FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRob Reed (Magenta) project ChimpanA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rob Reed (Magenta) project ChimpanA
    Posted: July 11 2006 at 11:14

Chimpan A is a new project co-written, performed, produced and engineered by Rob Reed (Magenta) which also features the vocal talents of Steve Balsamo (The Storys, Jesus Christ Superstar) and Rob Thompson (The Storys) on guitar.

The CD also features vocals from Christina Booth (Magenta), Sam Brown (David Gilmour, Jools Holland, solo) and well-known Welsh classical soprano Sian Cothie. London-based poet Tony Dallas also contributes some remarkable spoken word passages. The band has made innovative use of samples from Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells and the choral work of British composer John Tavener and while the project is not "prog" as such – it should appeal to anyone who enjoys Massive Attack, Zero 7, Peter Gabriel, Bjork or Jakatta particularly – there is certainly a progressive spirit which definitely brings it into the sphere of this forum.

You can hear samples of the CD at www.progrock.co.uk/samples/index.html page and complete songs at the bands’ Myspace site www.myspace.com/chimpana. A website is also available at www.chimpana.com

It is Available to buy from www.progrock.co.uk and www.sonicbond.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 15:37
I was given a flyer about this project after the recent Pendragon gig. Sounds very interesting - I'm listening to it now, it sounds a bit like trip-hop, chill out sort of stuff. Worth checking out.
Lambsie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 15:39
It is indeed - but in my view the songwriting is a cut above your usual chill out stuff.  Very inventive instrumentally, too.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 16:07
Interesting name too, I must admit I didn't get it straight away (well, it was late).
 Post Reply Post Reply