Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmbient Space Music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ambient Space Music
    Posted: August 10 2007 at 11:47
This genre (often classified as a subgenre of New Age Music) is sort of an outgrowth of Tangerine Dream/Schulze styled stuff. I definetly think some artists in this genre should be added to the archives under the "Progressive Electronic." At the very least some artists should be labeled as "prog related." Representative artists include Constance Demby, David Parsons and Tuu.  Anyone else who listens to this small subgenre agree/disagree with me?
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 08:39
We appreciate this genre and if you look at the actual progressive electronic page, you'll see that many ambient artists have been recently added...we constantly work on it without accepting everything.
This scene is abundant and we try to avoid inclusion of artificial mainstream new age recordings.  Ok for "deep listening" / isolationism if it's not "cheesy"
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 08:48
Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting is one of my favourite electronic ambient albums.

A very good ambient band - NOT on PA - is Steven Wilson's Bass Communion, yet another side project.

Sorry, didn't see the question asked. As I see it, there are 2 kinds of prog: music that progresses, and progressive music. The former is music that changes, that is complex, that focuses on the music. The latter is music that is progressing away from typical music, and trying to be totally originally.

The first category:
Rush, Dream Theater, Genesis (mainly), Yes, et cetera.
The Second Category: Porcupine Tree (to an extent), Kayo Dot, and all these ambient artists.

I think by not including these ambient artists, we are being unfair to the second category of progressive rock.

Edited by Shakespeare - August 11 2007 at 08:51
 Post Reply Post Reply