Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKubrick or Lynch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch? Which movie director do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [70.37%]
8 [29.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 08:06
Lynch, even though he's made some crap, he's also made some of my favorite films of all time, most notably Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune, Blue Velvet.

Kubrick has a hollow ring for me. There always feels like there is a lot of potential in his work, but really, he is sort of a catalyst for what is considered 'artsy' by the general modern crowd, and that stuff is just way too stale and predictable for me.. Confused
black star, white light

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 09:12
    Kubrick is my favorite director, and I don't care for Lynch at all. "The Elephant Man" is the only one I find worth watching (except for "Dune," that's a pretty good comedy ). Everytime I have given up on him, a friend will tell about one that will change my mind. I watch it, and get frustrated again. There are several movies that I have liked as they built up, only to be ruined in the end (Nicolas Cage's ghost doing an elvis impression, Dean Stockwell, in a halo of light, singing "Blue Velvet," etc.).
Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 10:56

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Paul K. Paul K. wrote:

Being a big cinema fan, Kubrick easily gets my vote. After few years of consideration, I've figured that Lynch isn't all that fake, he actually works with archetypes - you may not sure what movie about, but it somehow appeals to you (well, at least to me [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align=middle>). Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Actually I started the opposite girection: I decided that Lynch's cheap style of making movies was due to the lack of finances at first , but as time went on I realized Lynch was all hype and not much substance.

Stylised movies making is one thing (I love Lelouch, even if he makes dud movies, his style is inimtable) , but in Lynch's case he makes B series movies his own private style, even with an a-style budget. His movies are purposely strange with odd characters and uncomplete stories to force the spectator that did not get it all saying that it is their fault for not understanding Lynch's concept. Whereas it should be the opposite, the spectator should say that Lynch is not able to make a correct movie. 

Jim Jarmusch's B-style movies are so much better Lynch's

I was the same opinion few years ago. But as I said he operates with archetypes and do it quite well.
Sometimes really, it's weirdness for the sake of weirdness, but not always.

Lynch has also a very good cinematography, but Kubrick anyway beats him at it (I just *love* all his tracking shots, use of colours, low cutting, etc...).
Weasels ripped my flesh
Epitath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 14:50
Personally I prefer Lynch, Mullholland Drive is a Masterpiece in the art of cinema movies.

but to this I must add that I have only seen ONE kubrick movie, being A Clockwork Orange which I did enjoy alot. So im not sure if my opinion will be the same once Ive seen the others, but for now I vote:

Lynch!
fogwalker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 15:58
Stan is the man.

Lynch isn't bad, but all his films have a kind of samey wierdness about them.

The impressive thing about Kubrick is his range - he has taken on nearly every film genre (horror, classical epic, sci-fi, social commentary, war) and produced masterpieces in each one.

Compared to this, David Lynch's repertoire seems very narrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12