Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFMPM Tickets are now on sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 17:08
Hello,

Belgian chamber rock group and original Rock in Opposition member Univers Zero will headline the Sunday portion of FMPM 2008. Formed in the mid-1970s by drummer and leader Daniel Denis, Univers Zero has undergone several transformations during its existence, from dark acoustic chamber music inspired by Béla Bartók and H.P. Lovecraft, to a more electronic sound with use of synthesizers in the 1980s, and finally a more melodic, refined chamber-rock for the new Millennium. The ten CD releases that catalogue these three periods are acclaimed by followers of new music and Univers Zero have influenced countless other groups being practically the blueprint for chamber-rock. After avoiding live performance for decades, the modern incarnation of Univers Zero embraced it, with powerful appearances at festivals in Europe and a headlining performance at NEARFest 2004. Their first ever live album was released on Cuneiform Records in 2006, and their first album "1313" is to be reissued by Cuneiform in mid-2008. The current line-up of Univers Zero features Daniel Denis (drums), Michel Berckmans (woodwinds), Andy Kirk (keyboards and guitar), Martin Lauwers (violin), Eric Plantain (bass), and Kurt Budé (clarinet, sax). Univers Zero is currently working on a new studio album.

More information about Univers Zero: http://www.univers-zero.com/

The third edition of the FMPM takes place September 13 and 14, 2008. For more information about the FMPM please visit our web-site at www.fmpm.net

Regards,
Sean

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 17:43
Sean,
Congratulations on this fantastic headline.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 19:41
Originally posted by smcfee smcfee wrote:

Hello,

Belgian chamber rock group and original Rock in Opposition member Univers Zero will headline the Sunday portion of FMPM 2008. Formed in the mid-1970s by drummer and leader Daniel Denis, Univers Zero has undergone several transformations during its existence, from dark acoustic chamber music inspired by B�la Bart�k and H.P. Lovecraft, to a more electronic sound with use of synthesizers in the 1980s, and finally a more melodic, refined chamber-rock for the new Millennium. The ten CD releases that catalogue these three periods are acclaimed by followers of new music and Univers Zero have influenced countless other groups being practically the blueprint for chamber-rock. After avoiding live performance for decades, the modern incarnation of Univers Zero embraced it, with powerful appearances at festivals in Europe and a headlining performance at NEARFest 2004. Their first ever live album was released on Cuneiform Records in 2006, and their first album "1313" is to be reissued by Cuneiform in mid-2008. The current line-up of Univers Zero features Daniel Denis (drums), Michel Berckmans (woodwinds), Andy Kirk (keyboards and guitar), Martin Lauwers (violin), Eric Plantain (bass), and Kurt Bud� (clarinet, sax). Univers Zero is currently working on a new studio album.

More information about Univers Zero: http://www.univers-zero.com/

The third edition of the FMPM takes place September 13 and 14, 2008. For more information about the FMPM please visit our web-site at www.fmpm.net

Regards,
Sean

That line baffles me, as I have seen countless recordings of the band from the late seventies and early eighties. 

smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 22:31
Thanks Assaf.

Jake, they basically did not play live from the 80s through about 2003. I understand there were more gigs during the RIO days (that being the purpose of RIO).
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 02:19
Sweet Jesus this festival looks awesome... and that's only an 8 or so hour drive away... wish I had someone to go with.
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:17
Happy Monday!

Charles Kaczynski was a violinist with the pioneering musique actuelle group Conventum in the late 1970s. After leaving the group, he released his solo masterpiece "Lumière de la Nuit" on which he played more than a dozen instruments. An obscurity long treasured by collectors, it was finally reissued on CD by ProgQuebec in 2005. Featuring a heavy string presence, with piano, guitar, woodwinds, and percussion, this mostly instrumental suite has elements of folk and chamber music and is reminiscent of Mike Oldfield, l'Engoulevent, Flairck, and others. Charles has stayed active in music performing in a variety of settings and styles, and has worked as the musical director and performer with the Cirque Éloize. This September Charles will give an hour-long performance of "Lumière de la Nuit", which will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness one of the highlights of the 1970s progressive music scene in Quebec.

Regards,
Sean
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:41
Wow, you just keep on with the surprises, don't you?

smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 22:42
We aim to please! :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 22:54
damn... picked the wrong day to drink and surf PA's... thought the unabomber took up guitar and got a weekend pass to play at some festival. 

*tosses bottle of wine in trash*
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 15:32
Someone made that very funny joke over on PE too.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 15:48

Someone made that very funny joke over on PE too.

joke???  a joke??  sh*t...  this is PA's not PE... we know nothing about humour hahahhaha. 

*wonders who over there stole my joke hahhaha*
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:04
I am not expecting a lot of pyrotechnics from Charles at any rate :). More along the lines of beautiful chamber-rock akin to Oldfield. This has been one of my favorite Quebec albums for many years and I never thought this day would come.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 23:01

I am not expecting a lot of pyrotechnics from Charles at any rate :). More along the lines of beautiful chamber-rock akin to Oldfield. This has been one of my favorite Quebec albums for many years and I never thought this day would come.

LOL  good deal.. well I hope you enjoy the show.. and be sure do to us up a review... I'm posting in a thread with NO idea who the hell you all are talking about.. so I'll bee looking a review to see what I am missing hahahhah
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:08
World-class fusion trio Spaced Out will hit the stage this September at FMPM 2008. Formed by bassist Antoine Fafard and originally having the name Cortex, several different line-ups came and went before the group were signed to Unicorn to release their first album (self-titled) in 2000. They were the first band on Unicorn apart from label founder Michel St-Père's own Mystery, and are to this day one of its most popular and best-selling groups. Drummer Martin Maheux has been there since 1998, while guitarist Mark Tremblay has been with the group since the live dates following their second album, entitled "Eponymus II". Two studio albums have followed in recent years, 2003's "Slow Gin" and 2006's "Unstable Matter", which was the heaviest to date, allowing touches of metal to fuse with the jazz and rock influences already present. During this time the group has stayed active in a live setting, performing at NEARFest, as well as the Crescendo Festival in France. Two live DVDs are available to demonstrate their prowess. The music of the group is a heavy instrumental fusion that is compared to everything from Return to Forever to Planet X, with Fafard's own bass style reminiscent at times of Jaco Pastorius.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 10:44
I`ve seen this band on a few occasions and they really smoke. I  have a couple of their CDs and I also believe I wrote a review here for their excellent Slow Gin CD. As for the mastermind Antoine Fafard I would place him closer to Alain Caron. Pastorious Confused ???
As for this Montréal festival, I`ve already spoke my mind about it last summer here so......Sleepy.
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 16:16
Some bad news and good news with the FMPM line-up. Rob Reed of Magenta is going to be a father in September, which unfortunately means no gigging for the group at that time. Although we had already signed the contract with the group, we did not feel it was 4reasonable to ask them to perform in a situation where their hearts would be elsewhere. We wish Rob all the best with the new album and his family, and have expressed to Magenta our desire to work together in 2009.

Luckily for us, Dutch modern symphonic rock group Knight Area has agreed to join the FMPM line-up for 2008. Knight Area released their first album, "The Sun Also Rises", in 2004. This album featured old and new material from the band members, some dating back to the 1980s, and quickly made a splash in the progressive rock community leading to an appearance at NEARfest 2005. As promising as the first album was, 2007's "Under a New Sign" takes the group to the next level, with an approach and quality very comparable to British group (and past FMPM headliners) IQ. I would also compare the sound at times to Steve Hackett's solo album "Voyage of the Acolyte." These days with many modern/neo progressive groups changing to heavier or poppier styles, Knight Area shows a mastery of the conventions of symphonic rock, and will delight their growing fanbase in Montreal this coming September.

Although we regret having to change our line-up, we are very excited we had the opportunity to invite Knight Area as a result and it is my belief that this is the strongest FMPM to date. The full line-up for the 2008 event is as follows:

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Univers Zero
Riverside
Knight Area
UnexpecT
Charles Kaczynski
Spaced Out

As always, more info at http://www.fmpm.net and we would love to see you there.

Gold ticket sales begin this Friday, February 1st, and run through the 15th.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 01:45

Knight Area replaces Magenta 

Not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing...
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 15:48
Hello,

Anyone who has reserved gold tickets (or hasn't, but would like to come anyway) can now order their tickets at www.progquebec.com in the web store.

Thanks everyone for your support and we are really excited and hopeful for this year being the best one yet.

Regards,
Sean

smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 18:09
PREMIER CIEL to present HARMONIUM at FMPM 2008
Interference Sardines to replace UnexpecT

Le Festival des Musiques Progressives de Montreal (FMPM) is pleased to announce that Harmonium tribute band Premier Ciel will perform on Friday September 12th, 2008 at the Centre Pierre Peladeau as the pre-show of this year's festival. Formed in 2002, Premier Ciel has gained increased renown for its authentic live renditions of the Harmonium repertoire, and is the only ensemble authorized by Serge Fiori to publicly perform this legendary group's works. Premier Ciel's current line-up includes seven world-class musicians, with the same configuration as the L'Heptade live tour. The group will perform material from all the Harmonium albums, in two distinct sets. Please visit www.premierciel.com for more information. Tickets to the Premier Ciel show will be sold separately as described further below.

Quebec City's Interference Sardines will be replacing UnexpecT, who have received an opportunity to tour the Southern US during
September. This has given FMPM the chance to invite one of Quebec's finest experimental groups instead. With a style combining rock, musique actuelle, improv, folk, jazz, and everything else, most progressive rock fans would most easily classify them as avant-progressive. The band has just released their third album, Spot de Rue, and their entire catalog is available at www.waysidemusic.com.

The complete line-up for FMPM 2008 is as follows: Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (Italy), Univers Zero (Belgium), Riverside (Poland), and Knight Area (Holland), and three groups from Quebec: Charles Kaczynski, Spaced Out, and Interference Sardines, all performing on Saturday September 13 and Sunday September 14, plus Premier Ciel who are performing on Friday September 12. For more information please go to http://www.fmpm.net.

Ticket Sales:
Gold Tickets for FMPM 2008 are currently on sale exclusively at www.progquebec.com at a price of $175 (plus fees and taxes) and entitle holders to reserved seating of their choice. Regular Tickets will go on sale Friday March 7th at 10am at www.progquebec.com, www.admission.com and at the Pierre Peladeau Center (514-987-6919) at a price of $110 (plus fees and taxes). Gold and Regular tickets allow holders to attend all 7 performances on September 13 and 14. Tickets to the Premier Ciel show on September 12 will also go on sale Friday March 7th at 10am at a price of $25 (plus fees and taxes), however Gold Ticket holders can currently purchase Premier Ciel tickets with the same reserved seats as for the rest of the festival by ordering online prior to March 7th at www.progquebec.com.

Regards,
Sean
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 11:09
Hello,

FMPM 2008 tickets are NOW ON SALE at www.progquebec.com and www.admission.com

Line-up:
* Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
* Univers Zero
* Riverside