Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMerkaba (Prog Metal/Heavy?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Merkaba (Prog Metal/Heavy?)
    Posted: June 11 2007 at 21:43
From USA (Oklahoma). Difficult to categorize. Thoughts of Porcupine Tree.

From their MySpace page

Band Members:
Joshua Adams-Vox, 2nd vibrating strings
Carl Robota- 1st vibrating strings, midi interface
Jaron Stewart-Percussive implements
Jay Roe - Bass guitar.

Influences:
Progressive thinkers of all sorts. Music that cannot be classified or contained by feeble labels assigned at the time of release. I.E. NOT NICKELBACK!

Sounds Like:
Progress... loud, heavy, progress.

www.myspace.com/merkaba
www.merkababand.com

Edited by ComfortablyNumb - June 14 2007 at 16:11
zFrogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2007 at 19:28
Hi Phil,
Really great band, well done. I add Merkaba on myspace, remember Tool a little bit. Hey check my post here http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38026.
And feel welcome here on PA.

Eri
https://www.instagram.com/erifrog/
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 00:10
So I was just looking through all the pages here in the Unsigned Band section, and I saw this thread by ComfortablyNumb, who I know for having a good record of finding good bands with releases.  Well these guys don't disappoint. 

Merkaba have a sound that is a mix of Tool and Porcupine Tree in my eyes, although it reminds me mostly of Tool (a lot like Tool).  The songs here are pretty cool and enjoyable for fans of Tool-like metal.  My only problem with the band is that they seem to be a little bit of extreme elitists towards progressive music, even though (not to bash the band) their music isn't extremely progressive, for example the way Frank Zappa changed music.  I guess my point is maybe they could cool down on the whole Progressive idea and just make some music that's their own (to see what I'm talking about, just read their description and influences on their page).

Anyways, they do have an album out called "Seven", which is what most of the songs on the Myspace page are from.  They're also in the production of a 3 song EP that is due this Spring/Summer.  I think the PMT should have a look first at them and if not them than Heavy Prog can.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 00:18
It is good music, but I think that it is highly derivative of Tool. The singer sounds like Maynard a bit too much, and they really should cool down on the whole progressive thing, since as I stated, the music is rather derivative. With all that talk of progress I thought that I was going to be hearing something completely new. 

I don't know if I'd recommend it to the PMT, I don't think it really seems heavy enough for that. Heavy prog might be a good fit though.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 00:19
However, if they were to be added to PM I think they might fit in well in the experimental/post metal sub (that is where Tool is), as a lot of bands there don't seem to be too heavy. 
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 13:47
Moved to Suggest. Great job guys!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 16:27
I listen to the samples ... as far as I am concerned they would fit better in Heavy Prog than in Prog Metal. I can't really hear the similarities to Tool, at least not as far as *metal* elements are concerned.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 20:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I listen to the samples ... as far as I am concerned they would fit better in Heavy Prog than in Prog Metal. I can't really hear the similarities to Tool, at least not as far as *metal* elements are concerned.

I agree that heavy prog would fit better than metal, as the music is not fully metal, but only influenced by it, at least that is what I am taking from it.

The Tool influence I hear is in the vocalist very strongly, he seems to be going for a voice like Maynard's, and also musically they seem to be trying to go for that same sort of almost heavy quasi psychedelic sound Tool has been having on their past couple albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply