Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis on VH1/VH1 Classic (US)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 14:09
I've heard a few people mention that the crowd was there for Ozzy rather than anybody else. I saw a few bits here and there and it's fair to say that Phil's voice isn't quite what it was but is still good enough, and anyway the last recordings I have from Phil with Genesis are from 1991 so it's not surprising. I wouldn't judge the band's performances on this- it was their first gig together for quite some time. I'm going to one of the UK cinema showing of their Dusseldorf gig on 27th June.
Entity79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 15:14
What was broadcast isn't everything the bands played....each band had a song left out due to time constraints...the missing songs are at VH1's website, http://rock.vh1.com .

The missing song by the guys: Los Endos! Thumbs%20Up

Watching and hearing that makes me excited to be seeing them this fall, they were in perfect form.
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 01:15
How was Keane as their tribute?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 21:41
Originally posted by puma puma wrote:

How was Keane as their tribute?

Not bad but lacked any energy and the crowd didn't help... When Genesis took the stage, at least the crowd was kind of surprised (the younger ones) to see Phil Collins out of his pop persona, and there was an aura of respect...With Keane it was like the crowd was somewhere else, waiting for Ozzy to show up. But the song itslef was competently played.

Man how I would have loved to see Genesis playing Fifth of Firth and leaving all those hard-rock fans in awe at the amount of musicianship you can fit in 9 minutes....
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 00:51
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Man how I would have loved to see Genesis playing Fifth of Firth and leaving all those hard-rock fans in awe at the amount of musicianship you can fit in 9 minutes....

I was thinking the same thing, to play something like The Musical Box or Watcher of the Skies, it'd blow the crowd's minds, similar to when I first showed my friends Genesis. "What is this fantastic music?" Ah I love prog
White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 20:08

I saw the VH1 show, at least after Heart left the stage.... First of all, that incredible idiot Robin Williams ruined the act...While the other artists were introduced by someone who at least seemed to respect them, this guy went and did his act (I no longer know if it's his act of if he really has serious mental issues) and any chance at doing a good presentation of the LEAST known band of the four (for the crowd in attendance, Genesis was the least known) was lost amidst the usual weird voices and stupid jokes. I like Williams in movies or when the situation asks for humour, but yesterday he just blew it. Then Keane played and they did it decently. And then Genesis themselves... They did a small documentary before with shots of Peter Gabriel (almost NO mention of Hackett) and the usual "we wrote better songs after ABACAB" stuff (better radio-songs that may be)... and then they took the stage: first of all, among the more "metallic" crowd, Genesis looked kind of awkward. Their playing was good, as it always is, and Phil Collins sung extremely good, but he looked a little bit past his prime, and specially a little odd in such a "hard rock" event....For me, even though they played "No son of mine" from WCD and "Turn it on Again" from Duke, not their BEST songs (not their worst either), they still sounded better than mundane rock acts like ZZtop and Heart. of course Ozzy Osbourne stole the show, it was obvious from the beginning, and the crowd was more of an Ozzy crowd than a Genesis crowd (actually, I saw one guy singing along "No son of mine"Confused)....

Besides the Williams thing, Genesis did well in such an odd environement. I'm glad that they were not put first..Genesis deserves another venue and another kind of honors, and with TWO MORE members, by the way. But at least the hard-rock-hungry crowd was respectful and it seemed as if everyone was actually paying attention and I saw many young faces caught in surprise at seeing Phil collins singing rock (remember, many young people only know the Phil of Tarzan...believe me, I saw some really surprised faces looking at the bald man in complete amazement).....

The oddest part, though, was after Ozzy finished "Crazy train" and the show was over.... all the honorees took the stage, and among such a, let's say, diverse group of musicians (ZZtop with their long beard, heart with their almost-metallic clothing and red hair, and, well, OZZY), Collins, Banks and Rutherford looked like the grandfathers misplaced at one of their son's (or grandson's) parties... When OZZY hugged Collins, it looked incredibly..ridiculous....You could watch their faces in amazement and laughing at the "insanity" of Ozzy... It was really odd...

But they proved they can play. Poppy, non-Supper'sReady songs, but good rock nevertheless. And Collins can sing. He sat a few seconds behind a second drum set and more faces of surpirse from the young crowd....But his playing sounded stiff, so it's for the better than it lasted like...10 seconds....Long live Genesis! Though much better would it be if two additional members joined....
I thought Williams was the best part of the whole show.  The show sucked and had Robin not had the intro he did I would say it was a total disgrace.  You can tell he is a real fan, first,  because of his age, and second, just because of the references he made.  All the performances sucked and many people they had did not belong there.  Bam is a bum, as is the loser who bit the mouse.  Also, I don't know if I'm the first to say this but, they were suppossed to play Los Endos according to Phil on the preview show.  I got my hopes up and Im bullsh*t at the fact that they didn't.  Obviously, it wasn't them, but Vh1, and Vh1 just shows what corporate whores they are.  They cut it just because it isn't commercial.  So, they can f**k themselves because they're a sh*tty station to begin with, compared to what they could be, especially vh1 classic is a let down.  I was so pissed because it was all I was thinking about.  That's why they had two drum sets.  It was definately for Los endos, not for the twenty second ending to turn it on again.  Well, at least that means they'll be playing it when I see them live.  That's the only consolation from a piece of sh*t show on a piece of sh*t station.
[signature]
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 08:48

I was thinking the same thing, to play something like The Musical Box or Watcher of the Skies, it'd blow the crowd's minds, similar to when I first showed my friends Genesis. "What is this fantastic music?" Ah I love prog

Really? I think you put too much faith into the pop loving mainsteam masses. IF they would even consider this type of playing interesting, Prog would be mainstream.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

Really? I think you put too much faith into the pop loving mainsteam masses. IF they would even consider this type of playing interesting, Prog would be mainstream.

Ouch

I just can't argue with that logic... sadly, it's completely true....Cry
Lota View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 18:03
I just finished watching on VH1 Genesis playing Live. They were pretty good except for the songs that they chose (Turn in on Again and No son of Mine) gee those guys look pretty old, what happened to the young Mike Rutherford, anyways looks like the upcoming concerts will be the same 80's songs Angry.
And In The End, The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 18:22
And you were expecting what?  Gabriel and Hackett declined to tour with them.  Would have  been awkward anyway as they'd have no place in the '80's stuff.  Most of the good '70's stuff couldn't have been done properly without either of those guys.  Still I'll have to catch the VH1 show.  Prog has really passed the other three by.

Say, did they do anything from Calling All Stations?  I bet Collins wouldn't touch any of that any more than Anderson would do Drama stuff.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 10 2007 at 18:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12