FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThreshold to release "Best of"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Threshold to release "Best of"
    Posted: November 03 2007 at 08:22
British Prog metal band Threshold are to release a best of double album this year on November 19th (EU) and 20th (USA) on their old label Inside Out.

Threshold will release their first ever "Best Of" collection in November, featuring over 140 minutes of music from all their studio albums plus some previously unreleased radio edits. The album will be released by Threshold's previous label Inside Out Music. The tracklisting for the compilation, entitled "The Ravages Of Time (The Best of Threshold)", was selected by the band in conjunction with the label. "The decision to include the unreleased single edits was because we know there are a lot of fans who are frustrated when there are edits made but not available on CD", commented Richard West. "Of course there wasn't room for everything but between us we thought it was a good overall list".

The artwork was designed by Thomas Ewerhard, who was responsible for many of Threshold's previous album covers including the iconic Hypothetical and Subsurface. The new cover was originally created for the band's previous album when it had the working title of "Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams". The 24 page booklet will include a new biography written by Trevor Raggatt.

The following is taken from the Inside Out press release:

Eight studio albums, two live cuts and several exclusive fan club releases, plus tours alongside renowned acts such as Dream Theater, Psychotic Waltz, Enchant, Pain Of Salvation and Dead Soul Tribe: Threshold have long left their mark on the international rock music scene.

Naturally, The Ravages Of Time includes important compositions and classics by the band, among them the lavish "Sanity"s End", which effortlessly takes the 10-minute hurdle and proves that Threshold always allow their albums enough space to breathe. "You can"t judge our songs with a stopwatch", guitarist Karl Groom explained some years ago, accounting for the fact that expansive arrangements are part of his band"s concept, as numbers such as "Falling Away", "The Art Of Reason", "A Tension Of Souls", "Innocent", "Fragmentation", and the haunting "Oceanbound" with its memorable line "Let the sky become an ocean, pull me in above my head" prove. Then there are previously unreleased radio edits of "Slipstream" and "Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams" from their current album release, Dead Reckoning, which arrived at the stores in spring 2007, plus rare radio versions of the classics, "Pressure" and "Exposed", which confirm that Threshold"s numbers lose none of their fascination even in this condensed format.

CD One: The Latter Years
1. Slipstream (radio edit) 2. Light And Space 3. Mission Profile 4. Falling Away 5. The Ravages Of Time 6. Phenomenon 7. Pressure (radio edit) 8. Fragmentation 9. Oceanbound 10. The Art Of Reason 11. Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams (radio edit)

CD Two: The Former Years
1. The Latent Gene 2. A Tension Of Souls 3. Eat The Unicorn 4. Consume To Live 5. Innocent 6. Exposed (radio edit) 7. Sanity's End 8. The Whispering 9. Voyager II

"The Ravages Of Time (The Best of Threshold)" will be released in the US on 20 November and Europe on 19 November (Germany, Austria and Switzerland on 16 November).

http://www.thresh.net/

Heres a pic of the artwork:

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 04:46

A great band and hopefully this compilation may introduce them to a wider audience. Already owning all their albums there's nothing here to tempt me to buy it though. I find Radio Edits pretty annoying to be honest. After all, who wants a great track with a 1/4 of it removed.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 14:51
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

A great band and hopefully this compilation may introduce them to a wider audience. Already owning all their albums there's nothing here to tempt me to buy it though. I find Radio Edits pretty annoying to be honest. After all, who wants a great track with a 1/4 of it removed.

They already tried that with their 1999 release 'Decadence', which wasn't entirely successful... and I shall never forget the 'disco remix' version of Paradox....Pinch
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2007 at 10:52
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

They already tried that with their 1999 release 'Decadence', which wasn't entirely successful... and I shall never forget the 'disco remix' version of Paradox....Pinch

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one and I own it too!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2007 at 21:42
not sure what they are trying to achieve with that, I see no point...

The title 'The ravages of time' is very good though as it represents one of their best songs
 Post Reply Post Reply