Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis Hollywood Bowl 10-12=2007
    Posted: October 14 2007 at 00:44
Whoever says it never rains in California is a complete idiot. Wink

Think I have seen my most favorite concert in the new millenium. The set list is the same as the the Euro and American tour to date. So what I am going to say is my editorial on the whole "Genesis Controversy". The argument being are they a prog band are they a pop band and the answer is yes.

My take on the whole show is this Genesis revel in their past. They love to show we are more than just the radio songs. We can play prog and not only that do not care what you think when we play 30 year old songs and themes. They did that very well. On the other side they are neither afraid nor embarrassed to play their "pop" hits either an do not care what you think of that as well.

If you can't accept this then don't go to see them or comment if you haven't. This band has earned their mettle. (I have seen this band several times in their prime before they were popular from1976-1981)

The light show was unbelievable and the best production I have ever seen at any rock show. I am still stunned thinking about what they did visually and even more so what could they do with The Lamb with Steve and Peter? The only complaint was the rain. In the Hollywood Bowl the precursor to all Amphitheater style arenas it rained. It rained once during Throwing it all Away (which Stacy said was an act of God) then it poured during Tonight Tonight/ Invisible Touch (Which Stacy really said was an Act of God) and we did not hear the encores because it was too wet and equipment was starting to fail. Phil Collins announced that they could not continue. Pretty classy not sending a crew member and doing it himself.

Too Bad.

If the last Thing I ever heard Genesis do was the Carpet Crawlers (which was planned) it would have been fine. As it is Invisible Touch may be leave a bad taste in my mouth for years. Even still a great show Highlighted by a Firth of Fifth/ I Know What I Like Medley that was accented on the back screen of pictures of all the member of Genesis including Ant Phillips, Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel. What a fantasic tribute!

It was a great show. Not the Best Genesis show I have heard but maybe the best I have seen and maybe the last.Cry

Edited by Garion81 - October 14 2007 at 13:49

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 05:36
Yeah, I read about the rain. The following night at the same venue was the last of the tour, I believe, and Phil said the following (courtesy of the Turn It On Again Genesis forum: http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=tour&action=display&num=1192351828 ) Would be a shame to think this is going to be the end as I've barely read much negative about this tour amongst fans and even the press. Even some UK reviews and Rolling Stone magazine were very complimentary about this tour...

Starting with the finish....Phil gave a lengthy speech before Carpet Crawlers where he thanked the crew and everyone involved with the tour by name. He said since "nothing was planned" after this tour, that the night was extra emotional.

Then he really surprised me by saying,
"I've never said this publicly or privately, but Tony, I love you. And Mike, I love you."

"But since we're British, we'll carry on now. This is for you LA. We've been coming here since 73 at the Roxy."

And then they played Carpet Crawlers, and for the first time, almost nobody left."

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 13:46
^ Very cool.  Thanks for posting that. That 73 show at the 400 seat Roxy was the only date they could book east of Chicago!  In 1980 They played a few select spots on their Duke tour and one was the Roxy.  I was extremely fortunate to have been one of the 400 in the Roxy that night. The band were in the booth selling the tickets and they autographed each one. (No Tony didn't smile at that show either, Maani and I was close enough to him to see his face through out the entire show. LOL) It was pretty cool to see Genesis without the lights and stage show. How much were the tickets? $10! Less than what I payed to sit in the lodge section of the Long Beach Arena (seats about 15,000) on the same tour  The encored with The Knife. That is a very special memory for me.

As it was Friday night we didn't even get to see a bow because it was raining so hard they just ran off the stage and just Phil came back to announce they couldn't continue. Cry  I remember seeing of the nearest big screen water on Tony's keys and it explains why things were cutting in and out sometimes during the set.  You know it didn't spoil it for me because they  braved through it like the true pros they are.  The only complaint from Phil was "What is it with Genesis and f**king rain? You just announce Genesis is doing an outside show and whoosh!"  He then said "stick with it and it will pass." I wonder if it brought back bad memories for them from the 70's when equipment would break down more often than not. I was glad we bought some plastic ponchos just in case. Smile We were getting some pretty envious looks during that big downpour at the end. LOL

I wish we could have been there last night to see that final show though. Unhappy

Edited by Garion81 - October 14 2007 at 13:51

morgan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 14:38
I was fortunate enough to see both the Oct 12 & 13 shows at the Hollywood Bowl and have to say they were both phenominal! The rain caused some difficulties on Friday night but the band played through it and gave an awesome performance enshrouded by the watery mist. The show got cut a little short because of electirical problems, but they left you with fond memories nonetheless!

The sound, visuals and renown light show were impecable as you would expect, and the opening "Behind the Lines" started each night off with confident energy. "In the Cage", "Duke's Travels", Afterglow", "Cinema Show", "Firth of Fifth", "I Know What I Like" "Los Endos" and "Carpet Crawlers" were the hallmarks of the shows; these early years Genesis jam sessions left the crowd standing in awe at the bands precision timing and execution. All the while the backdrop screen visuals and ferocius lighting enhanced the mind blowing experience! Smoke aromas rose above the crowd many times over as these songs were performed!!!!

A sleeper on the set list, but one that entranced the crowd both nights was a soulfully performed and sung "Ripples"! "Domino" was nicely laid out both musically and visually as well! Fantastic shows! The only way it could have been better; If Gabriel and Hackett showed up for a classic tune or two! We may have just seen the last stage assembly of this great band, and WOW the final two shows of this tour were stunning!
morgan
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 15:11
Here is the one picture that came out on my camera phone.  I probably could have sneaked in a camera since they didn't pat us down. Cry

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 15:33
Looks like the last of Genesis US tour.  Totally snubbed us here in Atlanta.  Well anyway the the main outdoor venue, Chastain Park is really awful.  A bunch of rich people from the neighborhood get tables up front and could care less about the music.  It's just blah blah blah, that they could be doing at home and the blah blah blah, typically drown out the music for the rest of us.  I won't ever go there again but I've heard  some artists have gotten pissed off about that mid show.  The other outdoor venue, Lakewood, is also atrocious.  I saw Yes on the Onion tour there.  You pay way too much to sit on your ass in grass.

Nevertheless, appears Genesis is giving their prog fans their due with this tour.  They were totally dissing us at the height of their popularity.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 08:36
Here's Phil's last speech...

forte88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 18:55
Of course the rain during the show was detrimental to the show.  As much as many other fans just seemed to love it, I could see Tony Banks totally frustrated the whole night.  His keyboards were soaked.  At first the rain was kinda fun and electrified the audience a bit, but it soon turned into a distraction (for me anyway) and honestly, a pretty dangerous situation.  The band played on as long as they could.  I'm surprised it went on as long as it did, and that there weren't more electrical problems than what happaned.  During Ripples there was a loud crack and pop in the P.A. system toward the end of the instrumental section.  By the end of the show, water was streaming through the lighting cans above the stage and there was a steady stream of water splashing a few feet behind Tony.  During IT, I believe that the keys finally had water seep into the key sensors.  It sounded like a MIDI lock-up.  A chord that Tony hit failed to stop sustaining, and he or a tech unplugged it within a few bars after it happened.  It was reset, Tony swiped his hands up and down the keyboard to see if it was working, and apparently it wasn't working correctly, or he didn't want to deal with it anymore, so he stopped playing altogether through the rest of the song. It must have been horrible on stage.  As a keyboardist myself, I can totally relate to what Tony must have been going through.  Being a prog era fan "mostly" myself, I was really dissappointed for missing Carpert Crawlers, but missing ICD wasn't that big of a deal for me. 

I thought the setlist was better than the last two previous tours, but still felt that the shortened FOF isn't AS effective or moving without the rest of the song.  I personally was dissappointed that Tony removed the the piano intro live sometime in the mid 70's.  Now we get much less.  I'm glad they played what they did, but it would have been nice to get a full version of something besides "In The Cage", and Afterglow.  Even Ripples was shortened a bit.   IKWIL was in it's entirety, but I never really considered that one of the  "prog era, complex works".  It was probably the poppiest thing they wrote back then. I will admit that it is a crowd pleaser.

I thought Phils voice sounded good.  The lowered key for Turn It On was probably the only noticable thing that felt out of place for me.   Considering the weather, I thought everyone played well.  Despite the few extra older songs on this tour, I felt that they kept it simple.  When I see bands like YES still playing complex music like "Awaken" , "Ritual", and "Close to the Edge" (the list goes on and on) and playing the full versions, I feel a little let down that Genesis doesn't do the same. I know Genesis had more of a commercial success than YES in terms of the pop era music, and they need to also cater to those fans, but it  is just frustrating for me personally to know that there is so much talent and potential on that stage, and they have simplified to this extent.

Now, about the production:  With the big screen behind the band, there was not much room for any lighting above the screen in the Bowl.  The band  tried to compensate for the lack of overhead lighting by placing lights all througout the audience.  For me personally, it just didn't work.  Being outdoors the fog machines in the audience didn't work.  The beam of light really only went a few feet with the fog going straight up. If it wasn't for the rain, I don't think the lights would have had much of an effect at all.  I prefer the traditional lighting stage.  The LED screen did have a few nice moments.  The falling stars over the band was nice.  The fire red backdrop during Los Endows was nice as well, along with the tunnel thing during Domino. The video during IKWIL was nostalgic. But, the LED screen was on almost constantly, and it washed out what limited overhead lighting there was.  I didn't see the dramatic lighting changes match to the phrasing of the music as Genesis had prior to the WCD tour, and what lighting cues were there were overshadowed by the video screen. Was it elaborate?  Yes! Was I blown away like previous tours? No! I really didn't see anything cutting edge in the production as Genesis has done in the past.  Beside the unusual shape of the screen behind the band, I really didn't see anything that set Genesis apart from any other major act touring today. In the past, when it came to production, Genesis was in a league of it's own.  I still however think the lighting was better this time than in the WCD tour, but still not up to my expectations for what I have seen from them prior. 

Despite all the negative things above, I did enjoy the show.  My wife cried during Ripples. That song had special meaning to us.  My son died on October 10, 2005.  At the funeral, I did little speech about the "Ripple Effect", and how our lives and our actions affect others which causes a Ripple Effect. Since the show was so close to this terrible anniversary and Ripples was played, it touched a nerve in both of us.  Thank god they didn't drop it for North America!  I enjoyed the music much more than the production.  Even tho I'm mostly a Prog Era fan, I do enjoy even the pop music, just not as much.  Highlights for me was ITC, FOF (what there was of it), Los Endos, IKWIL, Mama, Second HBTS , and Domino.

Thankfully, this November I will be attending a show by "The Trans-Siberian Orchestra".  They still know how to put on a light show.  Here is a clip if you have never seen them before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CCSeugClR8 I think they come closest to a classic Genesis show.  They also incorporate lasers of every color known and even make it snow in the auditorium and shoot lasers through the snow.  Not a video screen in sight at their shows  Wink
FunnyWays View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 18:54
Saw the band at Twickenham and it tipped it down there aswell and again he the whole "what is it with genesis and the ---ing rain." Great show, ending with Carpet Crawlers, first time i'd seen them, brilliant.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 01:09
Well if this light show sucks than I really don''t know what a good one is. These are all from the HB shows:

forte88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 19:45
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Well if this light show sucks than I really don''t know what a good one is. These are all from the HB shows:  

I never said it "sucked".  I said it wasn't up to my expectations from what I've seen from them previously.  I prefer a traditional lighting stage over the big LED monstrosity behind the band.  I also said the screen had it's moments, but the lights did not move or change to the phrasing of the music as in previous tours.  Also, the lights that were above were washed out by the brightness of the screen when video was playing.  I would have much more preferred some subtle blue and white lighting during Ripples than that scene that was on the screen in the picture you provided;  No beams of light, just a wash of color coming mostly from the LED screen.  Maybe it's just my personal preference, but isn't that what forums are all about?  However, this was an improvement over the We Can't Dance tour which was dismal for production and setlist in comparison to previous tours. 
forte88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 20:13
These are more of the Genesis Stage Productions I remember and love:

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 01:11
Originally posted by forte88 forte88 wrote:

Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I never said it "sucked".  I said it wasn't up to my expectations from what I've seen from them previously.  I prefer a traditional lighting stage over the big LED monstrosity behind the band.  I also said the screen had it's moments, but the lights did not move or change to the phrasing of the music as in previous tours.  Also, the lights that were above were washed out by the brightness of the screen when video was playing.  I would have much more preferred some subtle blue and white lighting during Ripples than that scene that was on the screen in the picture you provided;  No beams of light, just a wash of color coming mostly from the LED screen.  Maybe it's just my personal preference, but isn't that what forums are all about?  However, this was an improvement over the We Can't Dance tour which was dismal for production and setlist in comparison to previous tours. 

Really? This outdid anything they did in the 70's which I saw several shows Including the one I saw in 1980 in a 400 seat club with no light show whatsoever.  The Ripples part was better than 1976.   I was blown away.

forte88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 14:54
For Music; I think the best time to see Genesis was in the 70's.  For Production; the best time to see Genesis was in the 80's.  I'm thankful that they got back together for this tour, and I did enjoy it and would go see it again if I could.  Especially since missing Carpet Crawlers still stings a bit.  Here are my pictures of 10/12/07 show:

Post Reply Post Reply