Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNews from Nick Barrett (Pendragon)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 23:04
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Great to see the big guy turning in his 2 cents.

but anyone questioning The Window Of Life as being the best pendargon ever released should start listening again (E-dub listn again and again, but anyone should realise that Ghosts and Breaking The Spell and the other 4 songs are sheer magic).

(not saying the other albums ae any less great though).

anywoh. Love to see a next Pendie album, preferably with Clive Nolan at the key's, if any thought already excist of making it, I will gladly pay in advance for an assured quality product.

keep the creative juices flowing Nick, for I want to hear it (but make it beter than Believe, which I consider mildly dissapointing) love you even so.

I love The Window Of Life. Question: if you have the recently remastered version, do you hear static on yours? I do at the beginning and it's very noticeable.

E
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by Nick Barrett Nick Barrett wrote:

Why I don't come over a a good businessman on the programme is probably because I don't like greed...one little bit, or ripping off kids, or being mercenary, in my view a good businessman is someone who can judge a situation and act accordingly and fairly, it takes a lot more than, being mercenary, loudmouthed , hard on fellow human beings and lacking integrity, of course there are those that are...but I don't like them!

I already liked your music, but with this you've shown you understood what it's all about, it's about being honest to your fans, and that doesn't allow ripping them off, sometimes you have to give without taking or asking, loyalty will eventually bring in the hard earned and necessary pounds.love youHeart

When can we expect your next albumTongueClap
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 23:21
Star
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Great to see the big guy turning in his 2 cents.

but anyone questioning The Window Of Life as being the best pendargon ever released should start listening again (E-dub listn again and again, but anyone should realise that Ghosts and Breaking The Spell and the other 4 songs are sheer magic).

(not saying the other albums ae any less great though).

anywoh. Love to see a next Pendie album, preferably with Clive Nolan at the key's, if any thought already excist of making it, I will gladly pay in advance for an assured quality product.

keep the creative juices flowing Nick, for I want to hear it (but make it beter than Believe, which I consider mildly dissapointing) love you even so.

I love The Window Of Life. Question: if you have the recently remastered version, do you hear static on yours? I do at the beginning and it's very noticeable.

E

I have the 'old' version, I didn't even know it was remastered yetEmbarrassed, there's no static on that version that i m aware off. I am intending to get the remastered version of The Masquerade though since it has incorporated the As Good As Gold single Ep, which I unfortunatly lost, such beauty lies bestowed in these songsStarStarStarStarStar
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 23:47
Here's my story of Pendragon. Until the beginning of last year I never heard of them. Then, through reading posts on this site, I learned that Pendragon exists and made a lot of records, and some are considered quite good. I downloaded two of these records from one of these Russian sites. I love the music. In september last year, I bought 2 tickets to see them live (Bunde, pRockFest, 15 November I think). I was so impressed with their performance that when I got home, I immediately ordered the DVD "And Now Everybody To The Stage". In January I bought a copy of the CD "The World" in a regular CD shop here in my home town. Recently I ordered "Neo", "The Window of Life", and "Not of this World" from Pendragon's own website.
What I want to say here is that the downloading of the CD's from the Russian site got me acquainted with the music of Pendragon, and I needed that to make me a "fan". If I didn't read about the music (1) and then downloaded those albums (2) (actually "Masquerade Overture" and "Window of Life") I would NEVER have gotten into their music. Now, in less than a year I allready spend a lot on their music and life performances.
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Snakes & Arrows View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 00:51
I love Pendragon and I sure hope that this situation of greedy downloading can amend itself somehow ... If I was Nick I would make CD`s that join each song yet indexed as the next song digitally  so that downloading each file sounds rough and rugged for the listener when put together as an mp3 album  .. probably a silly idea   but I know it ruins the audio effects when there's a 2 second gap between each song  that should run smoothly to the next song unnoticed and downloads may want to upgrade to a retail version ....  asap  Wink
Also no advanced copies to anyone   its a silly idea and that's where the trouble is starting (the enemy is within, trust nobody)  

I think Pendragon are amongst the worlds best Neo Prog band that's how I see things and they fully deserve their recognition and some rewards ,  so many great CD`s  over the years

anyway give Nick a handshake from me and tell him the CD "believe" helped me carry on in a time of life I thought I was  not going to make it

BTW   I didn`t know who you were the other day progchic,   now I do I`m stoked  Big%20smile

Edited by Snakes & Arrows - May 20 2007 at 01:04
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 12:33
I remember my first Pendragon experience. I ordered a Pendragon CD through Half.com, only to have some sort of irish celtish folk band by the same name arrive at my house. I bought the digipak Masquerade Overture a few months later and really was blown away by it.

E
KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 22:17
How much would a band like Pendragon get from a single sale if I ordered off a site like Amazon or in a store? Is it less than if I ordered it from someone like Greg Walker (whom I have never heard of... can someone explain?)? Does this depend on whether the band is an RIAA-affiliate?

I'm asking because I've always heard that artists get very little money from a CD sale; just seeing if that's true or not, especially since Nick Barrett said they get 9.28 from a Greg Walker sale.

Edited by KeleCableII - May 20 2007 at 22:56
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 23:12
Dang, now I'm feeling a bit guilty for purchasing secondhand! OuchLOL

But at least I don't download illegally (actually, even legally)- it's killing the album! But it's apparently the new business thing, so I'm up for whatever gives the artist more money. I just don't want a death knell for the CD- when I buy something, I like something to show for it, not just an arbitrary file on my computer.

I must say though, it certainly helps when an artist makes sample songs or clips available. I am much more likely to purchase their music if I can at least get a feel for what they do. But I don't like hearing all or even most of it- takes the fun out of the first spin!

Edited by Arsillus - May 20 2007 at 23:15
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 02:36
[QUOTE=KeleCableII]How much would a band like Pendragon get from a single sale if I ordered off a site like Amazon or in a store? Is it less than if I ordered it from someone like Greg Walker (whom I have never heard of... can someone explain?)QUOTE]

I personally know a prog label owner/supplier in the UK. He used to sell to Amazon (not sure if he still does) and they would demand a HUGE discount becuase of their buying clout. Often they would insist on a price that would have wiped out all his profit. I expect, but have no proof of) that all large record companies behave in the same way. How else would you get new albums appearing on some of these larger sites at prices of £8,99 for a brand new album?

This certainly would seem to point towards the small and independent supplier returning more money to the artist. In fact, I am in no doubt of this.

As for Greg - not heard of him? What planet are you from? Take a look....

Edited by Glueman - May 21 2007 at 02:37
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 22:36
I only donwload what I cant buy, wheater it is too expensive or just plainly unreachable... it´s not the ideal way, but Im not gonna restrain myself to a lot of good music because of it
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
BoldmanUK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 14:16
Although this is an old topic, I thought I would contribute my point of view.

First a little history:
I first saw Pendragon in Queen Mary College Student Union, Mile End, London in hmmm must have been 1983 ish.  I was very impressed - Nick wore a top hat, which I thought was his attempt to be Gabrielesque, however I liked the music and bought a cassette which had 3 tracks on it... early versions of "Victims of Life", "Insomnia" and "Armageddon".  I still have it!

I kept an eye open for Pendragon and found a "prog sampler" album called Fire in Harmony (or something like that) which had "Fly High, Fly Far" on it and soon after got the mini-album of the same name. I looked out for concerts and saw them again in London at... hmmm maybe Marquee? Then along came The Jewel and I was knocked sideways, loved it! Saw them again at the Astoria and I think I'm in the audience in 9:15 as it was those concerts that were recorded. All well and good, I was a dedicated Pendragon Fan.

Then along came Kowtow. Oh My God! What is this appalling rubbish? I was utterly devastated. It was even worse that Abacab! Dreary, samey and just depressing. I listened to that record 2 or 3 times and have never played it again. It destroyed my trust in Pendragon music and I stopped looking for any more music.

Sorry Nick, but you lost me because of that album.

Fast forward 10 years or so and we have the internet and I discover this site and check up what Pendragon have been doing since I lost faith. Lots of live albums and stuff and a few studio albums. However, my trust having been betrayed by Kowtow, there is no way I'm going to risk my money (of which I have less of now than back then) and potentially get another Kowtow experience.

So I'm afraid you can count me as one of those people who downloaded the Pendragon discography. I  was, though, pleasantly surprised to discover that I liked a lot of the newer material. As a consequence I went out and bought:

The Jewel (Remastered)
Masquesrade Overture
Window of Life
The World

So without that opportunity to sample Pendragon's musical output, I would never have parted with any cash. Nick didn't loose ANY money by me downloading the discography - I'd never have bought the albums anyway. The opposite happened, I actualyl went out and bought the CDs - because its GREAT to have something tangible in your hand you can put on the shelf and be happy you own. Having a downloaded album isn't the same.

All that being said, I'm sorry to hear the financial difficulties Nick is facing - I've been there myself.

However, quality music will sell, bad music will not. Because of a bad album, I stopped attending Pendragon concerts and spending any money supporting the band. Now though, because I could freely check out the newer material, you have got me spending my money to support your efforts again.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 20:46
^ A good anecdote. We should look at this issue in the long run, too. And not just have a download of an album be a "financial loss," and end it there. It could easily make no difference.

For example: Hypothetically, I download "Ambient 1" by Brian Eno, love it and buy "Ambient" albums 2, 3 and 4. Had I not heard the first "Ambient" album, I might not have bought 2, 3, and 4. One could say that without my process, the artist would not have gained anything because I'd likely not have heard of the band. With my process, though the band did not get anything for "Ambient 1," but they would have gained the money from the 3 albums I subsequently bought. 3 albums versus 0 albums. But then again, there are many ways to find out if one likes an artist. The least efficient/productive way is to go by reviews or word of mouth without hearing the music at all. Artists have to face that their music will not be appreciated by everyone, and that one person blindly buying an album, disliking it, and not buying anything else is not a good thing. Gaining loyal fans, as long as not too many financial losses are incurred, is what matters. The only meaningful conclusion is a middle ground, where some downloads occur (the amount dependent on how available approved sources of the band's music samples are) and fans are gained and kept.

Artists cannot and should not expect people to blindly buy their music without sampling it or hearing about it through promo sorts of deals (reviews, etc).

That can work against the artist, too. I know I've put off buying Jethro Tull's debut for at least 3 years because it doesn't appeal to me much, from what I've heard in reviews. Should artists get angry at reviewers for depriving them a financial gain by influencing my purchasing opinions?
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 10:25
There are plenty of legal ways to hear music without illegally downloading it, and the flat truth is less than 1% of people that download it ever buy it.  Internet radio is a great way to sample, the bands myspace page, the label page, amazon, etc.

And to the question about what pays the band best.  typically if you are on Amazon, you're going through several layers of resellers, which means the band probably gets about $4 for the CD.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234