FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFuneral Of The Sun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funeral Of The Sun
    Posted: April 03 2007 at 12:45
That was actually my band. This fall we've disbanded, and I'm going on as one-man-band project.

NAME - FUNERAL OF THE SUN

BIO - Founded in Sverdlovsk(Ukraine),in 2004, the band consisted from Igor (me ) - guitars, Keys, growling, programmed drums, all music and lyrics; Roman - bass and Dima - second guitar. When all material for our debut album ("The Enchanted Forests of Autumn") has been already written, the guys decided to quit. Partly because I was heading towards more Prog-oriented material (we played some kind of "Prog-Doom-Metal").

SOME DEMO SONGS -   RIVERS OF SILENCE

UNDER THE FOLIAGE
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 13:40
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 15:50
^ yep, but no feedback yet unfortunately. Will try again
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 15:52
I went to the link you mentioned in the thread Easy Livin mentioned. I like the songs so far. Are you going to try and get another band together or continue recording yourself or not record anymore stuff?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:12
Well, I had 2/3 of material READY for our second album. I'll try to record it on my own (as I did with "...Forests...") on my home PC and again upload some tracks from it to the Net. It's gonna be entitled "STILLBORN" consisting from 3-4 epics, more progressive and even post-rocky than "...Forests..." material (which I nevertheless adore).

What a cruel twist of fate - the second album got its name long before our split...

I would like to find some new musicians, since I recieve positive and numerous feedbacks on my music from Russian and foreign Doom-sites and communities. It would be great to have a REAL drummer, a bass-player and another guitar player. I'd also like some of them to growl instead of me to let me concentrate on my solos and keys

Btw, have you noticed the sampled mellotron? That's what I'm proud with!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:16
Didn't notice the mellotron. Too bad I don't live near by because I would like to play bass for a band - but alas I'm no good
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:25
He-he, I'd rather move to England to play Prog than play Doom in Ukarine!

erm...mellotron can be heard in instr.medley (somewhere in the middle) and "A Lullaby..." (the "quiet" hissing part contains some background viola-like mellotron sounds).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:28
Oh, it's quite unfair to mention these tracks without links on them

Here we go -

A LULLABY FOR THE STOLEN MOON

INSTR.MEDLEY - a medley of melodic and even "catchy" parts from the album (to sing in a bath )
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:28
I'll take a closer listen for the mellotron

Edited by progismylife - April 03 2007 at 16:28
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 22:16
nice heavy stuff, good progressions and chord/melody relationships.. and pretty progressive with a cool Sabbath influence running underneath. I didn't like the growling but I never do anyway. The recording is a touch muddy but in a good way and the keys sound good, too.

Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 22:24
Wow!
I like it... sounds a little like Neurosis. (a little)
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 16:10
Thanks guys
BTW, my further Doom-related material becomes more and more Post-Rocky Throw more PELICAN and already mentioned NEUROSIS to what you have already experienced...and I hope to record it on a better quality!

Considering keys - I'd like to limit their role and leave only the mighty Tron on backs and ocassional piano where its needed. A cello or violin would be a necessary addition too...
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 21:03
Doom-metal-prog, very interesting!  The songs are so mellow, I rarely hear the growling-voice used in music as laid-back as this.  It may just be because there's a whole sub-genre of music that I haven't heard much of, though.

The pulsing electric gutiars with other effects in 'Rivers of Silence' reminds me a lot of Type O-Negative, but the growling vocals and somewhat subdued drums create a harsh contrast with that comparison.  Altogether, it reminds me of what someone once said to me about Opeth - that they're about the beauty in the beast.  I'd almost say that this song does the opposite: finds the beast in the beauty.   The underlying structure of the song is rather gentle, and yet there are these loud, buzzing, harsh sounds over it.  Very inventive!

While the themes in 'Under the Foliage' are different, I find my reaction to the song is very similar.  This one does have a bit more power to it, but the harsh contrast is still there.

'A Lullaby For the Stolen Moon': This one is my favorite.  It starts off gorgeous, and I like the quiet singing behind the growling lead vocals.  The sudden change about 1/4 of the way through the song works well, especially once the double-bass pedal starts.  It gave it some much-needed energy to differentiate it from the other songs, and from the slow, soft beginning.  I like this general trend through the song to suddenly shift themes.  The organ-like effect added about 3/4 of the way through the song is quite effective, I think without it the song might have seemed too long.

I was very interested in the high-energy beginning of the medley!  This was a lot of fun to listen to. :)

Edited by StarsongAgeless - April 26 2007 at 21:04
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 02:42
Thanks again, StarsongAgeless !!!

On "hidden" vocals in "A Lullaby..." - you're the first one to notice them (and saying that out loud!!!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 04:35
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Thanks again, StarsongAgeless !!!

On "hidden" vocals in "A Lullaby..." - you're the first one to notice them (and saying that out loud!!!)

:) Hooray!

I think I'm so into editing-mode recently that I pick out all sorts of little things I wouldn't have noticed a year ago.  Not that I'm good at editing and mixing... I'm rotten at it!  But practice makes perfect, right?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 06:35
Originally posted by StarsongAgeless StarsongAgeless wrote:

But practice makes perfect, right?

We, the one-man bands, MUST practise in everything every moment

BTW, can you provide me with links on your songs as I can't listen to them on-line (low traffic speed )?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 23:46
Hi prog-jester,

I'd be happy to give you links, the problem is I don't know how to put up songs the same way you did.  Do I need to have some kind of webspace set up?

It's hilarious that I don' t know this stuff, because my job is actually writing computer code.  And yet I don't know how to put up my own song for people to listen to!

I'll do some research.  If you have some time to give me tips on how to do this, I'd appreciate it, as I can see you know how.  If not, hopefully I'll figure it out soon! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply