Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Yes Documentary DVD out in June!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Yes Documentary DVD out in June!
    Posted: May 21 2007 at 07:16
5 hours long.. featuring interviews with present and previous band members as well as Eddie Offord, Roger Dean etc.

(this taken from play.com).

The fully authorised DVD is contributed to in exclusive new interviews by current members of the band Chris Squire, Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, Alan White, past members Bill Bruford, Peter Banks, Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes as well as those who contributed to their success; artist Roger Dean, stage designers Martyn Dean and Michael Tait and Phil Carson and Jerry Greenberg of Atlantic Records, who followed their entire career.

The band talk in depth about the creation of their unique sound, battling for recognition, overcoming criticism and multiple line up changes and detailed aspects of recording albums and their spectacular world tours.

The interviews are illustrated by rare and unseen archive footage and photographs from personal collections, original Yes music featuring at least one song from each album including 'Roundabout', 'I've Seen All Good People', 'Siberian Khatru' and 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart'.

Tracklist:

1. Sweetness
2. No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Required
3. Yours Is No Disgrace
4. Starship Trooper
5. b.Dissilusion
6. I've Seen All Good People b. All Good People
7. Roundabout
8. Close To The Edge ii) Total Mass Retain
9. And You And I
10. Siberian Khatru
11. Ritual- Nous Sommes Du Soleil
12. Gates Of Delirium
13. Going For The One
14. Wonderous Stories
15. Release, Release
16. Machine Messiah
17. Into The Lens
18. Tempus Fugit
19. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
20. Leave It
21. Changes
22. Rhythm Of Love
23. The More We Live-Let Go
24. The Calling
25. Open Your Eyes
26. Nine Voices
27. Magnification
28. Iron Butterfly In A Gadda Vidda
29. The Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star
30. King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King
31. The Syn 14 Hour Technicolour Dream

As well as this link from the company who have produced it..

(website features pictures etc)
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 08:58
Hope they get it right this time, i.e. I hope we won't just get tiny snippets of songs with lots of voice-over, as on YES YEARS, which was informative but (from a purely musical point of view) rather frustrating...

Come to think of it, why couldn't Yes clean up the old YESSONGS movie, add some material from the archives, and give us something like that LED ZEP DVD set, or like GIANT ON THE BOX? (And come to think of it even more, why couldn't Genesis and Jethro Tull do something similar with some of those seventies TV broadcasts we can all find on YouTube?)
Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 09:03
And better than YesSpeaks, as well, I hope.

How does Iron Butterfly (#28) figure into Yes history?  I wasn't previously aware of this link.
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 09:39
Originally posted by Codis Codis wrote:

How does Iron Butterfly (#28) figure into Yes history?  I wasn't previously aware of this link.

I can only assume it is to do with them sharing a record label, i.e. Atlantic. I actually have a strange Atlantic LP compilation which features four different acts live, one on each side of a double album. Two of the bands are Yes and IB.
kingdhansak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 05:51

I have read that in the early 70's, Yes toured a lot with Iron Butterfly, as mentioned they were both on Atlantic.

As far as I know, they built a good bond on these tours, so I presume they may have stayed mates for years to come!

Antennas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 14:12

Ah. Yet another Yes documentary. I mean, just HOW MANY are there already? Guess there are still enough fans around that buy just anything they release...

Believe me, I used to be a rabid fan of theirs in their glory days of old!

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 22:51
uhhh... I want that! Documentaries are always welcomed from my part, like the Score one from DT... I have seen it like 4 times already ehehhee, I knwo it´s always the same... but ... I dont know...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 10:41
Well I got this documentary and it wasn't all that great, imho. I have a UK TV special called 'Rock Family Trees' which really does in about 45 minutes, whilst taking in ELP as well, what this took 3 plus hours to do. There's hardly any music- the footage that does appear here I have seen countless times.

Even the interviews broke little new ground, imho. I certainly agreed with the climax though where various people behind-the-scenes felt that Yes should have been in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame YEARS ago (how pioneers like Yes and Genesis are not in there when footnotes like Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers, The Dells, and Percy Sledge alongside big selling but not exactly revolutionary or even all that influential AOR/MOR style acts like Billy Joel, Bobby Darin and The Eagles are is an utter disgrace, imho).

The second disc does have a few oft-seen promo videos (Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Tempus Fugit and Wondrous Stories) and some rehearsal footage from the Keys To Ascension tour but it wasn't all that thrilling. For real diehards/completists only, imho...

BTW, Iron Butterfly were mentioned because apparently Yes toured with them and also Yes bought their PA off them or something along those lines.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:50
Apparently there are ELP documentaries around. I haven't actually watched any of them though. I agree that Yes Years is very frustrating. The bizarrely named Yes Greatest Hits is pretty good and so is the live video of 90125.   
 Post Reply Post Reply