FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Pelican" - San Antonio - October 2005

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Pelican" - San Antonio - October 2005
    Posted: November 28 2006 at 16:19
I have always wanted to express the live aspect of this band, which is perhaps the most endearing quality about them that I am unable to (but still try to) express in my reviews. This was my first hearing of the band and inspired me to learn more about them.

Originally I was going to see Opeth that night, vaguely aware of the preceding acts before their late stage arrival. First came a rather terrible band who I do not even remember the name of, they played mostly straight up hard rock and it seemed the only reason that probably anyone went to see them is that they had a girl bassist. Anyways enough digressing.

Pelican came on stage looking like one of the most awkward 4 members in any band. The 2 brothers, the bassist and drummer, were actually fairly normal guys in their mid 20's who took center stage. How they had cherry picked the two guitarists I have no idea, as they did not at all fit in with the image of the brothers. One had long blonde hair but looked like he was about 16 and was thin as a rail. The other was a stocky guy who didn't look much older, but appeared as if he had just won the Science Fair. They assembled on stage and wasn't sure if I would be laughing through this part of the set or if it was the techies.

Well, they started playing, I believe it was Night End Day, though I'm not entirely sure of the set list they played, being completely oblivious to there catalogue. I was quite suprised by the cohesion of the band members, although maybe I shouldn't have been too shocked as the brothers would have infinite time to play with one another and as we know, the foundation to any good band is coordination between the bassist and drummer.

The music was powerful and moving. I was swept into a tidal wave and barrage of metal riffs that werent metal riffs and heaviness that didn't rehash on samey metal sounds. It was as if the music was unadulterated energy of collosal magnitude. The "Science Fair" guitarist was in an almost sleep like state, and would remain that way throughout the whole set except when telling the audience the next song. What made this interesting was the polar opposite of the "blonde" guitarist. This was especially true during the build up in Angel Tears, which for at least 5 minutes, was easily my greatest concert experience ever. The blonde guitarist was gyrating about uncontrollably, like an animal trying to scare away a competitor for food. I thought at any minute he would be thrown from the stage as it was unlike any *headbanging,etc.* I had ever seen, as if one was free with the music and free from his instrument.

That feeling you get when a great piece of music is handed to you, the goosebumps all over you and the tingle on the back of your neck, I felt for a good portion of during Angel Tears. It was mindblowing, and I wondered how had no one heard of this band before, how could it be a band with such an "ocean of sound" could simply be ignored by the music industry.

At the end of their session, I couldn't help but NOT want to see Opeth. I had seen Opeth before, I wanted more of Pelican. I would have rather heard the rest of their catalogue than hear Leper Affinity for the 10 millionth time, but to no avail, they had no encore.

At the end I had to find out more about Pelican, so I did what any guy with free time does, I got everything they ever produced, and enriched myself in their sound. I must also say that at this point I was a bit dissatisfied. The sound on the record was great, but it did not reach anywhere near the sonic effects I felt at the concert, such is the case with mediums in sound.

Pelican live is an amazing expereicne and a real treat. If you are lucky enough to have them play in your area, please do go, especially if you are one of the younger members here and can tolerate loudness. I promise that you won't be dissapointed, the band gives a wonderful effort and they are still very professional about their work.

Regards,

Joey - OG

Edited by OpethGuitarist - November 28 2006 at 16:21
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 17:46
Pelican is indeed great live,  thanks for sharing your experience!

I saw them twice back in may and june of this year.  The first time was with Mono, the second was with Russian Circles.  I consider myself really lucky for having seen all of these bands live.  Honestly, the night Pelican and Mono played was the best concert I've ever seen.  In fact, Mono was even better than Pelican.  They are easily the most insane thing i have ever heard and seen. 
my review for that shows is here http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23301
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 18:14
Thanks GS, I'll look into them.

Regards,

Joey - OG
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 19:08
Does any of these post-rock/post-metal/sludge bands ever play outside the USA? Like Europe for instance? I'd love to see these people play, but it seems it's just not something I can hope will happen soon, is it?  
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 07:31
Isis is currently touring Europe I think...  other than that, i'm not sure.  
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 18:37
Oh how I envy all of you americans and europeans. It's hard if not impossible for bands like Pelican, Mono ect. to tour to Puerto Rico and I don't blame them. There aren't that many people out there who likes this kind of music.

bu I can still dream of it... Cry

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 15:32
Sounds very nice Joey.I am a huge Pelican and post metal fan and missed Pelican on their leg of the Opeth tour(Nevermore opened for them when I saw them in Philly,not that I am complaining though).

OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 15:23
I saw Nevermore and DT that summer in the Megadeth tour

Nevermore put on a good show
Hatters View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 06:40
I think I will go see them on the 18th of April this year at the Cockpit in Leeds based on this review.
 Post Reply Post Reply