Topic ClosedStump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stump
    Posted: August 06 2006 at 00:35
Anyone from the UK know these guys?

They were around in the late 80's and were a mix of Beefheart and demented pop music. They are absolutely amazing, and 1988's A Fierce Pancake is their major label attempt. Any feedback on these guys is appriciated as I feel as I'm the only person who knows who they are.

Also, if you know of any other releases (or have any) please lemme know, I love this disc so much!!

Edited by Nipsey88 - August 06 2006 at 00:36

SlipperFink View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2006 at 20:16
Don't cha love how ya get tossed in some obsure basement corridor if some pedantic ProgNerd hasn't APPROVED yer band as "Prog"... here on ProgFruitKakeSymposium

Ahh me.

Some things never change.

A quarter of a century ago, the same close-minded BS sank the Prog movement in the first place.

Anyhoo.

That Stump record is a BIZARRE and very refreshing disc indeed. Especially given the time frame of it's release. And the fact it was on a major. If memeory serves me.... Somebody GAVE it to me during the making of another record for the same parent label(US release). It was basically handed over on the old "Hey!! You like obscure stuff that's gonna TANK big.... check out these freaks that so and so signed.... he'll be looking for work in about 6 months..." premise that A&R guys use to revel in each others misery.

Gotta love A&R guys as well... Almost as big a pack of snobbish mulletheads as the average gaggle of know-it-all Prog fans...

Moving on.

Cool band. Strange and compelling record. Here's a link to a little history from somebody who is qualified to tell it.

http://www.kevhopper.dsl.pipex.com/Stump.html

In any event.... That makes TWO of us.

Let's start a "ProgNerdzMustDie" website.

Just a thought.

SM.

Edited by SlipperFink - August 06 2006 at 20:17
 Post Reply Post Reply