Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Las Orejas y la Lengua - avantprog from Argentina
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLas Orejas y la Lengua - avantprog from Argentina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Las Orejas y la Lengua - avantprog from Argentina
    Posted: October 24 2007 at 20:31

How about LAS OREJAS Y LA LENGUA, from Argentina? In Spanish, the name means "THE EARS AND THE TONGUE".

They would make a most excellent entry into the avant-prog section of PA. Here are a few samples, since there’s not a Myspace blog nor an official website. Their sound is the result of the combination between fusion, RIO, psychedelic rock and jazz-rock, with even some hints to old-fashioned krautrock.

A video for a track from their first album:

Audio file for a track from their second album: http://www.zonal.net/lasorejas/  

A Youtube video for a track from their forthcoming third album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65keTKFFa9s

It was too much for the DPRP people (http://www.dprp.net/reviews/0238.htm), which might as well be a good signal of something genuinely innovative that should be added here.

They used to be a quintet of guitar-bass-keyboards-flute-drums, until before the recording of their second album, when the guitarist left and the bassist had to fill his role and add guitar duties. Since two years ago, they were back into a quintet again, but not with a new guitarist, but with a violinist.

I think their entry is almost absolutely mandatory!! Arguably, one of the very best of the latest PA entry proposals… don’t you agree?

Kind regards.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 20:45

I already suggested them to my team and we approved it for addition.

If you want to go ahead and write a bio., you're welcome. Otherwise, it'll wait a bit until I have more time as I am drowning in work these days.

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 21:28
Thank you, Avestin. I will write a bio tomorrow or on Friday.

Kind regards.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 09:59
Here is the bio.-

LAS OREJAS Y LA LENGUA is one of the most accomplished art-rock bands to come out of Argentina in recent times. They have caught the attention of many prog e-zines, although they don’t usually feel comfortable with the “progressive” term (nor with the “RIO” label). Anyway, their challenging mixture of jazz-rock, psychedelic rock, RIO-like avant-garde, musique concrete, fusion and electronic experimentation has been translated into two impressive albums in the early 2000s, “La Eminencia Inobjetable” and “Error”.

LOYLL’s inception dates back in 1992, as a pop-rock outfit actually. In the following two years, keyboardist Diego KAZMIERSKI and flutist Rogelio CORTE augment the band’s sound, and gradually, the musical offer becomes more complex and weirder, with more room for improvisational-based ideas. Their first album was recorded as a stable quintet in 1996, but it could only be released in 2002, when the band had already undergone some serious line-up changes. Reviews were highly positive in the Internet (mostly), but back home, the band was going through a critical phase, with the flutist and guitarist Gastón “Gato” LEIRA leaving their spots. As a quartet, with new flutist Diego SUÁREZ in the fold and LEIRA being unreplaced, LOYLL recorded and released their sophomore album in 2003, receiving as much praise as the debut. In comparison, the band’s sound had become a bit harsher and with less fusion elements, still refreshing and well-crafted. In 2005, the band became a quintet again with the addition of violinist Juan BISSO. The featured presence of this instrument in the band’s renewed format is a clear sign of LOYLL’s intentions to keep on reinventing themselves along the way.

Highly recommended to genuine appreciators of RIO, Canterbury, avant-prog and jazz-rock with a strong experimental component.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 10:13
Thanks a lot, I'll add them later today or tomorrow morning.

markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 10:47
New band for me,thanks for the information
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 16:27
I do not know this guys... God do I love this siteeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
SickMyDuck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 22:53
Proud to be argentinian... or something like that Embarrassed
To build a castle... on the sand
 Post Reply Post Reply