Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTarkovsky

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What is your favourite of his films?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [33.33%]
3 [50.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarkovsky
    Posted: December 22 2006 at 11:51
Tarkovsky is probably my all-time favourite film director and I was glad to find that the PA has many fans of his, so i made this for a little elucidation. Appreciation post are also welcome.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:14
Another poll I can't vote in. Every film of his is a Masterpiece and there are no two films similar to each other. At one stage in my life Nostalgia was seemingly close to me personally, but then Sacrifice blew me away with it's overwhelming idea. Solaris probably is most easily accessible but then again apart from sci-fi surroundings it invokes deep thinking process about human nature and hidden desires. Zerkalo could make me cry while hearing beautiful poetry by Andrey's father Arseniy. "Rublyev" shows completely different perception of an artist's soul and of Mongolian invasion itself. Ivanovo detstvo is deeply touching, and Stalker - I could not get enough of this movie at one stage - sheer brilliance.

I mean, we are talking works of Genius here, how can one choose.

carefulwiththataxe
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:18
Excellent poll, andu!Thumbs Up

He is one of my favourite film directors too. Also, although I'm not sure he was a cameraman physically, himself, he definitely had an influence on how the pictures in his films look, and this is one of the most important components of his greatness, in my opinion. For those familiar, just remember the river flow at the beginning of Solaris, or the long motorway in the same film, or the appearance of the black dog in Stalker...

As much as I like Andrey Rublyov and Stalker, I have to give my vote for Solaris, which, after about ten times, still doesn't leave me indifferent to it!!!
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Another poll I can't vote in. Every film of his is a Masterpiece and there are no two films similar to each other. At one stage in my life Nostalgia was seemingly close to me personally, but then Sacrifice blew me away with it's overwhelming idea. Solaris probably is most easily accessible but then again apart from sci-fi surroundings it invokes deep thinking process about human nature and hidden desires. Zerkalo could make me cry while hearing beautiful poetry by Andrey's father Arseniy. "Rublyev" shows completely different perception of an artist's soul and of Mongolian invasion itself. Ivanovo detstvo is deeply touching, and Stalker - I could not get enough of this movie at one stage - sheer brilliance.

I mean, we are talking works of Genius here, how can one choose.

great point.
i'll vote for the film that has had the deepest personal impact on me and at the same time left me with the impression it was at his greatest level of achievement regarding the art of filmmaking - RUBLYOV. but this is just to justify a purely personal option, not to propose a measuring system. indeed, genius is irreducible.

Edited by andu - December 22 2006 at 12:27
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:20
Another GREAT director of all-time... The first time that I saw a Tarkovski movie I was beaten by his powerful images and their unique talent to use the camera... Really amazing... Well, my vote goes for Andrei Rublyov one of the greatest movies of all-time even when I really love all their movies...

BTW recently I bought Sacrifice on DVD... Awsome movie...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
ResidentAlien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:22
Can't vote as I've only seen Solaris which, coincidently enough, I was just discussing with a friend.  It's an excellent film though.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:54
I voted for Solaris, though I like Andrey Rublyov almost equally.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 21:04
Sadly, I haven't seen anything but Stalker. I was a bit overdosed by the solid architecture of that movie. I'm trying to catch with his other works, but I'm into a Fellini phase right now, being my fav director, I'm reaching for the films that I haven't seen yet. There is too much of everything, and too little life.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Publius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 08:00
Only seen Solyaris, but I love it. Tarkovsky rules. I'd like to see Mirror and Stalker
I'm so prog, I clap in 9/8
 Post Reply Post Reply