Topic ClosedRoger Waters - Rome, 16 June 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters - Rome, 16 June 2006
    Posted: June 17 2006 at 05:26
Well, I think the message icon says it all... Simply put, it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen in my life. No comparison whatsoever with RW's 2002 show in Rome, where both the venue and the early hour (it was this same time of year, when the days are longest) played against him. Yesterday night the awesome light show was used to its full potential, complementing the magnificent music perfectly.

The show's venue was one of particular significance to football fans, being the fabled Curva Sud of the mighty Stadio Olimpico - home of AS Roma's ebullient followers (and that's a bit of an understatement...Wink). Needless to say, the terraces were full, while the seats below, right in front of the stage, were probably not sold out because of the hefty price of admission (almost €100, but worth every single cent). I was sitting there myself, so I was able to enjoy the gig from close up.

The show began at 9.30 p.m., when darkness had already set in. We saw the band come on stage when it was still dark, then Roger stepped up to the edge of the stage, greeted us in Italian and asked "Are you ready?". Then, an eruption of light, sound and fireworks marked the beginning of an unforgettable three hours...

BTW, here's the setlist:

In The Flesh
Mother
Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Have a Cigar
Wish you Were Here
The Gunner's Dream
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense 1 & 2
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Intermission

Dark Side of The Moon (ALL of it - every single note! Clap)

Encores:

The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall pt.2
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

Roger was in great shape: those who think that 62 means old and doddering should take a good look at him. He looks better than he ever did as a young man, and his stage presence, while not sharing any of the features of the stereotypical rock frontman, is quite commanding. I'm very happy to say that his voice was quite up to scratch too. He's never been a "great singer" in the Greg Lake or Steve Walsh mould (to name but two), but he's always been one of my favourite vocalists for the sheer emotion he puts in his delivery and the way he interprets his own words. Of course, he got a little help from the very gifted trio of female backing vocalists, but he sang most of his parts alone, mostly playing bass or acoustic guitar.

The band (all dressed in black) were very tight as well, featuring some of Roger's longtime collaborators, such as guitarist Snowy White (whom I had seen back in 1980 when PF performed "The Wall" on stage) and veteran Andy Fairweather-Low. Roger's son Harry (a funny character, with long, reddish-blond hair and a thick, curly beard) played keyboards, as he had done in 2002. The real surprise of the show, though, was lead guitarist Dave Kilminster, better known for having been a member of the short-lived Qango (with John Wetton and Carl Palmer) and of Keith Emerson's band. I'd heard of him in the past, but didn't realise how good a guitarist he was, even though quite different from Gilmour. As a matter of fact, he looked every inch the guitar hero, tossing his mane of dark hair about, with a sleeveless T-shirt showing his trim physique to its best advantage and enhancing all his moves. Yes, I thought he looked rather sexy...Wink Are ladies not allowed to drool sometimes?

For those of you who were wondering about Kilminster taking up Gilmour's vocal parts, he actually did not do much singing, at least not on his own. From what I could hear on "Money" (the only song he sang solo), he's quite a good vocalist, slightly reminiscent of Gilmour, but richer and more powerful. His guitar playing, though, was spectacular: no mere Vai clone (as I read somewhere on this forum), but someone also able to play in Gilmour's slower, more reflective and atmospheric style. His contrast with the sedate Snowy White (who used to play in Thin Lizzy...LOL) was quite striking, especially when the two were playing solos together - White calmly standing in the spotlight, Kilminster throwing shapes and wringing all kinds of sounds from his green-and-white guitar.

As to the highlights of the show, they're definitely too many to mention. The whole rendition of DSOTM was flawless, and the images projected on the backing screen didn't just enhance the music - they were a part of it, as in the unbelievably intense "On the Run/Time" double whammy. The most touching use of images, though, accompanied the highly political "The Fletcher Memorial Home" (a derelict rest home with pictures of politicians and dictators and chilling quotations decorating the walls), and Waters' newest song, the autobiographical "Leaving Beirut". In the latter (not so great musically, but with great lyrics promoting peace and understanding among different peoples), a cartoon told the story and the lyrics to the audience - who probably were not proficient enough in English in order to fully appreciate them. "Sheep" was also very powerful - a rarely-heard song, but undoubtedly one of PF's best-ever tracks. Finally, an absolutely stunning rendition of "Comfortably Numb" was a fitting close to such an outstanding show.

As somebody else pointed out, the whole gig was quite highly charged in a political sense - the choice of "Bring the Boys Back Home" was not at all casual. Fortunately, I happen to agree with Waters' views completely, and so did most of the audience. Therefore, this aspect added value to a great musical moment. Roger Waters is alive and well - after such a show, who needs a PF reunion?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 02:33

Great review, GR.

I am seeing him tonight.

Dream Theater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 21:56
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Great review, GR.

I am seeing him tonight.

You are so lucky Dead
wish I live in your town...
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 11:27
Well, I must say that this afternoon I really got a nice surprise... If you go and visit Dave Kilminster's website (www.davekilminster.com), on the reviews page you'll find the same review I wrote here...I mean, word for word, and with the paragraphs where I spoke of the guitarist emphasised in bold... I suppose he (or whoever read my review) liked the comments I made on his performance and, perhaps, on his physical appearance. What do you think? Should I try my chance with him? In an interview he said he loves Italy...Not that I would mind...I'm not crazy about his face, but the rest is quite fanciable...WinkLOL

Must be the heat affecting me... lusting after men on a public forum... And I'm supposed to be a serious musical expert!Tongue
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:07
I say, go for it, GR.
Maybe you'll have an exciting episode of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:16
Assaf, if you had any idea of how really shy I am.... especially when it comes to men! I love them as friends, though... otherwise it would be quite hard here, being one of the very few women!Wink
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:22
^^^
I symphatize, I am probably as shy as you.
Regardless of you being a woman, I think you're doing an excellent job, especially with that review on Waters show - and the evidence is that it is now featured on Kilminster website.

Gonna see anymore shows in the future?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:26
Hopefully Emerson in London, then for sure Maiden in December - but they're not prog, so I don't think it would be appropriate to post a review here. Unless someone is keen to read me drooling on Steve Harris and Janick Gers...Wink

Seriously, though, I hope to see some more good gigs in the future, now that Italy is back on the circuit. I missed Tool the other day because it was sold out. And next time they're around I'm not going to miss DT for anything in the world... I WANT to see if these phenomena (?) can really cut it live!LOL
AtLossForWords View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 17:19
We need to give you the title "Performance and Cast Reviewer" title after more reviews like this "Rafaella! LOL

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 12:45
I just saw this show in Massachussetts, USA last Friday.

HANDS DOWN, the best show I've ever seen.

Absolutely flawless.

One could tell that the overall emphasis was on the _music_, not anyone's ego. They played with real passion, and emotional investment. I was literally moved to tears during "Us and Them", which hasn't happened in years. How many times must I have heard this song? Likely hundreds.

the band was absolutely stellar, with Kilminster being a personal highlight for me. He played with such intensity, and perfect adaptation of Gilmour's style - yet when he added his own voice, it meshed perfectly.

Absolutely astonishing! I'm still on Cloud 9, as you can see. Clap
Pure Brilliance:
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 17:44

Thanks for those nice reviews of Roger Waters show. I will be seeing this show at the Bell Center in Mtl on the 21 st of september, which is next week. I am really anxious now to see this show.Smile 

C'est la vie
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 22:42
I don't mean to change the subject (btw- Great review, you obviously enjoyed yourself)

but what is all this hubub I hear about Rogar water's tours becoming ploys for his political propaganda against, such things as the War in Iraq?
I heard this from someone, and being as I don't know first hand what the heck he was talking about, I thought I'd ask.

Dust in the Kitchen
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 16:26
I saw him perform the DSotM tour on September 6 in New Jersey.  I really enjoyed it, especially the second set.
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 17:34
I loved this show. We were completly blown away and spaced out by all this spectacular performance of Roger waters and his band. What an event, something to see. I won't make a review as many of you already made it on this thread. I agree with all this. What a great show. We did not really miss Gilmour. David Kilminster did the  job well singing Money and all the musicians were fantastic. P.P.Arnold was fantastic while singing " The Great Gig in the Sky"Big smileHug 

C'est la vie
 Post Reply Post Reply