Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVarious artists section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Various artists section
    Posted: October 04 2006 at 17:11
We are in the process of improving the Various Artists section. This will take a few days to complete, so please be patient meanwhile. You may notice that many of the cover illustrations are missing. These are being restored.

Reviews of these albums can continue to be submitted as normal. More details of the changes to follow.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:37
The changes to the Various Artists section have now been completed.

There are now three sections for Various Artists:
  • Label Samplers
  • Themes and Concepts
  • Tributes

Guidance on what albums go into each of these categories in contained on the main page for each of the sections.

Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 10:11
Good. Now, is there a chance that "Jesus Christ Superstar" be included in this section?  because it's clear that it may never make into through an Andrew Lloyd Weber pageWink.. (it shouldn't, either! I don't want to see Evita or Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat hereDead)
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 10:45
There have been some discussions about that album of course Bilek. Can't remember offhand what the result was.
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 10:54

you're fast, indeed!!! (apparently you're watching topics you posted like I doTongue)

here you go for "poll results" first: (far ahead "yes", though with little participation...)
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26299
(note that the last two posts are ours!!!)

and:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22283
where you yourself said "yes" for the inclusionWink..

think about it!
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 11:04
I've bumped the poll Bilek, let's see if we can get a bit more reaction.

I still support it.Wink
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 11:12
I happened to see it (you see, I'm watching the topicTongue) and replied you by the time you wrote this message!

thanx for your efforts, I really like the album, and want other progheads to be aware of it (in case they're not already are!)

Edited by Bilek - October 11 2006 at 11:12
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 16:35
First:

The change to various section is great, well done.

regarding Jesus Christ Superstars.

I don't think it really fits, it's a musical, and a soundtrack, though it is pop-rock with classical music so had it been done by a pog band, or even a pop band, I could see it easily included, but I think it will set a presedent in which even Opera's, classical pieces, movie and musical soundtracks.

How about:

Other Webber pieces (Evita, Cats, whatever more)
Phil Colins (Tarzan soundtrack)
Elton John (Road To Eldorado, Aïda, Lion King)
Freddie Mercury (Barcelona, I never asked for his inclusion, but I think this album should put him in BTW, also Mr Bad Guy has some progressive tracks)
The Who, (Tommy, Quadraphonia)
Pink Floyd (The Wall, just kiddig, pure pop of course)

Maybe within the concept of themes and Concepts it will fit, but than it needs to be carefully monitored for what albums are included, and what the precise reason for inclusion is.

bets part about is, the possibility to add one off progressive albums by non-prog bands, that aren't really meant as a bands album (Peter Gabriel's Ovo comes to mind, it's included naturally under his name, but similar projects from non-prog dudes might fit)

anyway, some of my thoughts at the moment.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 17:14
It is different Tux. It was not written as a soundtrack, it was intended as  Rock Opera. The version being proposed was not from a film or a stage show, they came some years later.

It compares more with albums such as "War of the worlds".

Let's take the discussion to the specific thread about it in the suggest bands and albums section.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 17:54
No I want the discussion here, for it's not JCS I'm worried about, I don't care it's prog enough on it's own account.

But it will influence the scope of the various artist section.

and that's what i want to express.

If an album like Jesus C S. is added as a sole album, without being linked to Webber & Rice, it will open the flood gates to add more rock opera's like Tommy, and possible may lead to a deletion of Jeff Wayne as an artist, for it's album is better placed in this section.

if however Webber and Rice is added so will Evita and all other rock opera's be added, how about West End Story.

but this is a progressive rock site, not a musical cq rock-opera site.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 02:44

I also thought it belonged to Webber and Rice as artists, but Bob pointed to the fact that they had been composers, so Various Artists would be their place (obviously, because neither Evita, nor Joseph's Technicolor Dream Coat fits in here, I didn't hear Cats yet...). Check Bob's post here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26299

Jeff Wayne may not be deleted as an artist, because both of the albums (even their special editions etc.) are credited to his name, besides, he actually plays in them apart from being the composer.

The names you mentioned, tuxon, have little to do with "rock" than "opera" (though West Side Story obviously is a great source for many rockers and proggers, think of Alice Cooper's School's Out album and Yes' Something's Coming cover!), they're merely stage musicals. So, their inclusion is not something to be considered, at all...

Nevertheless, I don't have any problems with "proper" rock operas, of which I can name only JCS, War of the Worlds, Spartacus, Tommy, Quadrophenia (all of which are already mentioned), and Savatage's Streets. I wouldn't have any problem all these albums to be included, besides, it would be good if we had a "Rock Opera" section, because it's a genre closely related with prog, all but three of the albums I mentioned are already in the archives! (and many would go for those three's inclusion) Since the only one recorded by "various artists" is Jesus, that would be the one considered for VA section.

Lastly, let's not forget one particular actor's contribution to the opera, acting as protagonist in the studio release, one of the best voices in Heavy prog: Ian Gillan...

Post Reply Post Reply