Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roger Waters: Live @ M.E.N. Arena: 7th May 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters: Live @ M.E.N. Arena: 7th May 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters: Live @ M.E.N. Arena: 7th May 2007
    Posted: May 09 2007 at 08:40
After over 6 months of waiting for May 7th this year, i couldn't believe that finally i was walking from the hotel in Manchester to the MEN Arena to go and see my hero perform.

The show was due to start at 7:30 'prompt', but the band finally(!) came on at 8pm. Everyone was standing and cheering as Roger was spotlighted and as he strode to the microphone.

As 'In the Flesh' began though, people were still trying to get to their seats from the bar (some carrying two drinks EACH!). This was the only real bad part of the show - that people kept getting up and going and coming back. But i digress.

SET ONE

In the Flesh blasted out across the arena, and then Roger went straight into Mother which was brilliantly sung by him and Katie Kisoon. Set the Controls was played quite well and Shine On You Crazy Diamond followed with a great chorus.

Then 'Have A Cigar' and 'Wish You Were Here' were played, (yes with the sudden volume cut in between!) These were both played very well. Have A Cigar's great riff was played tremendously by Andy Fairweather-Low.

Now Roger played two songs from The Final Cut, Southampton Dock and then the Fletcher Memorial Home which had a great video to it about an elderly people's home which housed political people who were very still and quiet.

Perfect Sense (Parts 1 and 2) followed and were brilliantly sung by Roger and PP Arnold who sounded much much better than she did on Amused to Death. After this Roger spoke to the audience, talking about the football season finishing and whathaveyou and then that the next song was a new song called 'Leaving Beirut'.

'Leaving Beirut' is a really great song and i hope it gets released on his new album. Except i did wonder however how well recieved that song would be recieved in America, because Roger does not mind airing his strong political views in this song, especially at Bush-bashing.

Following this was 'Sheep' from the Animals album. This was fantastically played by everyone and the pig was flying around the arena and everyone loved it.Big%20smile

SET TWO - The Dark Side of the Moon

Now this is what everyone was waiting for...Dark Side of the Moon. The Heartbeats bumped throughout the arena as everyone filed back to their sets and Breathe was played very well, with Roger singing well for a man of his age.

'On the Run' unfortunately was a little TOO loud, but nonetheless was 'performed' by Roger's son, Harry who bears quite a striking resemblance to his father.Cry

Time was absolutely fantastic, Graham Broad's drumming was second to none tonight and Time was performed no differently. Everyone was up and singing and having a great timeTongue

Great Gig in the Sky, i didn't think i would enjoy this as much as i did, Carol Kenyon copied Clare Torry's original studio performance and IMO Kenyon's was much better. Kenyon got a standing ovation at the end of Great Gig

Money was great - but not everyone was enjoying themselves as much as you might expect. (Perhaps now everyone is getting a bit fed up of the song)

Us & Them was amazing, the saxophonist was so good ALL night he was brilliant. This song was sung by Jon Carin, but didn't quite have the volume as David Gilmour sings it with.

Any Colour You Like was enriched by the prism that was spinning slowly round and blasting out bright multi-coloured lights across the audience. The prism then shone it's outline like a real prism and shone out the colours just like the album cover ready for the next song.

Brain Damage and then Eclipse were enjoyed by everyone, by now nearly everyone was up and really having a good time. Roger was having a great time and unfortunately the Dark Side came to an end.

ENCORE

The band came back on to raptuous applause and played 'Happiest Days of Our Lives', 'Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2', 'Vera/Bring the Boys Back Home', and one of the greatest moments of the night 'Comfortably Numb'.

The band was amazing, the crowd was loving every second of it, and to begin the Encore he said "Wow! You lot make me feel 20 years older!!". LOL

A great night enjoyed by all.Clap

Ali Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 09:49
I went to the Birmingham NEC show and thoroughly enjoyed it.Very professional gig and Rogs voice held up well. I did however think that 'Leaving Beriut' was awfull. Rogers political views are weird even by normal left wings standards. So 'we' (The West) are the new serial killers are we??!

BTW Do you (or anyone) know why ''Rush'' was written on one side of the inflatable pig?? That really puzzled me no end. 

I'll try and put a review up later. (back to boring work)
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I went to the Birmingham NEC show and thoroughly enjoyed it.Very professional gig and Rogs voice held up well. I did however think that 'Leaving Beriut' was awfull. Rogers political views are weird even by normal left wings standards. So 'we' (The West) are the new serial killers are we??!

BTW Do you (or anyone) know why ''Rush'' was written on one side of the inflatable pig?? That really puzzled me no end. 

He probably was referring to Rush Limbaugh, a highly annoying, witless, ignorant and arrogant, insulting, right wing radio talk show host in America.

Limbaugh's name belongs on the pig, it belongs in the pig, it belongs on whatever is coming out of the pig...

Edited by bluetailfly - May 13 2007 at 15:49
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 15:56
what was Dave Kilminster like? I thought his playing with Emerson over the past couple of years has been really good, but i'd be interested to know how he he'd get on in an arena setting?
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 15:59

Now that you've jogged my memory, the pig actually says "BUSH" not "RUSH." When I saw Waters a few months ago, the pig had "BUSH" written on it. Maybe a part of the "B" has gotten smudged a little. However, my earlier comments on Rush still stand and apply to "BUSH" as well   Smile
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 16:13
Can't wait to see him in Chicago
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

He probably was referring to Rush Limbaugh, a highly annoying, witless, ignorant and arrogant, insulting, right wing radio talk show host in America.

Limbaugh's name belongs on the pig, it belongs in the pig, it belongs on whatever is coming out of the pig...

So tell us BTF, where do you stand on the Rush Limbaugh issue? I really hate it when people sit on the fence... LOLClap

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 16:25
Thanks for the review Alibongo. I was going to catch the tour myself but for some inane reason I thought he was showcasing that horrible opera thing he did...Ca Ira(?) Embarrassed
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2007 at 16:29

I actually went to a Rush Limbaugh museum (his house and haunts etc...) in Missouri (the absolute worst state in the country and one of the most awful places in the world) and it was pretty much bull crap
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 12:31

Now that you've jogged my memory, the pig actually says "BUSH" not "RUSH." When I saw Waters a few months ago, the pig had "BUSH" written on it. Maybe a part of the "B" has gotten smudged a little. However, my earlier comments on Rush still stand and apply to "BUSH" as well   Smile

Looked very much like Rush to me. I stared at it for ages perplexed. I know Rush used to be a bit right wing but didn't think they deserved that treatmentLOL
Parish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 14:14
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/Parish104/PinkPigMSG.jpg

Clap

From our seats at Madison Square Garden 5/30/07
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 22:51
Originally posted by Atomic_Rooster Atomic_Rooster wrote:

in Missouri (the absolute worst state in the country and one of the most awful places in the world) and it was pretty much bull crap
I going to take a stab in the dark and say that you've never been to the slums of India, or China, or North Korea, or Cambodia, or Haiti, or Cuba, or Iraq, or Iran, or Africa. . .

Your kindness and civility are unparalleled.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - June 11 2007 at 23:03
 Post Reply Post Reply