Topic ClosedSteve Wilson - unplugged, London 16th April

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Wilson - unplugged, London 16th April
    Posted: April 17 2007 at 03:26
Don't really know if this can be construed as a review, but Vicky and I (along with about 100 other lucky ones) attended Steve Wilson's launch of 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' yesterday evening at Camden Town, London.

The launch took the form of a short 'unplugged' set by Steve Wilson and John Wesley; SW joked at the beginning that he'd agreed to do the unplugged set, then listened to the album again & realised very little was suited to the format "but we'll do our best" - SW then went on to apologise in advance for his poor piano skills, saying "If I'm looking down all the time, I'm not shy, I'm just a crap pianist...".

With SW & JW sharing acoustic guitar & piano duties, they opened with 'Fear Of A Blank Planet', segueing this into 'My Ashes' (a completely fluffed piano chord prompting laughter from the audience & "I told you so" from SW) & then (for me) the highlight of the short set, the enotionally charged "Sentimental".

These were the only three SW said were playable in that format (and listening to the - signed, thanks Steve/John - album later in the car, I can well understand this), so he played one more song - here I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with some of Porcupine Tree's later albums, so I couldn't identify the song by name, but it was fab ...

Steve Wilson has had a reputation in the past as being stand-offish and somewhat aloof, but on last night's evidence, both during the short set & the meet & greet/signing session afterward, he came across as a friendly & very funny guy (and one whose eye's lit up when Vicky mentioned PA "Oh - I really like progarchives, it's a great site"), and if the brief listening of 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' I've had so far is anything to go by, we have a serious contender for album of the year.

Edited by Jim Garten - April 28 2007 at 11:56

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 03:29
^^^

thats wonderful Jim, thanks for sharing

in my interview with him he was also very candid and seemed far from being an unfriendly character, he was extremely personable and added many details that I certainly wasn't expecting
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 03:38
cool !!!!!!Thumbs%20Up
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 05:47
I think the way that Steve has contributed to some discussion on the site shows that he totally lacks the pretentions that seem to accompany many "serious" rock musicians. Considering the bumpy ride he was given I am amazed that he gives us time of day - many a newbie would have left for good under that onslaught.

Respect.
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 09:59
It was a pretty cosy little gathering and he did seems genuinley pleased with the reception and the enthusiasm people had for the new album. The last track they played was a shortened version of Trains - minus guitar solo and banjo/handclaps workout. A pleasant way to spend an hour.
Looking forward to the Forum gig even more now....
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 12:39
Didn't know you were there... we should all wear ProgArchives hats in future to make sure members can recognise each other...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 12:48
Oh bad - I'm not wearing hats at all - so I cannot come to England Big%20smile

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Didn't know you were there... we should all wear ProgArchives hats in future to make sure members can recognise each other...

Hats! superb idea - conical ones with a big "P" on them instead of a D. Actually it might have been useful in covering up my baldy head. I felt pretty old standing in that queue and wondered briefly if I was having some kind of mid-life crisis: I think the last band I queued up for on release days was for U2's Joshua Tree at midnight on the day of release and that was 1987 I think. I texted my brother and told him. He replied with one simple word: "Tool." I told him "No, Porcupine Tree. But you're on the right path". Wink
Thanks Steven Wilson - you've singlehandledly turned me into an embarrassment to my whole family LOL
It was worth it though. Funny I was standing outside at the lock scanning the crowd to see if I could spot anybody who might be from ProgArchives. Is there a signal look to PA users? A glimmer of superior intellect in the eyes? A knowing look of cultural brilliance in the mien? Or maybe it's just the vapid Billy-No-Mates expression and faint haunted look as we venture into the light for the first time in years... LOL
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 14:06
I would think that anyone who would attend release day appearance would be a progger because, at least here in the states, hardly anyone else knows who SW is.  I would have loved to have been there just to tell him thanks for the great music and keep it coming.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Vicky Garten View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

Hats! superb idea - conical ones with a big "P" on them instead of a D. Actually it might have been useful in covering up my baldy head. I felt pretty old standing in that queue and wondered briefly if I was having some kind of mid-life crisis:
It was worth it though. Funny I was standing outside at the lock scanning the crowd to see if I could spot anybody who might be from ProgArchives. Is there a signal look to PA users? A glimmer of superior intellect in the eyes? A knowing look of cultural brilliance in the mien? Or maybe it's just the vapid Billy-No-Mates expression and faint haunted look as we venture into the light for the first time in years... LOL
you may have spotted me ! -short female with bright red hair & new rock boots !
Confusion will be my epitaph
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 07:54

Good idea Jim, should we go for a baseball cap or a Trouserpress-style bowler?

We found at our first Prog Curry night that carrying a copy of "Octopus" helps to identify fellow PA members! (or was it Nursery Cryme?).
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 07:57

Is there a signal look to PA users? A glimmer of superior intellect in the eyes? A knowing look of cultural brilliance in the mien? Or maybe it's just the vapid Billy-No-Mates expression and faint haunted look as we venture into the light for the first time in years... LOL

Or the sadness around the eyes, as we realise most people here have more hair on their faces, than we do on our heads, and the t-shirt you're wearing is older than most people in the queue

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 16:44
Originally posted by Vicky Garten Vicky Garten wrote:

Hats! superb idea - conical ones with a big "P" on them instead of a D. Actually it might have been useful in covering up my baldy head. I felt pretty old standing in that queue and wondered briefly if I was having some kind of mid-life crisis:
you may have spotted me ! -short female with bright red hair & new rock boots !

I didn't Vicky, sorry! But then I think I was just totally shellshocked by the fact that here, at a prog gig, there were actual, real, women. More than just one. Some of them even there voluntarily!
Wonders will never cease. Wink
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 16:47

Is there a signal look to PA users? A glimmer of superior intellect in the eyes? A knowing look of cultural brilliance in the mien? Or maybe it's just the vapid Billy-No-Mates expression and faint haunted look as we venture into the light for the first time in years... LOL

Or the sadness around the eyes, as we realise most people here have more hair on their faces, than we do on our heads, and the t-shirt you're wearing is older than most people in the queue

Hmmm yes, it is the jest of a cruel, unforgiving god that the hair on my head seems to have grown inwards but is curiously reappearing from my nostrils and ears.
I'm thinking of letting it grow and going for a radical combover....LOL

Edited by arcer - April 19 2007 at 16:47
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 03:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Good idea Jim, should we go for a baseball cap or a Trouserpress-style bowler?

We found at our first Prog Curry night that carrying a copy of "Octopus" helps to identify fellow PA members! (or was it Nursery Cryme?).

you lucky devils Jim an' Vicky!!Clap

i don't like hats - how about a Progarchives tour jacket - cooooool or wot???  Cool

Prog Archives Tour Van
Alibongo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 08:45
We should all have t-shirts with the prog-archives logo on and our user name on the back like a football shirt so we know who each other is!

Ali Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply