero?!?) But lately, I have been content with what is going on around here... I saw Dream Theater a few months back, and they were excellent... Zappa plays Zappa is coming up in a few weeks. Then there's the odd Don Caballero show, which brings me back to the "old days" of 10 or so years ago, when indie rock was so excellent...

I think, as a fan, you have to either accept it, or become a promoter and do something about it.

If you choose to become a promoter, please do try to bring VDGG out west...

West is where all days will someday end,
where the colours turn from grey to gold,
and you can be with the friends.
And light flakes the golden clouds above;
West is Mike and Susie,
West is where I love.
motionless View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 15:40
Details for GUAPO show in Brooklyn, 6/23/06:

:: Guapo
:::: Zombi   www.zombi.us
:::::: Child Abuse   www.myspace.com/childabuse
:::::::: XOM   www.motionless.org

:: DJs Rose and Angela and friends

[ 102 INGRAHAM ST ]
102 Ingraham St @ Porter | EastWilliamsburgIndustrialPark, Bklyn
L to Morgan | ALL AGES | 8pm | no phone | $8 donation

Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 15:12
My post is not directly related to the US tour, but I just learned today that they have been touring Finland for the past few days and I missed it!! CryCryAngry

They played in Helsinki on Wednesday ... Damn, this is depressing. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply