Topic ClosedMembers of Kansas announce new project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members of Kansas announce new project
    Posted: February 23 2007 at 22:22
No this is not a new Kansas CD as Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren are not involved but I think this might be kinda cool.  4 members of the traveling band have decided to make a new CD under the name Native Window.   The 4 members are Richard Williams, Phil Erhart, Billy Greer and David Ragsdale.  So far the music has been acoustic but they are still in the designing stages.   They hope to have it recorded this summer.   They will open some shows for Kansas this year.

Read more about it here:

WWW.KansasBand,Com and click on Recent News.

At the same time Livgren and Proto-kaw are recording a new CD.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
andympick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 23:01
I would love to hear some new material that would be based on the "Song For America" and "Audiovision". That's when they were at their peak. Anything after that I just can't swallow. Even the solo projects, while they have occasionally bright moments, are not what I would expect from such talented guys. Will I hear one day an album that will return them to the phenomenal stuff they used to play?

Edited by andympick - February 23 2007 at 23:03
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 00:03
David Ragsdale is very talented he has lots to offer  and of course so do the others  ! 
This isn`t going be a Kansas recording which means they will be trying out new ideas under a different slogan  ...  brilliant idea  a great way to elude those dust in the wind type fans and maybe please the prog rockers out there !   
Greer actually has a very decent voice  so I`m sure the vocals won`t be a problem
This is excellent news  ... thanks for sharing it its made my day ! Big%20smile     

Edited by Masque - February 24 2007 at 00:09
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 11:10
This sounds great and I agree with everything that has been posted here.  I wonder if they might go the Cinema/90125 route here and wind up inviting Walsh to sing after all, making this a Kansas recording?  Just wondering...
Terry
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 14:24
^ I have heard Steve was not interested in the material they were doing based on samples he heard but who knows?  Actually I think the vocals will be better with Billy now.   Steve's basic position is he is done writing new Kansas material so don't look for any contributions from him except vocals and keyboards.  He is presently working on some songs for his 4th solo release.  Along with that Proto-Kaw is working on their 4th album and with this we have a full gambit of Kansas related material.

Masque I am not sure if this will progressive rock or something else.  Have to wait to hear some samples.  I am sure there will be a Kansas stamp on it.

Andympick You didn't like Somewhere to Elsewhere or the Proto-Kaw Cd's?  I think those represent some fine moments of Kansas past and present.

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Andympick You didn't like Somewhere to Elsewhere or the Proto-Kaw Cd's?  I think those represent some fine moments of Kansas past and present.

Can I get an Amen! from the congregation?Clap
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 22:02
It's interesting how most of the essential, and classic, prog groups are dead but Kansas lives on through various projects. Their touring, Proto-Kaw and now this.
andympick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 22:38
Garion81 I am sorry but I never knew that Proto-Kaw had anything to do with Kansas lineup. Never heard it. Shame on me. I have essentially everything Kansas recorded as the original band, even the puke albums to please recording companies. I will definitely check into Proto-Kaw. Nevertheless, any solo project I had chance to hear from SW never really excited me - I miss the clarity and purity of Kansas earlier music. It all seemed to be just right - suspense, energy, melodies, great, balanced sound and Steve just had this godly voice. I don't want them to make copies of their earlier stuff - I would have to be foolish; however, on other projects, except those I have not heard, they just seemed to venture into areas in which I think they were not as comfortable - either it was the wrong chemistry with other musicians (however good they are) or uncharacteristic deforming of sound - the balance is just somehow missing, although great moments are present at times.
Sometimes the earlier material many bands recorded was just so good that it can never be upstaged. Altough I admire all members of Kansas for their longevity, I will rather spin the earlier stuff over the later projects. But Kansas is not an exception. I will keep buying their releases in hope I will come across the record that will merge the past greatness with today's technological possibilities.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 00:38
Originally posted by andympick andympick wrote:

Garion81 I am sorry but I never knew that Proto-Kaw had anything to do with Kansas lineup. Never heard it. Shame on me. I have essentially everything Kansas recorded as the original band, even the puke albums to please recording companies. I will definitely check into Proto-Kaw. Nevertheless, any solo project I had chance to hear from SW never really excited me - I miss the clarity and purity of Kansas earlier music. It all seemed to be just right - suspense, energy, melodies, great, balanced sound and Steve just had this godly voice. I don't want them to make copies of their earlier stuff - I would have to be foolish; however, on other projects, except those I have not heard, they just seemed to venture into areas in which I think they were not as comfortable - either it was the wrong chemistry with other musicians (however good they are) or uncharacteristic deforming of sound - the balance is just somehow missing, although great moments are present at times.
Sometimes the earlier material many bands recorded was just so good that it can never be upstaged. Altough I admire all members of Kansas for their longevity, I will rather spin the earlier stuff over the later projects. But Kansas is not an exception. I will keep buying their releases in hope I will come across the record that will merge the past greatness with today's technological possibilities.

Proto (Early Type) -Kaw (Native American Word for the rgion known as Kansas)= Early Kansas.  Another words it is Kansas II the band Kerry Livgren quit to join White Clover which became the Kansas we know and love.  Many songs Kerry wrote for that band were recorded in the early years of K-3 such as Incomudro and Belxeis.  They have a jazzy feel to them using horns instead of violin but still very good.  Start with Before Became After then try Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-73 and then their newest The Wait of Glory.  Smile

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 17:34
You know it doesn`t matter to me if it isn`t progressive rock ... because anything that Phil Ehart drums to I must own on CD !    Thumbs%20Up 

Edited by Masque - February 25 2007 at 17:36
pogoowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 22:34
I would definitely expect this to have a more straight-ahead rock sound, judging by Greer's non-Kansas work, as well as the contributions made by the other members toward Kansas material in the past.
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 12:15
^Yeah but Ragsdale has composed more ambitious material before Check out his solo album David and Goliath just recently re-released and his work with Salem Hill, Cryptic Vision and others. So there be a mix of things.

Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 01:33
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

^Yeah but Ragsdale has composed more ambitious material before Check out his solo album David and Goliath just recently re-released and his work with Salem Hill, Cryptic Vision and others. So there be a mix of things.

I own Both studio Cryptic Vision CD`s   I think they are very good,  Salem Hill are great I have all their works  !   I have never actually  heard David vs Goliath but I`m aware of it ... is it good ?   Shocked

Edited by Masque - February 27 2007 at 01:35
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:29
^ It is.  I think based on your other tastes you have displayed here in the forums I think you would like it .  You can order it direct from him:

Post Reply Post Reply