Topic ClosedThe Band remains the same

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Band remains the same
    Posted: March 26 2004 at 16:00

An inevitable feature of most bands is that members will come and go, but when is it right to continue use the Band name, and when should it be gracefully retired? Some examples for your opinions -

Fleetwood Mac started out as Peter Green's blues band, but later became a pop rock band with a female lead singer. Should "The Green Manalishi" be considered to be by the same band as say "Don't stop"?

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe was made up of 80% of the Yes line up which recorded "Fragile", yet it's never been afforded its (true) status as a Yes album. Is this right? Does it matter so much if it's the bass player or drummer who's missing as say the guitarist or singer?

Thjis Van Leer is apparently touring with the members of a Focus tribute band, but using the name Focus. Will fans feel they have really seen "Focus"?

Two of the members Barclay James Harvest now release names in that name, with the appendage "Through the eyes of.." John Lees or Les Holroyd as appropriate. Is such a 9 word band name just a marketing tool? Will it indeed sell more albums?

Roger Waters reckoned if he had kept the Pink Floyd name for his solo albums, they would have sold millions more, Was he right? Would they have been as valid as Pink Floyd albums as "Momentary lapse.." and "Division Bell" were?

Should mark numbers be used, like those often used to refer to the various Deep Purple line ups (Deep Purple mk3 etc). Speaking of whom, did the Black Sabbath albums with Ian Gillan and Ronnie James Dio singing on them really sound like they were by Black Sabbath?

Should the Current Asia line up still be using the name Asia when Wetton, Howe and Palmer are long since gone, leaving only Downes from the original line up?

I'm sure there are many more examples, perhaps we could come up with a set of "rules"?Smile

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 16:37

First off I don`t think waters would have done any better had he called "himself" Pink Floyd. As far as I`m concerned al his solo stuff outside Pink Floyd is pretty weak. If anything, he would have killed the name. Good thing Dave and the boys won the rights, they did produce some great music without Rog.

I think some bands should just ditch the name if the essence of the music changes for whatever reason, personel change, abrupt change of musical direction etc.

I mentioned in a previous thread and in a review that I think that Thijs van Leer could have gotten away with calling the latest Focus incarnation something like The Thijs van Leer Project or The Thijs van Leer Band because of his reputation I`m sure people would have bought it just the same because it is a killer album in it`s own right but it`s not the Focus of old especially without Jan Akkerman!

When Bob put King Crimson back together again in 1980 with Adrian, Tony and Bill I saw them here in Montréal playing stuff from what was to become Discipline and that`s what they were billed as Discipline. And that would have been fine with me because it didn`t have anything to do with the earlier 1970`s Crimsons. I was even suprised that the band was even called King Crimson when the album did come out.

I saw Black Sabbath with Ian Gillian butcher some old Ozzy songs but for the encore they did Smoke on The Water and Child In Time and the crowd were chanting for more Deep purple songs. If they would have come out and played a whole set of Deep Purple Classics I think everyone would have walked away a lot more satisfied because that`s all everyone was talking about the next day! So go figure

Edited by Vibrationbaby
StarshipTrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 16:38

Well you have The Who currently touring with just two of the original members. I personally cannot see how they can justify calling themselves The Who. I suppose if they were to give themselves a new name, then they would have to play some new original material and not a whole night of Who music, so I suppose Its a lazy way of making money, cashing in on a once great band.

If you were to put the same scenario to Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, could they justify calling themselves The Beatles? I dont think so, so why Who fans can believe they are watching The Who is beyond me I'm afraid.

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 17:12
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

First off I don`t think waters would have done any better had he called "himself" Pink Floyd. As far as I`m concerned al his solo stuff outside Pink Floyd is pretty weak. If anything, he would have killed the name. Good thing Dave and the boys won the rights, they did produce some great music without Rog.

I think some bands should just ditch the name if the essence of the music changes for whatever reason, personel change, abrupt change of musical direction etc.

When Bob put King Crimson back together again in 1980 with Adrian, Tony and Bill I saw them here in Montréal playing stuff from what was to become Discipline and that`s what they were billed as Discipline. And that would have been fine with me because it didn`t have anything to do with the earlier 1970`s Crimsons. I was even suprised that the band was even called King Crimson when the album did come out.

The chameleonic changes Fripp regularly put King Crimson through would probably justify the KC name during the 80's version. Each incarnation was markedly different then the next, except Bob's tone.  

I agree with you about Watters solo output.  At least Dave and the boys kept the basic sound of Pink Floyd, even if they had to add a few members and hire a lyricist.

Most of us here would have preferred to have Genesis changed to the Phil Collins Band after Hackett left. Spock's Beard is defintely a different band, sonically and lyrically, with Neal Morse. A name change would be appropriate.

I remember when John Bonham died, the remainder of Led Zeppelin said they would never use the name again, because LZ died with Bonzo.    

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 17:13
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper StarshipTrooper wrote:

Well you have The Who currently touring with just two of the original members. I personally cannot see how they can justify calling themselves The Who. I suppose if they were to give themselves a new name, then they would have to play some new original material and not a whole night of Who music, so I suppose Its a lazy way of making money, cashing in on a once great band.

If you were to put the same scenario to Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, could they justify calling themselves The Beatles? I dont think so, so why Who fans can believe they are watching The Who is beyond me I'm afraid.

Didn't the Who already have two farewell tours?

Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 17:43

I think keeping a bands name no matter how much the people and the stlye changed is mostly marketing ie: you'll sell more album by using a popular known name versus a new unfamiliar name .

Its a legal issue really which has nothing to do with artistic values/integrity.

I guess Its about who owns and controls the name of the band (members and/or record company)  and to what percentage.  Maybe a rule of 50% of the original members must be there or 50% of the original composers must be there in order to keep the name ?

I think with ABWH it was a legal issue and were not legally allowed to use YES although logically it was a YES album !

RobJ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 20:34
If I recall correctly, Squire got to keep the name Yes after he initiated legal action to do so (apparently he did this to preclude use of the name by the band which became known as AWBH). Since Chris never "left" the band, and being one of the bands co-founders (Jon being the other), the judge's ruling went his way. 
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 21:55

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Spock's Beard is defintely a different band, sonically and lyrically, with Neal Morse. A name change would be appropriate.

How about SPOCK'S MUSTACHE?

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 22:10

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe was made up of 80% of the Yes line up which recorded "Fragile", yet it's never been afforded its (true) status as a Yes album. Is this right? Does it matter so much if it's the bass player or drummer who's missing as say the guitarist or singer?

ABWH goes into my collection in the "Y" area, just after "Big Generator and just ahead of "Union".

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Roger Waters reckoned if he had kept the Pink Floyd name for his solo albums, they would have sold millions more, Was he right? Would they have been as valid as Pink Floyd albums as "Momentary lapse.." and "Division Bell" were?

And Waters would likely have been correct, for an album or two.  But to me and I think the majority of PF fans, Gilmour, Wright and Mason (and company) have made music more pleasing to the ear than what Waters has since he left.

I've never been able to figure out what Waters is so bitter about in the first place.  Did somebody steal his puppy when he was seven years old?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 15:55

Stormcrow

Tommy Bolin.... I loved his work with Billy Cobham "Spectrum." Blistering solos.

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 01:01

ok...

first a comment: the ONLY BAND THAT REMAINED THE SAME AFTER 28 YEARS is RUSH, erasing the lttle detail of the first drummer in the first record, and, well...

i can tell you that Chris Squire is the only constant in YES history (if you have any doubts, look at Drama), so at the end he still owns the name, but the several incarnations of Yes along the years have been overrated and underrated.

What about Emerson, Lake & Palmer?... then Powell then "3" then... booom!!!, it is not the same without the original members, and considering a vey tight group... you can figure that out

Pink Floyd is not the same without Waters, but as long as they survived the first dramatic change loosing Syd barret, they must keep the rights of the name, well, they used to kept it, because i heard they're over

in some cases, they loose the songer, but what happen next? cases: Marillion, Dream Theater...

Constant changes:

King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Hawkswind, Kansas, Asia (you named it), Genesis (at least by "loosing them"), and many more

And of course i can name Zappa in here, but as long as he has been as Miles Davis in Rock, i can´t tell you that he was the school for gifted musicians, period

so... i agree that some times you can recall a meeting if certain persons should be using the name of certain band, but as long as they OWN the name legally, there's nothing to do about it

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 03:29

Quote: What about Emerson, Lake & Palmer?... then Powell then "3" then... booom!!!, it is not the same without the original members, and considering a vey tight group... you can figure that out

Totally agree.ELP was Emerson,Lake and Palmer.Cozy Powell changed the band significantly ,so much so that Greg Lake was forced to change his singing style and adopt a more 'gutteral' approach.The album that followed was a dissapointment to me.I would have rather they had used a different name altogether to promote it and not 'tainted' ELP with it.

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 16:18
And what about Genesis without Gabriel and Hackett? Band must be re-named "The Phil Collins Band" or "Poppy Boys" or something...
Radioactive Toy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 16:21

Originally posted by Marcelo Marcelo wrote:

And what about Genesis without Gabriel and Hackett? Band must be re-named "The Phil Collins Band" or "Poppy Boys" or something...

This really is one of the majure disasters in the history of prog (as far as I know)

Reed's failed joke counter:
|||||
R.I.P. You could have reached infinity....
elfangio View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 17:04
Originally posted by Radioactive Toy Radioactive Toy wrote:

Originally posted by Marcelo Marcelo wrote:

This really is one of the majure disasters in the history of prog (as far as I know)

I find it sad that many prog fans called Collins a "sell-out" for trying another style. Oh, and BTW, when will you guys understand that pop doesn't mean bad? I know a whole bunch of pop bands which are WAY better that many prog bands.

On a side note, I also think that bands (especially bands that claim to be "progressive") have to evolve at one time in their career. Genesis is one of my favorite prog bands, but it would be if they had continued to make albums of the same vein every year during the next 20 years after Gabriel left...I don't think you should consider that as a loss for prog, as new bands still appear, with new ideas and reinterpretations of the meaning of prog music.

Great shredding is cheddar cheese on a taco (Ron Thal).

"Mr Neal Morse from Mars, by way of Las Vegas and Nashville"
raggy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 20:14

XTC (brilliant somgsmiths though not prog in the classical sense, I admit) recorded some great neo-retro-psychodelia under the name THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHERE. Two bands playing totally different music, consisting of the same line-up simultaneously. Saves a lot of confusion.

On the pre/post Gabriel/Hackett question, when a band that once produced "Selling England" ends up knocking out sad rubbish like "I Can't Dance", it's clear they lost the right to call themselves progressive a long time ago. Regressive, more like!

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 12:35

Yes, Elfangio, not every pop means bad. Alternative pop (Anathema, Radiohead, Coldplay) is pretty good, and some traditional pop bands too, but when you think that some guys who created (or helped to create) incredible music turned to elemental pop only by commercial interests, something's wrong. I agree with Raggy's "regressive" term in these cases.  

Post Reply Post Reply