Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Bowie (Genre Poll)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Where does he fit in...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [19.05%]
26 [41.27%]
25 [39.68%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 21:40
Prog-related. In no way to me does he seem to fit in to art rock. I am for including him on the site, though.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 21:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

Looking at the results of this poll, it looks like the majority of people feel Bowie is Prog Related.
Why is he ignored time and time again?

have patience young man hahahha not ignored as I told you earlier. I have plans for Bowie

Me too. I want his closet (and everything that it contains). He should have his own cathegory: Art Clothes.

ĦBeware of the Bee!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 21:45
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

Looking at the results of this poll, it looks like the majority of people feel Bowie is Prog Related.
Why is he ignored time and time again?

have patience young man hahahha not ignored as I told you earlier. I have plans for Bowie

Me too. I want his closet (and everything that it contains). He should have his own cathegory: Art Clothes.

LOL Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 22:37

Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

Frank Sinatra made lots of concept albums and he's not "prog".... so the concept album term is a very vague link to progressive music.... I'll admit I haven't listened much of his early work, but what I heard so far was fine rock, but no art rock whatsoever.... however, when I have the chance I'll give him some more listenings...

his status here is yet TBD but a quick Google of Bowie and Art Rock brings up tons of stuff.  Bowie/Art Rock remains to be seen here.. but should not dismissed out of hand.  And before you say you don't hear Art Rock in him.. take a look at how art rock is defined here and some of the groups and tell me there is a art rock 'sound'.   There isn't one.

Well you may be right in the art rock bit.. since GG has nothing to do with KC... but they are mainly progressive.... I'm not going to make rushed judgement on Bowie and say he's not progressive, but I haven't yet heard a single tune from him that resembles "prog"... perhaps some other songs will clear my mind.. but I might agree about him being maybe prog-related (at least in the meantime, based on opinions here mostly)
Jesus Gabriel
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 22:02

Frank Sinatra made lots of concept albums and he's not "prog".... so the concept album term is a very vague link to progressive music.... I'll admit I haven't listened much of his early work, but what I heard so far was fine rock, but no art rock whatsoever.... however, when I have the chance I'll give him some more listenings...

his status here is yet TBD but a quick Google of Bowie and Art Rock brings up tons of stuff.  Bowie/Art Rock remains to be seen here.. but should not dismissed out of hand.  And before you say you don't hear Art Rock in him.. take a look at how art rock is defined here and some of the groups and tell me there is a art rock 'sound'.   There isn't one.

Well you may be right in the art rock bit.. since GG has nothing to do with KC... but they are mainly progressive.... I'm not going to make rushed judgement on Bowie and say he's not progressive, but I haven't yet heard a single tune from him that resembles "prog"... perhaps some other songs will clear my mind.. but I might agree about him being maybe prog-related (at least in the meantime, based on opinions here mostly)

Try listening to Bowies, album Low and Heroes, thats pretty proggy, also I do believeve Station to Station is has proggy elements to that album. But his Ziggy Stardust-Aladdin Sane stuff is pure pop rock.

Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Try listening to Bowies, album Low and Heroes, thats pretty proggy, also I do believeve Station to Station is has proggy elements to that album. But his Ziggy Stardust-Aladdin Sane stuff is pure pop rock.

Yeah, perhaps I based my opinion on Ziggy, being a concept album and all.... I thought it was good pop rock but nothing more... maybe his other material are proggy... I'll find out
Jesus Gabriel
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 22:17
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by Dragon Phoenix Dragon Phoenix wrote:

Prog related. But apparently the powers that be already made up their mind that he will not be included.

Personally, I don't think he fits, even as prog related.

I don't remember any final decision to reject him ever being made though. Even if there was, such discussions seem to come around again, never say never...

Confused I'd like to think of this site as a democracy... I'll check out the add-new-band procedure.
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 22:29
I always thought of him as art rock.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 03:21
Quite clearly Art Rock and Prog-Related.

Progressive Rock is a sub genre of Art Rock - always has been, always will be.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 11:33
Ok, so now that Bowie is being considered, I'd keep my hopes up and wait for Prince to be here, you know, the Artist formerly Known as Prog.... And who knows, 3 years from now the aussie goddess will be here...WinkBig%20smile.........

Bowie, but not Decemberists? Well, Bowie's music was artsy, I give you that... But so are many other musical manifestations that just AREN"T prog. Prog = art, but art not always = prog.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 11:39
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by Dragon Phoenix Dragon Phoenix wrote:

Prog related. But apparently the powers that be already made up their mind that he will not be included.

Personally, I don't think he fits, even as prog related.

I don't remember any final decision to reject him ever being made though. Even if there was, such discussions seem to come around again, never say never...

Confused I'd like to think of this site as a democracy... I'll check out the add-new-band procedure.

No, it isn't a democracy, even if you'd like to think of it as one. Sorry.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 12:03
David Bowie was definitely influenced by psychedelia & prog, and his influence on many who came after him is incalculable.  Albums such as Ziggy Stardust (the work I'm most familiar with) may be concept albums, but not really prog, so I don't really buy the argument for his inclusion in the archives.

As for classifying him, well Bowie is simply Bowie.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123