Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe wilderness years of Iron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you appreciate and enjoy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [14.29%]
3 [42.86%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The wilderness years of Iron Maiden
    Posted: October 20 2006 at 15:11
    Iron Maiden has got a lot of heat for these releases; frankly i don't understand this criticism because IM has never disappointed me but maybe i'm less pretentios than others. i know that this topic has been previously dealt with but nevertheless I'd like to see an explanation for your choices and opinions.

If this is a bad idea for a poll, don't bother to answer. Otherwise.....Big smileWink
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 16:12
"Fear Of The Dark" is one of my favourite Maiden albums.

"No Prayer for the Dying" has its moments.
I listened to "The X Factor" only once, it was enough for me to decide that I don't need Maiden without Bruce.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 17:47
I'd have said 'Fear Of The Dark' was by far the best. The first half of the album is actually fine, but the second half tails off a bit imo. Still, it's the best of this bunch to me.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 18:37
Fear of the dark is probably the strongest. I like the songs "Afraid to shoot strangers" and "Fear of the dark"
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 11:04
I'd say No Prayer for the Dying.  I mean, apart from Holy Smoke and Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, there are many great songs here.  Tailgunner, the title track, and two amazing but overlooked tracks, Fates Warning and Public Enema #1, Mother Russia, The Assassin and Hooks In You (the last song penned by Adrian Smith before his departure).  Only problem I have with this album is Bruce's growl.

Fear of the Dark is a close, very close second, and earns that position because of songs like From Here to Eternity, The Apparition, Chains of Misery and Weekend Warrior, all of which I find way below par.  Many great songs, but many filler songs too.

The Blaze era has to be Maiden's worst period, even though I recently repurchased X-Factor out of curiosity (I had previously bought it, upon it's release, and could'nt get into it and sold it) and think that, musically, it is really strong... But how could Harris and company accept what Bayley delivered ?  I mean, he was flat so often !  Never mind Dickinson before him, Bayley was bad (for Iron Maiden).  Flat (or sharp) repetitive and unimaginative.

Virtual XI has the same problem (Bayley) but again, musically, it is a good album.  I enjoy tracks like Futureal, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide and Como Estais Amigo.  The Harris epics, on this album, don't work.  The Angel and the Gambler, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger and The Educated Fool would have worked better as short songs, but they are long, boring and too repetitive.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply