Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'That was amazing...'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 03:50
Well, Atavachron, I may not complain but I am jealous about those who have visited early ELP and early Genesis concerts like the Brain Salad Surgery tour and the Foxtrot tour ...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 04:01
No doubt-- I use to wish I had seen Hendrix and Zeppelin...now I'd trade all that to see *any* Genesis through Lamb, Bruford in '78, Colosseum II '76, Happy the Man any time in the 70s...ah, what a glorious time.
sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 04:15
I saw this year a concert from the tour "Zappa plays Zappa". I never belived it could have been so great.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 05:31
In 1979 I saw Led Zep during their In Through The Outdoor tour, it was so loud that I couldn't hear for two days Unhappy
By the way, last year there was a similar thread in which a proghead mentioned his concerts, he had seen all great progrock bands in the early Seventies, for example Genesis 74, Genesis 76 and 77, ELP 74 and 77 ... Cry

Edited by erik neuteboom - October 16 2006 at 05:32
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 09:26
Genesis in '77 at SMU's Moody Colusseum.  They made the worst-sounding venue in the Southwest sound like Kennedy Center and they were magnificent.  I had seen Yes 3 times at that point but Phil's amazing energy and the room-filling light show beat everything I had seen to that point.  They blew everyone away.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 17:54
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Genesis in '77 at SMU's Moody Colusseum.  They made the
worst-sounding venue in the Southwest sound like Kennedy Center and
they were magnificent.  I had seen Yes 3 times at that point but
Phil's amazing energy and the room-filling light show beat everything I
had seen to that point.  They blew everyone away.

I can see how they would have, perhaps the classiest of the old prog bands.

erik-- unfortunately, Zep's '79 tour was not one of their best (though I admire that you were there); The overall sound was muddy and too big, Page had begun to suffer from various problems and Robert Plant had blown his voice out. It was also the tour in which Plant tragically lost his son to a virus...not a good year.   

Edited by Atavachron - October 16 2006 at 17:55
Pseudonym View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:15

I have experienced Kuri proge once. it is a small concert in small village called Kuri on an island Hiiumaa, Estonia.

beautiful nature, friendly people and very good atmosphere. local estonian, latvian etc. bands get a chance to perform and for the prog fans it was excellent opportunity to listen smth totally new from fusion to folk prog.

so the amazing bit was the whole experience going to Kuri, camping, listening music, meeting new people etc. 
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:33
Originally posted by zbida zbida wrote:

31th October - Pendragon in Katowice (nearby), making DVD... [IMG]height=17 alt=Hug src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley31.gif" width=45 align=absMiddle>

I saw this show in UK on Saturday night.......AMAZING!!! I first saw the Pendies in 1986 and it was fabulous to see Rik Carter, John Barnfield, Julian Baker and Nigel Harris back on stage with the guys again, a really moving and special experience!

I am jealous about riverside though Zbida, I have wanted to see these guys for a while.....I will do one day!!!!
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:42
I saw Pink Floyd on two seperate nights at Earls Court in 1994.  They were brilliant on both nights and I'm really glad that I got to see them.  Thumbs Up

I also saw Camel at the London Astoria on their final tour.  They finished with "Never Let Go" which was quite emotional.

I've seen Caravan a few times and they rarely disappoint.  I hope that they play again sometime soon but Richard Coughlan the drummer is not well and it's looking unlikely that they'll gig in the near future.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:44
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

I also saw Camel at the London Astoria on their final tour.  They finished with "Never Let Go" which was quite emotional.

I was at that gig!!! FABULOUS STUFF!!!!

N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:48
I saw Hawkwind at the Wulfrun Hall in Wolverhampton on Sunday, I managed to stand front row centre so I was literally blown away by the sheer volume they played at. LOL

Seriously though that was the best gig I've ever been to, not that I've been to many
as I'd only seen Whole Lotta Led (twice), Jools Holland (twice), Madness and Wishbone Ash live up to then. Embarrassed
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 06:54
If you like live music and prefer a more personal gig (i.e. smaller venues where you can actually see the band play) the The Hamsters are well worth seeing.  www.thehamsters.co.uk

They play a mixture of Blues Rock with original material and Hendrix and ZZTop stuff as well.  The lead guitarist is superb.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 07:02
Barclay James Harvest - last night, loved 'um
Keith Emerson - June this year, superb show
Gong/hawkwind - double bill, Nottingham about 4 years ago, fabulous show
VdGG - 6 shows I saw last year, Milan show in June the highlight
Man - seen many times and they are always superb
ELP - albert hall in 93
Atomic Rooster - 1981, stood right in front of Vincent Crane, magic show 
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
jalas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:23
I've been fortunate enough, living in South Florida, to see Yes, The Flower Kings, Al di Meola, Ynqwie Malmsteen and a few other good shows.

The ones that really stood out, the ones that puts tears in my eyes from happiness were Satana, The Clark-Duke project, Jean-Luc Ponty, The Dixie Dreggs, and especially Dream Theater.

The Yes show that I saw could have been better if I wasn't so far away from the stage and if that guy behind me had stopped yelling "Close to the Edge"!!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 21:34
Saw Yes 'in the round' with original members (except Steve Howe, and White instead of Bruford) on the rotating stage back in the late 80s-- spectacular!

Edited by Atavachron - November 02 2006 at 21:36
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 22:19
I saw Yes in the "Going for the One" tour (1977) in Ahoy - Rotterdam and it was amazing.
But I want to nominate a 2006 concert...I went to ProgPower Europe just a few weeks ago an it was amazing...not the quality of Yes in those old days but I had such a good time, the contact with the musicians (I talked with a lot of them) and the atmosphere...really great. Riverside = Thumbs UpThumbs Up
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 22:21
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

I saw Yes in the "Going for the One" tour (1977) in Ahoy - Rotterdam and it was amazing.
But I want to nominate a 2006 concert...I went to ProgPower Europe just a few weeks ago an it was amazing...not the quality of Yes in those old days but I had such a good time, the contact with the musicians (I talked with a lot of them) and the atmosphere...really great. Riverside = [IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>[IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>

I hope to go to one of them things someday.

Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 22:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

But I want to nominate a 2006 concert...I went to ProgPower Europe just a few weeks ago an it was amazing...not the quality of Yes in those old days but I had such a good time, the contact with the musicians (I talked with a lot of them) and the atmosphere...really great. Riverside = [IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>[IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>

I hope to go to one of them things someday.

LOL Well, if you're fast, you could still go to pROCKfest in Bunde, Germany at 10/11 November...Riverside will perform together with The Flower Kings! and Abarax on 10 November and Pendragon / The Watch / Flamborough Head perform 11/11. I'll go there both days..... 
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12