Topic ClosedSymphony X (6-27-07) First show of their tour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphony X (6-27-07) First show of their tour
    Posted: May 29 2007 at 01:09
First of all I want to make things clear that I never really was a fan of the band. I found them to be boring and pretty lifeless. It's really a surprise how all of these opinions change in a live setting...

It first started with two openers were Puertorican progressive metal bands in the same vein of Symphony X and others. The first one played 4 songs and they were pretty decent, but they lacked charisma. The vocalist though in the first minute or so hit one of the highest notes I've seen a human do! Needless to say I was amazed. The drummer did a solo that came out great and props for that. The second band, Errant Society was more impressive than the first one. They showed off whenever they could. I personally don't enjoy that sort of playing, but, like Symphony X, seeing them live was something else. The guitarist, Paco Cestero is very famous amongst guitars fans and he's been considered the fastest guitar player in Puerto Rico and I can honestly agree with that. Even Michael Romeo peered through the window when they guy did solos, he was that good! Every member got a time to shine in the songs and they weren't any slouches in their instruments. The bad part, though, was the vocalist. He doesn't fit with the band's image, but aside from that this was a excellent band and I'm grateful for discovering them. You can listen to samples from them here: http://www.myspace.com/errantsociety

Now that the openers were gone it's time for Symphony X... but we had to wait about an hour or so first to set up the instruments, mics and all that. It was one of the longest hours in my life!, but it paid off in the end. These guys sound nothing alike compared to their studio recordings. They sounded far less cheesy, more emotional and more full of life. It wasn't generic or bland and certainly not boring (I'm saying this because, as I said earlier, I'm not a fan of the band and that's what I thought of these guys until yesterday). Russell Allen is one heck of a singer! The guys was very into the music and with the crowd as well. He interacted from time to time with the crowd. He even sang to me! Big%20smile Michael Romeo was great (as always) and with his trendy white shoes with black clothes style. The bassist, Michael LePond, was my personal favorite. This guy is very fast and nimble with his bass and he looked like he was having a blast. Jason Rullo, the drummer, was the driving force behind the band. superb playing and perfectly executed. The keyboardist, Michael Pinella, was really sharp with his solos and quite emotional in the soft piano parts.

They played their most famous songs and started with Of Sins And Shadows from their Divine Wings Of Tragedy album. They also played songs from The Odyssey and three songs from their new album. In the middle of the first set Romeo and LePond started a sort of contest trying to show who can outplay the other. Obviously Romeo won, but it was pretty funny to watch. Also, in the middle of one of the songs a fan climbed up the stage and jumped at Russell, but he reacted in a friendly manner and, jokingly, almost threw him of the stage! After the end of the first set the crowd screamed Odyssey over and over again and when they came back from the break we were still screaming it. Russell looked quite overwhelmed and he started to talk with the members of the band and then he gave what the crowd wanted! This song never sounded so epic, so theatric so climactic than this time! From the first orchestra samples coming from Pinella's keyboard to Russell's last singing part, this "song" was the best part of the night. I never knew how emotional the song was until that day or even how emotional these guys could be (it was certainly impressive, to say the least). And with that the show came to an end. Hearing the song live and hearing it in my CD player are totally different experience. It's like trying to capture an image into words, you can describe it as much as you can, but in the end if you can't see it you won't feel it the same way as the one who saw it.

This was a wonderful night. The opener bands were really great and Symphony X definitely stole the night. I'll keep repeating this over and over again.  I'm not really a fan of stereotypical Prog Metal bands, but seeing these kind of bands live certainly gives you a different perspective of these kind of bands.

I strongly encourage people who aren't really fans of X or Y band, but are still interested in their sound, to see them live. You won't see them the same way again. Take this as a lesson.Smile

Edited by chamberry - May 29 2007 at 01:10

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 08:56
^ I don't think that their live performance is that much different from their studio albums ... I've never seen them live, but I know their live double album. But I agree that many prog metal studio albums can come across as being a bit emotionless ... although I'd rather call it disciplined.

Looking forward to seeing them in my home town in October - they'll open up for Dream Theater! SyX + Dream Theater, this is simply a perfect combination. Big%20smile
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 09:09
Sounds like a great show!

I saw them on Gigantour back in 2005 and they were absolutely great. I might be seeing them in August and then Dream Theater the next day.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 09:27
I think the difference was the energy they had live as compared to a recording... I know, that's pretty obvious, but in Symphony X's case the difference can be clearly felt.

And yes, Arsillus, it was a wonderful show. I'm looking forward to the next prog band to come to Puerto Rico. Hopefully it won't take too long *fingers crossed*.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 14:34

Excellent review Ruben, i won tickets ofr their concert here last Saturday, i had a good time as well, i think the setlist was the same as in Puerto Rico and actually i only recognized Of Sins and Shadows and The Oddyssey which was an excellent performance, i am not fan of the band i dont really listen to their music, but it was a good evening.

Also Mexican band Agora opened the concert and played half an hour they are good as well.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 14:43
I agree. I didn't know more than 1 song by them when I saw them back in May, but still found their show to be very interesting. Great live band, for sure.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 15:06
Good to see other people sharing my opinions of them.Thumbs%20Up

Also, Agora would've been a great band to open for Symphony X. It must have been a great show indeed, memo.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 15:52
seeing Symphony X in October with some other group... called Dream Theater I think it was.   I've heard samples from them a couple of years ago (a fellow bassist friend of mine is nuts about their bassist).. and I did like what I heard.

should be really interesting....
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 20:57
They come to Atlanta in August, but i will be away Cry. Do you know the name of the Puerto Rican band? They sound interesting
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 21:04
The band's called Errant Society.
Here's their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/errantsociety

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 21:07
Oh, I thought errant society was another band. I meant the one with the good vocalist.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 21:11
Oh! Sorry. I wish I could hear the name when they shouted it, but people were screaming all around so I didn't heard it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 21:12
bummer, maybe someone else whos sees them can aid us.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 00:54
Great!! Clap I was when they came to my country (more than a month ago), and the concert was completely awesome and INTENSE, despite the not so good sound quality. They completely blew out my head. And I'm glad you realised how great Symphony X are. Listening to their albums is very good, but the intensity of a live show is not comparable!
 Post Reply Post Reply