Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Dire Straits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 22:10

Interesting to note that the 80's version of Yes or a band like Asia makes the cut on the site -- based entirely on their members' 70's pedigrees -- and a band like Dire Straits, who were at the time clearly during that era more competent than either Yes or Asia, gets the thumbs down.  Not saying DS should be included here, however.  Knopfler and the crew made some great albums and they always were for lack of a better word "atmospheric", but it wasn't prog to me.  Nonetheless, that's what I was listening to in the 80's, not the dinosaurs.

Jim
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 22:13
They have their proggy moments (Telegraph Road for example) but I don't think they should be included. Still a great band though, and albums like Love Over Gold remain as one of my favorites!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 02:39
i am a big fan of Dire Straits, i have all their albums - Love Over Gold is a strong case for calling them a Prog band but one album does not make a band Prog. I think they have been proposed in the past but are on the rejected list. Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 19:08
I don't see them very much prog, despite having a handful of long tracks. Actually, their best work (for me) are their early Dylanesque/JJ Cale laid back pub rock albums...

Not for addition!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 19:22
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Interesting to note that the 80's version of Yes or a band like Asia makes the cut on the site -- based entirely on their members' 70's pedigrees --

The policy of the site is to add all albums from a band to keep the coherence, we are all concious that some iconic bands made terrible albums in the 80's, but they earned their right with the Prog albums.

and a band like Dire Straits, who were at the time clearly during that era more competent than either Yes or Asia, gets the thumbs down. 

Prog Archives is not an award, thousands of great bands are not here despite they made wonderful albums and some terrible Prog bands are listed here, we add Prog bands not for their quality, but because they are part of the genre.

In the same way we try not to add non prog bands despite how good they are because it's a Prog database.

Not saying DS should be included here, however.  Knopfler and the crew made some great albums and they always were for lack of a better word "atmospheric", but it wasn't prog to me. 

I agree with both statements, I love Dire Straits, but their are not Prog or related, as simple as that

Nonetheless, that's what I was listening to in the 80's, not the dinosaurs.

I wouldn't call them dinosaurs, because duinosaurs bvecame extint, while most of them are still touring and some even releasing albums, in my case I spent the 80's learning about the music of the 70's.

Welcome to the forum.

Iván.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12