FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRon Chesterman Dies, Early Strawbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ron Chesterman Dies, Early Strawbs
    Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:33

I am very sorry to have to announce that Ron Chesterman died at 11.15 on Friday 16 March 2007.

Originally a local government archivist, Ron came down to London to study for a degree. He joined the Strawberry Hill Boys in late 66/very early 1967, after Tony Hooper saw him playing in a pub in Chalk Farm (the Enterprise in Chalk Farm Road, just down the road from Tony's two flats on Haverstock Hill and Steeles Lane which inspired the song "Pieces of 79 and 15"). He travelled over to Copenhagen with Cousins, Hooper and Sandy Denny to make those early recordings - he still has a snapshot taken on the ferry. His excellent double bass playing is also featured on those tracks which make up Preserves Uncanned as well as the first two Strawbs albums released on A&M, Strawbs and Dragonfly. He left the band in early 1970, just after Rick Wakeman became a member, as Cousins and Hooper moved towards an electric line-up, recruiting John Ford and Richard Hudson on bass and percussion respectively.

After the Strawbs Ron worked with Noel Murphy and Shaggis (aka Davey Johnstone, later Elton John's electric guitar genius) as Draught Porridge and later on with various others. His favourite music was really jazz, and he played in many jazz line-ups too.

That taken from Strawbsweb...

I really love the first two albums..."Till the Sun Comes Shining Through" is one of my favorite Strawbs songs...Ron, you will be missed, enjoy the wonderful music and peace of where you now are...

Edited by The Lost Chord - April 15 2007 at 14:33
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:53
That's really sad news.

Coincidently, I was just writing reviews for "Strawbs" and "Dragonfly" this week. I had not listened to them for a while, and really enjoyed them again.

Ron's double bass work added real character to them.

RIP Ron.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 14:55
Sad news indeed

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 16:22
It was strange for me, too...even though he didnt appear on the album, I had woken up this morning and put on Grave New World full album just to hear the greatness...and I found the news while listening to it.

"The old grey man with his heavy load no longer needs a friend..."
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 06:11
Sad news for sure. the Strawbs website delivered this sombre message on the 16th/17th March. Strange indeed reading the first Strawbs  album review today and seeing this obituary again. His contributions to The Strawbs are immortal however!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply