Topic ClosedColosseum - Hannover/Germany - 30/03/07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colosseum - Hannover/Germany - 30/03/07
    Posted: April 04 2007 at 15:27

I estimate between 900 and 1000 visitors could enjoy an excellent performance in Hannover.

What I had expected - the sound mixing was fine and not too loud. Very good atmosphere on the stage - the musicians had a lot of fun and gave their last drop of sweat.
Most of the spectators had seats (I couldn't spot many young people in the audience Cry) but afterwards the band left accompanied by standing ovations.

Before nearly every song Jon Hiseman stood up from his drum chair, came to the front and gave some relaxed comments and political statements.
Every musician of the band had an absolutely brilliant part. Of course Chris Farlowe (born 1940 Embarrassed) doesn't have the power and the range of the years before.
But he also made his job very good.
They are touring nearly with the same line-up from 1971 where they recorded 'Collosseum Live' and 1994/1995 during their reunion tour.
Only Dick Heckstall-Smith is missing who sadly died in 2004. He is substituted by Barbara Thompson with saxophon and clarinet. Clap

The band played some Jack Bruce songs, beginning with 'Rope Ladder To The Moon' followed by the Collosseum classics 'Walking In The Park', 'Stormy Monday'
and 'Lost Angeles'. The highlights of the evening were the Jon Hiseman drum solo and of course the 'Valentyne Suite' - a great mix of Symphonic, Jazz and Rock.
The band members are more than 60 years old and the big surprise is they perform the songs in a very new and fresh manner - never ever heard before in this way.

I recommend to check out where they are playing on their tour further on - you'll not be disappointed!

Edited by Rivertree - April 04 2007 at 15:36

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 15:54
Sounds like a fun event and great music being played. How long was it?
I love it when bands communicate with the crowd in events, like you described and don't remain distant.

Thanks for sharing, Uwe.

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 16:05
Yes, it was a great event - very enjoyable. I saw them 1995 on their reunion tour but this time it was even better Thumbs%20Up

They played for more than 2 hours ... Some songs have been very long because they were jamming a lot.

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 15:04
Some impressions ...

Edited by Rivertree - April 13 2007 at 15:06

mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 02:00
Thanks for the report and the pix . Over here in Aus. I'll just have to content myself with the 'Live in Cologne' DVD. Great to hear that they are still out there. I thought that with the sad passing of Dick Heckstall-Smith it might have just got too hard, but Barbara T is a worthy replacement. Why not keep it in the family?
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
 Post Reply Post Reply