Topic ClosedHatfield and the North, new compilation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hatfield and the North, new compilation
    Posted: November 13 2006 at 12:30

I got this in the mail the other day:

We are pleased to announce the release of Hattitude, the second volume of archive recordings by 1970s experimental UK rock legends Hatfield and the North. The CD archive series was given extra momentum by the discovery of a large collection of previously unheard live tapes, the highlights of which have been personally compiled by the Hatfield musicians. As on the highly popular Hatwise Choice (released in January 2005), the recordings are a mixture of live and studio tracks (including extracts from the band's radio sessions) and feature some hitherto unrecorded compositions.

Perhaps the best-loved of the so-called 'Canterbury' bands, Hatfield's music was a unique blend of its four members' ideas and compositions. Hattitude reflects this rich diversity, combining the dreamy lyrical songs of Richard Sinclair, Phil Miller's intricate jazz-tinged melodies, Dave Stewart's complex instrumentals and the free-flowing compositions of Pip Pyle, which include a touching autobiographical song. The written passages are punctuated with extended improvisations in which the band cut loose in a way they never quite managed to do on their 1970s studio albums.

Hattitude gives a rare insight into the band's live performances at a time of rapid musical development, charting their evolution from early gigs (including a notable concert recorded in the swirly psychedelic acoustics of Amsterdam's Paradiso club) through to the more sophisticated arrangements of 1975. En route there are moments of surreal humour and instrumental virtuosity, coupled with instances of sheer sonic savagery which reveal the extent of the madness in Hatfield's method. Virtually all the material is from first generation audio sources which have been digitally restored, ensuring good sound quality throughout.

The CD comes in a full colour Digipak with a 20-page booklet containing archive photos and period artwork. The band history initiated in Hatwise Choice continues with the four musicians recounting behind-the-scenes events, road stories, musical reflections and descriptions of recording their debut album in Oxfordshire's Manor Studios. These personal memoirs provide a detailed chronicle of the events of 1973, a 'year in the life' of a young, talented and exciting British band.

Sadly, the CD follows the recent untimely death of the band's drummer and founder member Pip Pyle, who died in Paris on August 28th 2006. Keyboardist Dave Stewart says: "We are devastated by losing Pip - he was our dear friend, a brilliant drummer and an immensely creative lifelong colleague who I regarded as the driving force of Hatfield. He did a great job compiling the material for our archive CD's and was very keen that we should continue the series, so we are dedicating Hattitude (which contains moments of Pip at his best) to him. The music scene will be a duller place without Pip, but his memory and music will live on."

Hattitude is performed by the classic Hatfield line-up of Phil Miller (guitar), Pip Pyle (drums), Richard Sinclair (bass / vocals) and Dave Stewart (keyboards / tone generators).

The CD ships on December 6th 2006 and can be ordered now from Burning Shed's online CD store at www.burningshed.com.

Hatwise Choice was my favourite album for 2005 and I really look forward to this new release.
Agemo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 13:42
Can't wait to listen to this cd !!
Dona Nobis Pacem
flutterby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 13:02
Has anyone heard it yet?
Couldn't find any comments/reviews or other topics about this new release anywhere.
Hopefully I should receive my copy tomorrow.
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 14:57
Sounds interesting, anybody got it yet? What are the live tracks on it?
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
flutterby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 13:37

I only received the CD yesterday and so far I've played it 3 times.                       Like Hatwise Choice, this CD is an awe-inspiring collection of live tracks. This band was definetly at their best in a live dimension.  The tracks sound so different from the studio version, new arrangements and new bits here and there with interesting link sections between the tracks. The editing of the live material was done beautifully using the cut and paste method thus reflecting the philosophy of this band. Unusual endless creativity throughout. To listen to music like this and performed in such way, for the first time today after all these years really is like a miracle. I'm aware that this is an archival release but still, I was only allowed to listen to it now and IMO there's no new releases that can be compared with this one in 2006  and like Hatwise Choice was last year, this is going to be in my top 10 list.

My conclusion: essential
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 13:40
Sounds good. Must check this out.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 16:14
I plan to get this.  I have a signed copy (well, by Richard Sinclair) of Hatwise Choice, so this release sounds great.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 06:54
Bumped this up to see if there were any more reviews...anyone?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 07:19
Any Hatfield archives stuff is interesting news. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply